Author Topic: absinthe...  (Read 3812 times)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: absinthe...
« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2007, 09:10:10 PM »
so, i tried a drink with absinthe in it last week...but it also had vodka, red bull, kiwi fruit, and lime in it...it was definitely the most hardcore drink on the menu...when i ordered it, the bar tender was like, "the green fairy...are you sure?"  :laugh: It was pretty good though, and it helped me get drunk fast.  ;D

Did you snog somebody?

no but i did dance a lot which i never do in public because i'm a horrible dancer...some guy danced with me and I was so drunk I didn't really know what was going on and he kissed the side of my face  :-\

Offline paradox

• Constant Poster
  • babbling randomly in a reality near you
« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2007, 11:23:04 PM »
I can get absinthe where I am but it is “legal” absinthe. Still has the high alcohol content, but it has not got the wormwood in it, which the traditional one did and that’s part of it that kicks ass. Wormwood is a psychedelic that drove the old days absent drinkers mad. The sugar cube on spoon lighting it in fire was traditional from those days, u want very small amounts of that stuff. Man what I would do to get my hands on wormwood. last time i had absinthe someone at the party told me off for drinking it strait so I mixed it with black vodica that was a fun night (i think)

Are you talking about this?

Tell me what is not legal about it.

that looks like the stuf,
without wormwood absinthe is just a strong drink (alcohol is legal where i live)
with the wormwood it is a drug, like magic mushrooms. That makes u see things that are not there. where i am and lots of countries it is not legal for that reason (governments don't want us to get our hands on the fun drugs)
I have never understood why it should be necessity to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or indeed why it should be necessity to prove it at all - Avon

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2007, 11:25:29 PM »
Is the wormwood itself illegal? A friend of mine used to
dose me with it, and was able to just buy it at a co-op.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2007, 05:05:03 AM »

Artemesia absinthum is one of my favorite woody herb plants. I use it as a flavor enrichment to the floorsweepings we buy as tea, around here, along with Monarda didyma, which some people call bergamot and Lavandula dentata, also called French lavender. I also used to keep some with me in an American Native style "medicine bag" to help with olfactory overload, along with various other aromatic, oily herbs.

So - If I want to catch a toot-train tonight, how much of this plant will I have to process and consume. I only have about twenty or so plants and they are just emerging from winter dormancy. I have come to understand that the benefits and dangers of "wormwood" are more spiritual than physical.

Got any science to share about the hallucinatory effects?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2007, 05:09:23 AM »

Hope not or I could be busted. What does it do besides add entropy to the outcome of any interactions with spirits and allow us to go unseen?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #140 on: April 19, 2007, 07:09:05 AM »
so, i tried a drink with absinthe in it last week...but it also had vodka, red bull, kiwi fruit, and lime in it...it was definitely the most hardcore drink on the menu...when i ordered it, the bar tender was like, "the green fairy...are you sure?"  :laugh: It was pretty good though, and it helped me get drunk fast.  ;D

Did you snog somebody?

no but i did dance a lot which i never do in public because i'm a horrible dancer...some guy danced with me and I was so drunk I didn't really know what was going on and he kissed the side of my face  :-\
a step closer to the promised land.
Misunderstood.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #141 on: April 19, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »

Hope not or I could be busted. What does it do besides add entropy to the outcome of any interactions with spirits and allow us to go unseen?

I don't know, it was in a cocktail with belladonna and something she wouldn't tell me. The first time, I ended up getting pretty intimate with some wood paneling though.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »
Atropa belladonna? A little dangerous to ingest! They also call it nightshade, but we use many nightshades in cooking, like tomatoes, peppers (neither is considered toxic, any longer) potatoes, even eggplant.

All the typical alkaloid poisoning symptoms are possible, along with some of the euphoria. I would be more inclined to think your experiences were mostly induced from the A. belladonna, than the A. absinthum.

Here's a bit about belladonna.

I hope you stopped.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 04:45:10 PM by Calamity Jane »

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2007, 04:55:53 PM »
Yeah. My only poisons now are alcohol, nicotine, and digitalis (when it flowers).

Mainly a matter of my own laziness. She really knew what she was doing in terms
of getting safe mixtures though.