Author Topic: Medical ethics - Respecting Muslim patients' needs  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Medical ethics - Respecting Muslim patients' needs
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/health/01patients.html

I don't think this is just an issue about Muslim women. Plenty of people have concenrs about "modesty" etc when they're in hospital.

Scrapheap

Re: Medical ethics - Respecting Muslim patients' needs
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:26:17 PM »
Islam is more of a communicable mental disease than a religion, really...

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »
 :lol:

Agreed

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »
If I remember rightly, Jehovah Witnesses' do not accept blood transfusions.  Most doctors respect the patient's choice.  I don't recall if a blood substitute has been developed for them or not.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:29:12 PM »
I think it's desireable to accomodate patients religious needs to the extent that it's possible, but it's not always possible to do so without compromising the quality of patient care.  What can a female doctor do if she is the only person available to attend to the needs of a Muslim male or if a male doctor is the only person available to attend the birth of a Muslim female and the Muslim patients refuse to let doctors of the opposite sex touch them?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
If I remember rightly, Jehovah Witnesses' do not accept blood transfusions.  Most doctors respect the patient's choice.  I don't recall if a blood substitute has been developed for them or not.

You're right that Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood transfusions.  I know they can give them fluids, but they refuse even their own blood once it leaves their body, so banking their own blood for an elective procedure is also forbidden.  I guess if I were a doctor, I could respect the right of an adult patient to refuse a blood transfusion, but I would have a much harder time dealing with it if a Jehovah's Witness refused a blood transfusion for their child.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
I agree. But it shouldn't just be about accomodating religious needs. There are other people who would have similar "needs" for non-religious reasons. We shouldn't treat religious people as any more important than non-religious people

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 05:15:00 PM »
A woman only wanting to see a female doctor can be for all kinds of reasons, also if she is a muslima.
Think that, if it is not life threatening, a wish like that can be granted, but, it may mean that the person has to travel further, or has to wait longer.
When it is about saving a life, there is no choice. A doctor has to act there and then, and wishes about gender are not to be taken into account then. Haste is haste, a life is a life.

I am very picky about my dentist. Does make that I have to wait a lot longer to get an appointment, but, to me it is worth it.
But, would I wake with a jaw heavily swollen, and standing on my head because of pain tomorrow morning, I would see the first one available.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:57 PM »
What scares me about being in an accident or something is the doctors taking my clothes off when I get to hospital. I'd rather they just let me die , however selfish that sounds  :P

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 05:28:35 AM »
What scares me about being in an accident or something is the doctors taking my clothes off when I get to hospital. I'd rather they just let me die , however selfish that sounds  :P

They've seen it all before, they would just be doing their jobs.  8)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 06:24:31 AM »
I have had a catheter put in before and when I realised I felt somewhat embarrassed but very glad I was unconscious when they put it in.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
I understand the need for this, and it's not only due to religion. My grandmother was raped when she was younger, she always had an issue with other men touching her even doctors.

I have issues with people touching me period some days, but if it has to be, then normally I'll pick a male Dr.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
Everybody has a right to refuse treatment and to leave a hospital if the treatment doesn't measure up to their preferences. If a patient were incapacitated and unable to give their preferences to the doctors in an emergency situation, I would have thought that ideally their family or medical proxy could advocate for them, or they could wear a medical bracelet or carry a card in their wallet.

I don't think a doctor should have the right to disregard a patient's stated religious wishes, whether it's about receiving blood transfusions, wearing a hijab in the operating room, or anything else. If they can't accommodate them, they should explain that and give the patient the choice of what to do. Trauma's a stickier case though... I know that personally, I can't bring myself to force medical treatment on someone who's refusing it, even if it might be lifesaving. But I also know people who've been in the opposite situation, refusing treatment and had it forced on them and been glad of it afterwards. I think it comes down to whether or not you respect a person's right to die, or to decide something like "I'd rather die than be raped again". It's something I like to know about people I'm close to long before the situation comes up... whether or not they want their wishes overridden in an emergency.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 06:00:13 PM »
Or just remove the religious bullshit. A lot less fussy patients! :thumbup:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »
U.S. doctors must become more attuned to Islamic beliefs and values that could affect the physician-patient relationship with Muslim Americans, researchers found in a recently released study. This will become even more important as the U.S. Muslim population of nearly 7 million continues to grow, they found.
In focus groups of Muslim Americans, "women would say, 'I delay care because I can't find a provider that's of the same gender. They want me to put this gown on, but I'm uncomfortable,' " says the study's lead author Aasim Padela, a Muslim emergency medicine doctor at the University of Michigan who is a visiting fellow at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies in London.

Assessing how a preference for doctors of the same sex and anxiety about a revealing hospital gown might contribute to health care disparities between Muslims and other religious groups is tricky, Padela says, because patient databases identify individuals by ethnic group and race but not by religion.

Pockets of Pakistani Americans, whose native country is 97% Muslim, provide some clues, Padela says. For example, he says, an analysis of New York City residents found that Pakistanis were less likely to have had a screening colonoscopy — shown to reduce the risk of colon cancer — than Caucasians.

In the Journal of Medical Ethics, Padela and co-author Pablo Rodriguez del Pozo, a medical ethicist at Cornell University's Weil Medical College in Doha, Qatar, describe a scenario in which a woman wearing a hijab, a Muslim religious head covering, comes to the emergency department complaining of leg pain after a fall. She asks to see a female doctor.

According to Islamic bioethics, a Muslim patient's first choice of a doctor would be one who is also Muslim and of the same sex. Second choice would be a non-Muslim of the same sex, followed by a Muslim of the opposite sex and a non-Muslim of the opposite sex, Padela and his co-author write.

Simply acknowledging that a patient might be uncomfortable and asking how to put them at ease can relieve anxiety, Padela says. In his paper's scenario, the patient and doctor reach a compromise: A female nurse practitioner will examine the patient while the doctor observes.

"Physicians all across the country in all spheres of practice understand that making patients comfortable in a cultural context will really help," says Upland, Calif., neurologist Faisal Qazi, vice president of American Muslim Health Professionals. "It's a trust issue."

While even some women in hijabs might be OK with a male doctor, many non-Muslim women might not be, says Hasan Shanawani of the Islamic Medical Association of North America's ethics committee. Says Shanawani, a critical care doctor at Detroit's Wayne State University School of Medicine: "The onus is on you the doctor to make sure that your patients' modesty and personal dignity are being protected."

A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv: