Educational

Author Topic: Recipes and Cooking  (Read 3427 times)

richard

Re: Recipes and Cooking
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »
thank you for the topic. i love reading it

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 03:01:40 PM »
I've been experimenting with various growth mediums for microworms and fruit flies, and I made this tonight:

Fruit fly growth medium

400ml water
400ml vinegar
400ml chopped tomatoes
25g whey
25g brewer's yeast
75g molasses
150g oats
1g vitamin C
1 crushed multi-vitamin/mineral tablet.

Mix thoroughly, simmer for a minute or two, mix thoroughly again and then spoon into sterile containers.  Add a ball of cotton wool to each container and allow to cool.  Once cool, add baker's yeast and fruit flies.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

DukeNukem

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »
I've been experimenting with various growth mediums for microworms and fruit flies, and I made this tonight:

Fruit fly growth medium

400ml water
400ml vinegar
400ml chopped tomatoes
25g whey
25g brewer's yeast
75g molasses
150g oats
1g vitamin C

Mix thoroughly, simmer for a minute or two, mix thoroughly again and then spoon into sterile containers.  Add a ball of cotton wool to each container and allow to cool.  Once cool, add baker's yeast and fruit flies.

Thanks for letting us know your... um... special recipe. I'm gonna puke now! ::)

Celticgoddess

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »

Fruit fly growth medium

400ml water
400ml vinegar
400ml chopped tomatoes
25g whey
25g brewer's yeast
75g molasses
150g oats
1g vitamin C

Here's my recipe for what to do when you have too many fruit flies.

In a bowl put in apple cider and a bit of liquid dish detergent (what you use to wash dishes) and stir gently to mix it together. Cover the bowl tightly with saran wrap and poke a few holes in it. The flies will be attracted to the smell of the cider and they can get into the bowl through the holes, but they're too dumb to get out again. Fruit flies are light enough to stand on liquid and then fly away again, but the soap makes it more dense and they drown.

Just in case you have too much success with your experiment. :laugh:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2010, 06:15:01 PM »

Fruit fly growth medium

400ml water
400ml vinegar
400ml chopped tomatoes
25g whey
25g brewer's yeast
75g molasses
150g oats
1g vitamin C

Here's my recipe for what to do when you have too many fruit flies.

In a bowl put in apple cider and a bit of liquid dish detergent (what you use to wash dishes) and stir gently to mix it together. Cover the bowl tightly with saran wrap and poke a few holes in it. The flies will be attracted to the smell of the cider and they can get into the bowl through the holes, but they're too dumb to get out again. Fruit flies are light enough to stand on liquid and then fly away again, but the soap makes it more dense and they drown.

Just in case you have too much success with your experiment. :laugh:

Aaahh, and I thought you waved them all out of your house.

I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2010, 06:50:10 PM »
toast some bread, put some peanut butter on it and some cooked bacon.  Can add apricot jelly or a bit of cranberry sauce.  Yum
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 07:04:47 PM »
I know some of you will be eating alone this holiday season, so my suggestions for a simple holiday meal for one:

A small amount of appetizer stuff (raw mushrooms, baby corn, roma tomatoes, broccoli florets, etc. with some salad dressing to dip the stuff in) from the deli bar at the grocery store if they have that kind of stuff or
Heated tomato soup or french onion soup

A nice slice of cooked turkey (not the processed kind) from the deli or a slice of ham.  Should be about 1/2 inch thick (about the width of one finger).  This might give you 2 meals
Bottled turkey or chicken gravy

Sweet potato cooked in the microwave (marshmallows too?) or
Stovetop stuffing

Green beans (canned) with some bacon bits (deli bar) and/or mushrooms and butter, or peas and carrots or other canned vegetables

A slice of cake or cupcake from the grocery's bakery, a single serve cake or pie (Edwards) from the freezer or some special cookies you usually don't buy yourself.

A pint of eggnog or special flavored coffee creamer.

Nothing needs cooking except the sweet potato.  The rest can be heated up in a microwave on your plate.  And there will probably be some leftovers for another meal. 

Don't shortchange yourself and feel unworthy at this time of year.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
Tune Noodle Casserole

1 (16 oz) package pasta noodles
2 (6 oz) cans tuna, drained
2 (10.5 oz) cans condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (or you can use Cream of Chicken Soup)
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed Cream of Celery soup
1 1/4 cup milk
shredded cheese

1. Boil pasta until it's al dente (almost cooked, but not quite. I use the tiny pasta shells and boil them for 5 mins). Drain well and return pasta noodles to the pot it was cooked in

2. Preheat oven to 350*F

3. Mix tuna with soup and milk in a medium saucepan. Place pan over medium heat and heat through. (Or you can place in a microwave safe dish and warm it up in the microwave).

4. Mix tuna mixture with pasta noodles. Stir well. Put have of the pasta mixture in a casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of noodles, then use the rest of the pasta noodles over top.

5. Place in the oven and cook 20-30mins until the casserole is hot. Let stand 10 mins before serving.

richard

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 05:02:35 PM »
toast some bread, put some peanut butter on it and some cooked bacon.  Can add apricot jelly or a bit of cranberry sauce.  Yum
that sounds very good. my mouth has been in a serious taste drought and i love reading your cooking topics

DukeNukem

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 08:12:44 PM »
Did somebody say TOAST?!? :zoinks:

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 08:22:03 PM »
Tune Noodle Casserole

1 (16 oz) package pasta noodles
2 (6 oz) cans tuna, drained
2 (10.5 oz) cans condensed Cream of Mushroom soup (or you can use Cream of Chicken Soup)
1 (10.5 oz) can condensed Cream of Celery soup
1 1/4 cup milk
shredded cheese

1. Boil pasta until it's al dente (almost cooked, but not quite. I use the tiny pasta shells and boil them for 5 mins). Drain well and return pasta noodles to the pot it was cooked in

2. Preheat oven to 350*F

3. Mix tuna with soup and milk in a medium saucepan. Place pan over medium heat and heat through. (Or you can place in a microwave safe dish and warm it up in the microwave).

