Educational

Author Topic: Random Observations  (Read 12213 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Random Observations
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2010, 09:05:16 AM »

It was always a hobby and I do not do this for a living anymore, but the interest has never wained, even in all these years (I began photographing when I was a child - I have never lost the urge).

Photography is something that I will probably always pursue.

Except for the purely commercial usages, I have yet to embrace the digital photographic processes. Sure, I have a digital camera to document our kids lives, but I do not use it to express my need to make art.

I still use my film cameras, including a Sinar P2 kit in four by five format.

This is an image of an eight by ten version of the same model from a retailer in New York. Mine looks identical to this, but it uses four by five film, instead of eight by ten  (those numbers are in inches, measuring along each edge of the film, btw).

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »

It was always a hobby and I do not do this for a living anymore, but the interest has never wained, even in all these years (I began photographing when I was a child - I have never lost the urge).

Except for the purely commercial usages, I have yet to embrace the digital photographic processes. Sure, I have a digital camera to document our kids lives, but I do not use it to express my need to make art.

This is an image of an eight by ten version of the same model from a retailer in New York. Mine looks identical to this, but it uses four by five film, instead of eight by ten  (those numbers are in inches, measuring along each edge of the film, btw).

Film and people who process the non consumer grade stuff is getting harder to find. This was my brother's business and life up until not that long ago.  He specialized in custom B&W processing,  all by hand on equipment that some of which dated to WW2
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lemon Aguilera

• lemonese pudding
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
my Cat has taken a liking to running around with poopy paws.
"the dreams we dream together become reality" - John Lemon

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 11:40:54 AM »

Film and people who process the non consumer grade stuff is getting harder to find. This was my brother's business and life up until not that long ago.  He specialized in custom B&W processing,  all by hand on equipment that some of which dated to WW2

I am not concerned about what other people are doing in this business - never have been. Except for a few months at a time after moving or something, I have had a darkroom since I was twelve.

I have modern equipment, however.  You can not process C41 with older equipment.  For one thing, the older gear was designed for black and white film and keeping the processing temperature near sixty eight degrees, plus or minus a degree or two, was simple and only required a pipe running under the building to temper the water.

With C41, the processing temperature must be maintained within one quarter of a degree to achieve consistent results, also, it must be at one hundred and four tenths degrees, so a heater is necessary.  It is much less fuss to simply use a machine designed to maintain the temperature properly. Aside from the temperature, though, the actual developer is also critical to maintain consistency.  A perfect consistency is hardly necessary when you are processing for the general public, since no one cane see even forty points of color difference, but when you are expecting accuracy, you MUST follow the process as closely as possible.  Even batch numbers can make a visible difference, in both developers and film.

I generally use my gear to process E6, however. It is a process that was designed to be used for processing slides or positive imagery, instead of negative imagery like "plain old film."

Except for a bit of black and white, I have only used slide film for about ten years now. I had switched to digital for my commercial work before I was "retired,"  a few years back. Back then digital imagery really sucked, but we had to enter the digital world in order to compete.

The largest image size I could create was five megapixels and the gear - a complete camera system, flash, radio remote, multiple backs, fancy camera, several lenses, etc  -  cost more than a new Cadillac.
 :zombiefuck:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »

BTW, this whole thing with red sensitivity worries me with anticipatory dread, since red is one of my favorite colors. I loathe the day when the color red becomes a shadow to me.

At that point in my life (going back to another thread here), I will be near the bottom of my bag of reasons to NOT commit suicide.

RED FUCKING ROXXORS!!!

Doesn't have to be like that when you are old. It doesn't happen to everybody.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »

BTW, this whole thing with red sensitivity worries me with anticipatory dread, since red is one of my favorite colors. I loathe the day when the color red becomes a shadow to me.

At that point in my life (going back to another thread here), I will be near the bottom of my bag of reasons to NOT commit suicide.

RED FUCKING ROXXORS!!!

