Educational

Author Topic: Should universities use positive discrimination to increase diversity?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Would you even want to get a job or place on a course based on what you are, rather than your abilities? I don't think i would

Scrapheap

Re: Should universities use positive discrimination to increase diversity?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:18:01 PM »
NO!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 02:48:56 PM »
Depends on how much it pays :2thumbsup:

It's all screwed up when they start playing one race against another which this essentially does
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
Would you even want to get a job or place on a course based on what you are, rather than your abilities? I don't think i would

The irony though is the fact they're still discriminating. If one wants to be technical, discrimination starts the moment one discerns racial/sexual/political/religious/etc difference and commits to preferential treatment (positive or negative), and is not based on required criteria that's relevant for the work. This is because if you commit positive enforcements for a certain group, just because they are themselves, guess what? You're still denying another group equal treatment as they're not eligible for it. In a way that's why I also consider political correctness as the ultimate hypocrisy, as it still entails the same discriminative thinking patterns as their bigoted counterparts.

tl;dr: No, I don't think it's right, and I find the notion hypocritical.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:41:19 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
They actually did this at Evergreen State College. Look at the results.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
They do it at a lot of colleges.

I can see the positives - if you have someone who's brilliant but needs a few remedial courses to catch up, it makes sense to pick them over the uninspired rich kid who's had everything handed to them and will probably piss away their scholarship and drop out from drinking. It's a fact that good high schools in good areas have better college prep classes. You can knock out a whole host of freshman credits with AP classes (in the USA) if you do it right. Personal SAT and ACT prep tutors, all that bullshit. You can't get that in ghetto schools.

But simplifying it to race ignores true income disparity. Sure, statistically there might be a higher proportion of ethnic people in poor areas, but it totally screws over the poor white kid and gives an unfair advantage to the ethnic child of two doctors in an upper middle class neighbourhood.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:00:34 AM »
^ I was about to correct you after reading the first paragraph.

Then I read the second paragraph where you hit the nail on the head.   :thumbup:

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 08:49:24 PM »
The title of this thread is sooooo right wing...whether intentional or not.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
The title of this thread is sooooo right wing...whether intentional or not.
The title wasn't written by someone in the US. That might be what they call affirmative action there. It does have a more honest ring to it.

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
That might be what they call affirmative action there.

It is.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
Fair does not necessarily mean equal outcomes. meritocracy makes sense
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Precisely. What is the difference between these two statements:

No, you can't have a job, whitey, because you are not black, chinese, arab, eastern european vs western european

and 'no, sorry we want you because you are black, chinese, arab, polish..'

The only difference is in the one being refused the job, the education, its doing the exact same thing they claim to be fighting, in the name of fighting it.

'fuck off nigger, we want a white man'
vs
'fuck off white boy, we haven't got enough blacks to fill our quota'

About the only difference is they would get in the shif if they actually used words like 'honkey' or 'cracka' in the job interview/school entrance exam. But the end effect is identical. The population differs, but what is done to the population is exactly the same thing these cocksuckers claim to be fighting. Bunch of fucking hypocrites, and if they engage in it, and are not themselves of the same ethnicity they claim to be 'positively' discriminating for, they  should lose their job and have it handed on a plate to the whitey etc. that they just screwed. Just to say 'fuck you, you hypocritical son of a whore'

I am all for assistance for special ed students who otherwise get screwed, like I did, in getting work opportunity support after. At my second autism school (the LFA one didn't even DO exams, at all, had I stayed there I'd have no qualifications whatsoever) I got shafted on my science qualifications. They forced me to take the lower-tier paper, the maximum grade scorable with them was a C grade, with no chance, no matter how well you do, I didn't just do well. I aced the papers. Out of the physics, the biology and the chemistry, I got ONE question wrong, and that by accidentally juxtaposing the formulae for carbonate and hydrogencarbonate (bicarbonate) ions. I KNEW that answer too, I just miswrote because the exams were a stressful time. Hell I use both bicarbonates and carbonates often enough in the lab, to already know the damn difference. And despite a 100% pass rate in two papers and 99% in the chem, due to that one stupid error, I got a C grade. And thats probably denied me jobs, and doubtless means that I'd not get accepted in uni. Had I been ALLOWED to take the higher tier exams, I'd have got 3 A*s. But no. They were a special school and 'sorry we don't do higher tier papers'. I feel cheated big time about that. And I think rightly so. Because had I taken the higher tier paper, and scored like that, I'd have got those A*s, instead of a near worthless mark that means no uni would ever think about taking me.

And you know what? not only did I score that well on the sciences papers. I got the highest scores in science the school had ever HAD. By any student, ever. So basically I was denied my chance at a uni place on the basis of those results. Nobody would take a C-grade student. afaik. WHY? because I'm autistic. Pretty sure, somehow, that for some reason, people here might just be inclined to agree that is a completely and utterly illegitimate way to cheat somebody of job prospects. Do I not deserve the same full degree of credit for the same performance as as an NT?
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 03:36:18 AM »
^Do you want to go to uni?

These days (in Australia anyway) a number of unis have enabling courses for anyone who missed out on uni when they were younger. There's just a minor written test to pass to get in.

I did OnTrack - a six month course about all kinds of uni stuff like how to write essays, reports, understand uni etiquette, etc. I did the "arts" variant, there was a science-based one as well.

There may be something like this where you are Lestat, can't hurt to find out.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
Thanks, Ren. Yeah I'd love to, say, major in organic chemistry and minor in genetics. Sharpen my skills up and broaden my knowledge and abilities. And you never know...unis often end up chucking all kinds of stock out and buying new stuff at the least excuse. I'd be sure to have a quiet word with the tutors to let them know there is a very good home such things as old glassware and electronics could go to rather than in the bin, and that any old reagents could find someone that would clean them up and make sure they got recycled to good use (obviously, excluding stuff like crusty, years-old cans of ether, THF (these  you wouldn't even want to be in the same room with, as they can peroxidize, and the peroxidized ether deposite crystals of REALLY unstable, powerfully explosive alkylidene peroxides in the screw threads of the cap, the moment some poor shitbag tries to unscrew the container, its likely to go off like a hand grenade and tear them to pieces) etc., picric acid stored in metal containers (heavy metal and transition metal picrates form, and these are shock-sensitive primary explosives), iffy-looking containers of unlabelled god-only-knows what, old, not-too-healthy looking containers of hydrofluoric acid and the likes) but anything that could viably be cleaned up and looking for somebody to 'adopt' such things, willing to put in a bit of effort to purify chemicals and rehabilitate old equipment, I'd definitely have to do my best to blag such things:D

Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 09:02:29 PM »
^You definitely have the background knowledge to be able to go. I say go for it and find out if you can. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae