Educational

Author Topic: absinthe...  (Read 3811 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: absinthe...
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2006, 03:37:28 PM »
I wonder if odeon has tried it? Apparently it's sold in all liquor stores in Sweden.

I have, but it's not sold everywhere. Why?

What was your experience with it?

I was offered it somewhere, tasted it, didn't like it. Way too strong. But I'm not really sure it's the real deal they sell at the liquor stores, and that's what I was offered.

It certainly didn't make me blind. 8)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2006, 03:53:11 PM »
I read somewhere that you're supposed to add a sugar cube and water to it and make it one part absinthe and 4 parts water.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2006, 03:55:16 PM »
Didn't know that. But I'm more of a beer man. :beergrin:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »
I can tell. :laugh:

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2006, 04:32:18 PM »
What is this stuff?
Guardian of the Empire

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2006, 04:44:01 PM »
Strong, that's what it is. Not particularly good, though.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
And I would like to remind you that alcohol itself is a poison, and so are most chemicals people consume to get high or drunk.

thank you for reminding me.  i now feel thoroughly patronised.

I'm sorry, i just have a strong negative reaction to anybody telling me that such and such is dangerous and will hurt you and you should stay away from it.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »
Yeah, now I really wanna try it.  ;D

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2006, 05:20:00 PM »
And I would like to remind you that alcohol itself is a poison, and so are most chemicals people consume to get high or drunk.

I'm sorry, i just have a strong negative reaction to anybody telling me that such and such is dangerous and will hurt you and you should stay away from it.

So if I tell you that eating arsenic or thallium is dangerous and can kill you and to stay away from it, do you feel compelled to try them?  What about methanol?  It can make you go blind and kill you as it breaks down in your liver.  If I tell you this, do you feel compelled to drink some windshield washer fluid, which is 50% methanol?  If so, you could be very easily manipulated into doing something that is not in your own best interests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Methanol is intoxicating but not directly poisonous. It is toxic by its breakdown (toxication) by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver by forming formic acid and formaldehyde which cause blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. [2] Methanol ingestion can also be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning. It enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin. Fetal tissue will not tolerate methanol. Dangerous doses will build up if a person is regularly exposed to vapors or handles liquid without skin protection. If methanol has been ingested, a doctor should be contacted immediately. The usual fatal dose: 100–125 mL (4 fl oz).

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2006, 06:42:38 PM »
So what is this stuff Methanol?
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
So what is this stuff Methanol?

Here is a link to a wikipedia article about methanol, Kevv:

If you follow the link, you can see a picture of the chemical structure of methanol, CH3OH.  A common name for methanol is wood alcohol, as opposed to ethanol, which is sometimes called grain alcohol.  Windshield washer fluid has about 50% methanol, but it has warnings on it telling people not to drink it because it can cause blindness or death.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2006, 08:10:24 AM »
I think there would be a larger incidence of people reporting blindness if it often caused that in people.  And I would like to remind you that alcohol itself is a poison, and so are most chemicals people consume to get high or drunk.
or preservatives that they add to packaged food products.
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2006, 12:50:51 PM »

So if I tell you that eating arsenic or thallium is dangerous and can kill you and to stay away from it, do you feel compelled to try them?  What about methanol?  It can make you go blind and kill you as it breaks down in your liver.  If I tell you this, do you feel compelled to drink some windshield washer fluid, which is 50% methanol?  If so, you could be very easily manipulated into doing something that is not in your own best interests.

Methanol is intoxicating but not directly poisonous. It is toxic by its breakdown (toxication) by the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase in the liver by forming formic acid and formaldehyde which cause blindness by destruction of the optic nerve. [2] Methanol ingestion can also be fatal due to its CNS depressant properties in the same manner as ethanol poisoning. It enters the body by ingestion, inhalation, or absorption through the skin. Fetal tissue will not tolerate methanol. Dangerous doses will build up if a person is regularly exposed to vapors or handles liquid without skin protection. If methanol has been ingested, a doctor should be contacted immediately. The usual fatal dose: 100–125 mL (4 fl oz).

No, but i am compelled to learn more about them.  Compelled to find out the pros, and cons, and learn about the reports of all the kinds of reactions to it.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »

No, but i am compelled to learn more about them.  Compelled to find out the pros, and cons, and learn about the reports of all the kinds of reactions to it.

That's good then.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2006, 01:01:02 PM »
Nothing will compel me to learn about something like obviously biased information.  That includes telling me a drug is lethal, or a person is evil.