Author Topic: NEW  (Read 3986 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: NEW
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2010, 12:54:13 AM »
Can remember knowing someone getting a modem for their computer in the late 80's. It was a separate peice of equipment.

You're right. I hadn't realized that it had been around so long. I still vaguely remember when I was a kid, all the hype about the new technology that was the internet :laugh:. God, it almost makes me feel old. I can't believe that the internet's been around since the 1960's.

As technology was shit back then compared to today, snail mail and telephones would have been much quicker.

yea but the ringer didnt come in DOS version! and we ALL know how awesome DOS is!

Some of us DO remember how fantastic it was BEFORE the computer age, when playing sport for REAL kept you phiscally fit.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2010, 10:41:34 AM »
You do realise that there are people here who were on teh interwebs literally before you were born? I'm among them.

Anyway, peace, love, and a heartfelt welcome. We'll discuss raising you later. :P
Is that even possible?
Not much longer, but yes possible.

I always thought the web was created in 1994, although I know that the internet was around lin a different form long before that.

Nope, the www was created in 1988, was available to the public in 1990 or so. Its predecessor, the Usenet, was available to universities and the military in the 70s.

Me, I first used the Usenet in the 80s.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »
You do realise that there are people here who were on teh interwebs literally before you were born? I'm among them.

Anyway, peace, love, and a heartfelt welcome. We'll discuss raising you later. :P
Is that even possible?
Not much longer, but yes possible.

I always thought the web was created in 1994, although I know that the internet was around lin a different form long before that.

Nope, the www was created in 1988, was available to the public in 1990 or so. Its predecessor, the Usenet, was available to universities and the military in the 70s.

Me, I first used the Usenet in the 80s.

I had no idea it was so old. It's even older than me :)

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2010, 05:21:45 PM »
And that was in the days of green screens and computers the size of your dunny.

And they had fuck all processing power and only used 5 1/4" floppies or tape.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
The floppies were very unusual when I first started out with computers in the 70s. Tape storage was what we had.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »
The floppies were very unusual when I first started out with computers in the 70s. Tape storage was what we had.

My dad has you beat though odeon, he got a Masters Degree in computer science from Texas A&M in 1963.

They didn't even have tape then, they used stacks of punch cards.  :o

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2010, 10:55:03 AM »

My dad has you beat though odeon, he got a Masters Degree in computer science from Texas A&M in 1963.

They didn't even have tape then, they used stacks of punch cards.  :o

Very cool. 8)

- Albert Einstein

richard

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2010, 02:28:47 PM »
hey my name is Charles
i am new to these forums

a bit about myself:
     Im perfect in every way possible with a few acceptions
     such as i have horrible spelling and a huge ego

hello, i also have those problems  :)