Author Topic: The oldest food item currently in your Fridge  (Read 2465 times)

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: The oldest food item currently in your Fridge
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2017, 07:26:32 AM »
there is food you can buy with long life. we used to buy mountain house when they had 10 year expiration. now they go up to 25 years (freeze dried). the eggs are pretty good; i used to use those at cons with my ex. soups are good too. i wasn't too fond of the rice. oats are very good. rice and beans you can buy at the store and keep dry. i should look to see if i still have my black beans from the late 90s. i think rice can go 25 years as long as it is critter free when you pack it and you keep it dry.

this makes me wonder if the gopher's got a stash of rice and corn. the mice used to steal that from my mother's summer house.
if i find the beans i am going to cook them to see what happens.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2017, 11:15:04 AM »
I threw out some coffee syrup that was in the back,  not sure how long it was there up it had partially crystallized :zombiefuck: 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
:GA:

What's the oldest thing in your burrow?

The oldest thing in my fridge is probably one of the condiments on the door, but I'm sure it's well within the expiration date. Before I grocery shop the fridge gets a good once over and I throw away the old before the new comes in, and maybe wipe here and there if it needs it. I don't closely inspect the condiments every time, but they get a good look about twice a year when the fridge gets a serious cleaning.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
this makes me wonder if the gopher's got a stash of rice and corn.

:eyelash:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2019, 06:24:51 PM »
Kayleigh has a massive jar of olives in the fridge. She's had them for about 6 months so I know they are probably still good. I won't touch them though, I don't like olives at all.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
Ren, have you tried marinated olives? Marinated in good olive oil with garlic and herbs and a little chilli? We used to buy a few jars at a winery in the Hunter Valley and my wife loved them so much that after we had eaten the olives she would eat plain rice with the leftover marinade as a small meal. I'm not a big fan of olives in brine, but good marinated olives are awesome.

I've probably got sauces in the fridge that are at least a year past the use by date. 
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2019, 07:24:51 PM »
Definitely a bottle of Sriracha.

I only use it on scrambled eggs and in some sauces now and then.

I check dates on everything pretty regularly but I never saw a date on it until I checked it very closely just now and found a stamped clear best by date that you can barely see  :zombiefuck:.

It tasted fine last week, and the color is the same...but it's almost old enough to start school if it decides to become self aware....probably time to pick up a new bottle.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2019, 05:10:13 AM »
I've accidentally eaten olives before and was like, what tastes so bad? They were on a gourmet sandwich I had at a restaurant. Blech. They're up there with cucumber and zucchini on the I will try to never eat that again list.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2019, 10:48:34 AM »
I've accidentally eaten olives before and was like, what tastes so bad? They were on a gourmet sandwich I had at a restaurant. Blech. They're up there with cucumber and zucchini on the I will try to never eat that again list.

Cucumber sandwiches are a delicacy.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2019, 01:42:00 PM »
I've got some Wasabi that's easily over a decade old.

There might be older things. And yes, that means they've been through 4-5 house moves.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2020, 07:22:56 AM »
There's a small container of sweet chili sauce in the door of our fridge. I won't ever touch the stuff so I'm going to have to remind Kayleigh that it's there. There's also a packet of grated cheese that looks iffy. Kayleigh has a habit of leaving the cheese out on the bench so it ends up going off quicker.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2020, 07:56:52 PM »
There's some individual serving size bottled tea that's probably pushing a year old; was just thinking of tossing it the other day. Can't find a date on them. Used to drink it but haven't wanted it in a long time. The only other person who drank it was a family friend who has passed away.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2020, 04:12:21 PM »
there is food you can buy with long life. we used to buy mountain house when they had 10 year expiration. now they go up to 25 years (freeze dried). the eggs are pretty good; i used to use those at cons with my ex. soups are good too. i wasn't too fond of the rice. oats are very good. rice and beans you can buy at the store and keep dry. i should look to see if i still have my black beans from the late 90s. i think rice can go 25 years as long as it is critter free when you pack it and you keep it dry.

this makes me wonder if the gopher's got a stash of rice and corn. the mice used to steal that from my mother's summer house.
if i find the beans i am going to cook them to see what happens.

Aw, he didn't mention the handmade coconut date rolls from earlier than 2015 (gotten from a natural foods store before we moved to Canada) that he swore were trail food that would last just about forever. I tried one in 2017 or so and it was perfectly edible. I still have some in a ziploc at the back of my fridge and there's no visible mold.

I'm not sure I'm that brave now.  :autism:
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2020, 09:50:29 PM »
^So they're more than 5 years old. Hmmm!

Speaking of fridges, ours is a Samsung with plastic shelves. Over the years they have been fixed up with heavy duty tape when they have split due to heavy items. Now the food bin in the bottom needs fixing.
Tek'ma'tae