4. Mix tuna mixture with pasta noodles. Stir well. Put have of the pasta mixture in a casserole dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of noodles, then use the rest of the pasta noodles over top.

5. Place in the oven and cook 20-30mins until the casserole is hot. Let stand 10 mins before serving.

That sounds delicious... :drool:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
Here's a few "exotic" coffee mix recipes.  If you prefer, just make the mixes without the instant coffee and add to your brewed coffee.

Instant Cappuccino

1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup instant coffee (granules)
1 cup instant hot chocolate (powder)
1 cup non-dairy creamer (powder)

Directions:

■Mix all ingredients well. Store in an airtight container.
■Use 2 to 3 TBS per mug of boiling hot water, stir to dissolve.

Homemade Spiced Mocha Mix

1 cup cocoa
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup non-dairy powdered creamer
1/4 cup instant coffee
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions:

■Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Use approximately 1/4 cup mix per 1 cup hot water.

Cafe Viennoise
Part 1:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Part 2:

3/4 cup instant coffee
1/2 cup non-dairy powdered creamer (Coffee-Mate)
1/2 cup skim milk powder
1 tsp cinnamon

Directions

■Step 1: Mix the sugar with both the almond and vanilla extracts (Ingredients Part 1). Stir with a fork until there is no more moisture.
■Step 2: Stir in the rest of the ingredients (Ingredients Part 2). Sift everything together to blend thoroughly.
■Step 3: Store in an airtight container and use 2 to 3 tsp per 1 cup of boiling water.

Mocha

1 cup sugar
1 cup instant coffee
1 cup instant milk powder
1/2 cup cocoa (powder)
4 TBS Coffee-Mate (powder)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

■In a bowl sprinkle vanilla over the sugar. Stir until well blended and there are no moisture lumps.
■Add the rest of the ingredients, stir then sift the whole batch so it’s well mixed.
■Store in an airtight container.
■Add 3 tsp per cup of boiling water (or to taste). Top with a bit of whipped cream if you like.
If you don’t have Coffee-Mate where you live, it’s a powdered creamer for coffee.

Amaretto Mocha Recipe Mix

1 cup skim milk powder
2/3 cup Coffee-Mate
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sifted cocoa
1/3 cup Instant coffee
2 tsp Almond extract

Directions:

■Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or jar with lid.
■Use 1/3 cup per 1 cup hot boiling water, stir until dissolved.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »
Another contribution from ThriftyFun.  Just follow the basic idea and work with what you have.  The cook claimed it cost $1.

Ingredients:

1/4 lb. spaghetti, broken into smallish pieces ($.70/lb) = 17 cents
1 egg ( I always buy these on sale- $1.00/doz.)= 8 cents
1 medium onion, sliced VERY thin ($.59/lb.) = 15 cents
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese ($3.99/lb) = 10 cents
1/4 cup milk (again I always buy on sale. $2.50/gallon) = 16 cents
Total for spaghetti = 66 cents!
5-6 baby carrots, cut into matchsticks ($.89/1 lb bag) = 10 cents
1/2 large or 1 small zucchini, cut into matchsticks ($.99/ lb.) = 24 cents
Total for veggies = 34 cents!
Total for dinner for two= ONE DOLLAR!

Directions:

Saute very thinly sliced onions until just BEFORE they brown, just a few crispy edges is good. I use olive oil, which I can get wholesale, but any good vegetable oil or even butter will do.

In a separate pan, lightly saute the veggies, or you can steam them or microwave them to a crisp/tender stage.

Prepare broken up spaghetti as box directs.

When pasta is done, drain and immediately break 1 egg into it, stirring quickly to coat the spaghetti. The heat of the pasta and the pan cooks the egg. Do not do this over heat!

Add the cheese and stir again, making sure that all is well mixed.

Add milk and give a quick stir (milk will absorb and make a nice coating).

Put pasta on plate and lightly heap sauteed onions on top. Put vegetables on plate next to pasta.

A few grinds of black pepper and maybe a little more cheese sprinkled on and you are ready to enjoy.

DukeNukem

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 02:37:59 AM »
Did somebody say... SPAGHETTI?!? :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 06:23:34 AM »
I know some of you will be eating alone this holiday season, so my suggestions for a simple holiday meal for one:

A small amount of appetizer stuff (raw mushrooms, baby corn, roma tomatoes, broccoli florets, etc. with some salad dressing to dip the stuff in) from the deli bar at the grocery store if they have that kind of stuff or
Heated tomato soup or french onion soup

A nice slice of cooked turkey (not the processed kind) from the deli or a slice of ham.  Should be about 1/2 inch thick (about the width of one finger).  This might give you 2 meals
Bottled turkey or chicken gravy

Sweet potato cooked in the microwave (marshmallows too?) or
Stovetop stuffing

Green beans (canned) with some bacon bits (deli bar) and/or mushrooms and butter, or peas and carrots or other canned vegetables

A slice of cake or cupcake from the grocery's bakery, a single serve cake or pie (Edwards) from the freezer or some special cookies you usually don't buy yourself.

A pint of eggnog or special flavored coffee creamer.

Nothing needs cooking except the sweet potato.  The rest can be heated up in a microwave on your plate.  And there will probably be some leftovers for another meal. 

Don't shortchange yourself and feel unworthy at this time of year.

This post makes me smile. The meal sounds delicious.  :)
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"