Educational

Author Topic: Signal to noise ratio  (Read 483 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Signal to noise ratio
« on: June 18, 2010, 02:10:36 AM »
The Internet is, hands down, the greatest communication medium humankind has come up with to this point (2010). The problem, as with previous communication methods (cave paintings-->MP4s) is that all too often signal is cancelled out and/or overwhelmed by noise. This is what Korzybski warned us about in his treatise on General Semantics entitled SCIENCE AND SANITY: if we use our word-symbols with correct meaning, we perceive the universe objectively. If we use them incorrectly--as, say, schizophrenics do--we use them incorrectly. As the comp engineers are famous for saying, GIGO. (Len Deighton wrote a brilliant novel based on the GIGO meme entitled The BILLION DOLLAR BRAIN, where the computer in question was owned by a paranoid billionaire. Since the data fed to the computer had to be approved by said billionaire, the world-view it generated--based on faulty data--neatly conformed to his worst fears.)

I am, from this moment, declaring myself foursquare against the noise the Internet produces (e.g., anything Sarah Palin says).  In response, I will produce as much intelligent signal as my cognitive processes will allow. I wish I was a genius of Hawking's caliber, but I'll just have to do what I can with what I have.
Here's my opening salvo:

Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Frolic_Fun

Re: Signal to noise ratio
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 02:32:24 AM »
TL;DR

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:55:42 AM »
back atcha Shleed. nice to see you're remaining true to form.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
Gonna need a filter for the noise.   I don't approve of a filtered internet.   I want the ability to selectively choose what to hear and see, and not be forced to watch only what my government deems fitting.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:01:25 AM »
Gonna need a filter for the noise.   I don't approve of a filtered internet.   I want the ability to selectively choose what to hear and see, and not be forced to watch only what my government deems fitting.

But we really do know what's best for you!  :police: :prude: :coolguy:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:24 AM »

We don't need a filter for the content, we need to find a way to filter out the morons. There should be an IQ test and required licenses to use the internet.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »

We don't need a filter for the content, we need to find a way to filter out the morons. There should be an IQ test and required licenses to use the internet.
I've seen kids with a measured low IQ and a great ability to think, and people with an extraordinary high measured IQ acting as if they had no idea how to use their brains at all.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 10:15:58 AM »

Maybe a functional test then. If they can interact anonymously with other humans online without acting like a dumbass, they pass.

Celticgoddess

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:18:30 AM »
Could you imagine how political that would get? "Now let's define dumbass. Hmm..I think there should be a dumbass scale. Yes. Definitely a dumbass scale. So 1-10 you say?" And it would take years for them to discuss and define the dumbass scale and then forever to pass it because it would be protested. :laugh:

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:19:58 AM »

It would be protested by dumbasses. That's how we would know who the dumbasses are.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »

It would be protested by dumbasses. That's how we would know who the dumbasses are.

Your blackboard (green) equation makes every normal person a dumbass, as soon as anonymity and audience are provided.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Celticgoddess

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »

But I would protest it because I don't want to filter out the dumbasses. Does that mean I'm a dumbass? (emo)

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »

But I would protest it because I don't want to filter out the dumbasses. Does that mean I'm a dumbass? (emo)

No, that makes you a bleeding heart hippie.   :zoinks:

Your blackboard (green) equation makes every normal person a dumbass, as soon as anonymity and audience are provided.

You're right, there does seem to be a missing variable. What's the scientific symbol for dumbass?

Celticgoddess

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 10:43:19 AM »

No, that makes you a bleeding heart hippie.   :zoinks:

Who, me? Never.  :moon: