Educational

Author Topic: Should sex changes be funded by the state?  (Read 1034 times)

Frolic_Fun

Re: Should sex changes be funded by the state?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 02:19:32 AM »
If they do, screening would have to be done to see if the person will transistion well. If they look like they can, they'll qualify. Otherwise you're stuck with what you have. Can't have fucking ugly Barbaras walking in the street now eh? :zoinks:

GalileoAce

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 02:25:11 AM »
Yeah I was thinking you just meant on the street etc, so with clothes on

I did yeah, but then I thought about in more intimate settings...which is another thing entirely

GalileoAce

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 02:26:20 AM »
If they do, screening would have to be done to see if the person will transistion well. If they look like they can, they'll qualify. Otherwise you're stuck with what you have. Can't have fucking ugly Barbaras walking in the street now eh? :zoinks:

Just as we should do pre-natal screenings for Autism. Don't want those damn autistics walking around now eh? :asthing:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 08:56:49 AM »

Just as we should do pre-natal screenings for Autism. Don't want those damn autistics walking around now eh? :asthing:

I fail to see the comparison. A better comparison would be that people wanting to transistion would be similar to autistics wanting a cure.

As for pre-natal screenings for Autism, I would do that if I wanted children. I don't want my children to have the same spazzyness as me. Living with myself was tough enough, minding someone with difficulties that I had would be worse.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 09:00:26 AM by Shleed. »

GalileoAce

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:15 AM »
As for pre-natal screenings for Autism, I would do that if I wanted children. I don't want my children to have the same spazzyness as me. Living with myself was tough enough, minding someone with difficulties that I had would be worse.

To each their own.

I fail to see the comparison. A better comparison would be that people wanting to transistion would be similar to autistics wanting a cure.

My point was that autistics have as much right to life, as trans people do to their chosen gender, regardless of their ability to function in that life/gender.

Funny you should liken transition to wanting a cure. My Mum has now taken to saying that, while I didn't want a cure for my autism I seem to have found one anyway.

Wanting a cure can be similar to transition...But they're not the same the mental mechanism is different.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 09:34:11 AM »
This is all irrelevant. Your journey belongs to you, from beginning to end. The only control people can have over you is what you allow, and trust me, you can't prevent it by all sorts of means.

In short, just do what the fuck makes you feel good folks.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 09:48:55 AM »
I don't think anything has a "right to life" at the moment of conception. Women have the right (or should have the right) to terminate first trimester pregnancies for any reason, autism or otherwise. If I had kids I personally wouldn't want them to be autistic or transgendered. I'd rather have an autistic kid than a trans kid though.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »
btw I don't mean because it would be easier for me or whatever - I mean I would want my child to have the best chance of a decent life and I think being autistic makes that harder and being trans makes that even more harder. If I had kids and they turned out to be autistic or trans I would love them just the same. I would be surprised a child of a trans person was trans though, and maybe worried about what conclusions that would lead people to make

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:10 AM »
We know what you mean, bud. At least I do.  ;)
I will never stop...

GalileoAce

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
This is all irrelevant. Your journey belongs to you, from beginning to end. The only control people can have over you is what you allow, and trust me, you can't prevent it by all sorts of means.
In short, just do what the fuck makes you feel good folks.

While I agree with your sentiment :) it doesn't really add to the discussion... What's you opinion on the whether the treatments should be funded? Or about the legalities of gender recognition...

I don't think anything has a "right to life" at the moment of conception. Women have the right (or should have the right) to terminate first trimester pregnancies for any reason, autism or otherwise. If I had kids I personally wouldn't want them to be autistic or transgendered. I'd rather have an autistic kid than a trans kid though.

Not exactly what I meant. If the woman wants to have a child and a test says they might be autistic, should they, morally speaking, terminate and try again? Or even if a test said they might be trans. Sure the mother has every right to her body, but if she's committed to seeing a pregnancy to full term, then she should be willing to play the genetic lottery. In that context an autistic conception should have as much right to go full term as any other.

I would only screen for life threatening conditions, like heart defects and the like. And let the rest come as they may. I have a really unique view on life that autism and being trans afford me, I wouldn't deliberately seek to remove the possibility of someone else having a similar view on life. A society is enriched by it's uniqueness.

btw I don't mean because it would be easier for me or whatever - I mean I would want my child to have the best chance of a decent life and I think being autistic makes that harder and being trans makes that even more harder. If I had kids and they turned out to be autistic or trans I would love them just the same. I would be surprised a child of a trans person was trans though, and maybe worried about what conclusions that would lead people to make

I disagree. Autism or Trans is no more or less difficult than any other way of being. They have downsides but they also have positives, just as with everything else.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 10:04:15 AM »
I don't really see any positives to being transgendered.

And while there are good things about AS, it is still technically a disorder. It's a disability and from my own experiences autistic people tend to be unhappier than non-autistic people. I wouldn't want to inflict any of what I've been through on another child just to enrich society. That child's quality of life is more important.

If a woman finds out her baby might be autistic/trans and wants to abort it, she should be able to.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 10:10:34 AM »
While I agree with your sentiment Smiley it doesn't really add to the discussion... What's you opinion on the whether the treatments should be funded? Or about the legalities of gender recognition..
The state gets a shitload of money from the citizen, so why not give some back eh? Sure they should fund stuff like this. And it should be legally recognized. Like I said, everyone has the right to do what it takes to make them happy. YES, the right. Even in shitty depressed countries, or even in america in the slums.

I say rebel. Anyway i'm going on a tangent now. You got me started on human rights.  :laugh:
I will never stop...

GalileoAce

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:13:54 AM »
I don't really see any positives to being transgendered.

And while there are good things about AS, it is still technically a disorder. It's a disability and from my own experiences autistic people tend to be unhappier than non-autistic people. I wouldn't want to inflict any of what I've been through on another child just to enrich society. That child's quality of life is more important.

If a woman finds out her baby might be autistic/trans and wants to abort it, she should be able to.

You're not inflicting, or saving anyone from anything. An aborted child can never again exist. So an autistic child with autism removed is not the same as a normal child. Never will be.

Aborting a pregnancy whilst wanting children is a big decision, and people should take into account that each conception is so inherently unique that it can never ever again exist after terminated.

While I agree with your sentiment Smiley it doesn't really add to the discussion... What's you opinion on the whether the treatments should be funded? Or about the legalities of gender recognition..
The state gets a shitload of money from the citizen, so why not give some back eh? Sure they should fund stuff like this. And it should be legally recognized. Like I said, everyone has the right to do what it takes to make them happy. YES, the right. Even in shitty depressed countries, or even in america in the slums.

I say rebel. Anyway i'm going on a tangent now. You got me started on human rights.  :laugh:

Australia is the last western democracy not to have a Human Rights Declaration.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 10:18:38 AM »
Like I said. Its high time for a massive worldwide rebellion against the elites. Elites being people with ridiculous abounts of assets and wealth that they don't need and will not be able to use up in several generations of their families. Ridiculous.

I can't be the only one thinking this.
I will never stop...

Scrapheap

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
how can you possibly justify the expense of having the taxpayers pay for elective surgery for someone who feels they were born into the wrong gender body?

The same way you can justify the many treatments for born conditions that are covered through government subsidies. I don't know how it works in the US, but Australian government subdidises or completely covers many conditions, including Autism, ADHD, Downs, Intersex, almost all congenital conditions. They're all justifiable, but trans is not?

There's something called a cost/benefit ratio AKA law of diminishing returns. Gender reasignment sugery isvery expensive, with no measurable benefit to society.

If you want to get your junk changed, pay for it yourself!!!  >:(