Doesn't have to be like that when you are old. It doesn't happen to everybody.

I understand. It is a minority of folk who go red-blind.
So, when it does, how do you make it go away?

We have decent "eye docs"  in this country (I think mine is up to speed, from my own research) and the story always ends sadly.

While it may not be universal (Helll, some people lose their hearts or their livers or kidneys first, even their fucking hair, but what if all that still works fine and you begin to lose your eyesight. Do not tell me that you [No, I mean you, Odeon - we know each other this well, right?] have not considered this tragedy as real), the ones who are affected have some problems that modern day science is not able to address, clinically.

I get that I am in a minority of slightly less than fifty percent.  That does not make it any less of a "scary thing"  I have to deal with.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

... but, I became emo, instead of getting to my point.

I will try again after a bit.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
Nothing terrifies me more than losing my eyesight. My foremost fear has always been macular degeneration because it destroys the central parts of your field of vision, making you unable to read or watch a film but leaves the peripheral vision to remind you of what you have lost. It's as fucked up as these things get. Of course there are other eye problems to fear (most of which I have considered at one time or another) but this one is the worst.

My eyes have always been troublesome anyway. I've had eye surgery five times (to correct the strabismus) and I'm hoping for a sixth so they can fix the scarring that is now causing me problems. The vitreous humour in both my eyes is detaching from the retinas, causing floaters that often block parts of my vision. I need fairly strong glasses and now that I'm older, I also need special reading glasses.

All these things my OCD reworks into obsessions and fears and unwanted thoughts and actions, endlessly repeated throughout the day. The meds help some but cause other problems.

So yeah, I guess I have considered all this, time and again. Actually, I've considered it all for most of my life. My AS support person says that she'd never met anyone with a negative OCD-induced obsession lasting for so long.

There is nothing I fear more.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Osensitive1

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2010, 05:03:35 PM »
Two random self-observations on this page and the first for the thread; just observing randomly.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »
I actually came to this thread because I had some shit to say about people who take for granted things that have happened in the past as continuing into the future.

I had an old "friend"  come by, just a few minutes after I had come from work (I was still overstimmed as a fucktard) and make a big deal out of his presentation of something that I can not use right now.

He presented me with a Schorschbräu (a fucking hundred dollar bottle of beer, but cold filtered to remove the water and such so as to make it the same alcohol content as Scotch, but bubbly like regular beer.  I am not drinking these days!!)

I fucking mined his mind for the reason he made this gesture, but only came out with the fact that I had done a candid pic of his daughter a few years back that somehow captured her essence.

I did not want to "hurt his feelings,"  so I was as gracious as I could muster, and accepted after many refusals, but it turns out that his daughter has taken ill.  (They think it is leukemia. ) 

I tried to tell him to take it back and get something for his daughter (his praise of my work and the effort he has made to express this to me is more than enough to last me for ages), but he insisted that the pleasure I have brought to his entire family was truly from the hand of  "God."

(not quite sure where to go from there)

I just said that, I hope that things go well for him.

I really do not need a one hundred dollar bottle of beer as a gift.  I have only so much humility.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 05:15:00 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2010, 05:44:42 PM »

I know, that was very contradictory, but I am like that, contradictory that is, to the very core of my existence.
 :-\

That post was probably a kind of "threadcrap,"  since it was not all that ramdon. 

At this point in time it is almost impossible to be ramdon.

Sorry.  Rough shit to get past.

Osensitive1

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2010, 05:52:32 PM »
Happen to think there's no such thing as random anyway, so it's all good.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2010, 06:40:22 PM »
Happen to think there's no such thing as random anyway, so it's all good.

Go tell this to Beelzebub and watch him laugh, randomly
 :duh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2010, 07:09:46 PM »
There is a lady bug crawling up my daughters arm
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2010, 04:40:53 AM »
I saw a wood pigeon eating pollen and nectar from nasturtiums in my garden.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?