Author Topic: Community hobby shops??  (Read 2126 times)

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Community hobby shops??
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:35 PM »
My family must really think I enjoy fixing their shit, because they normally bring it to me.   I end up borrowing tools from my dad or grandfather to get the job done though.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Scrapheap

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
A form of this idea exists already in the Khyber Pass region between Afghanistan and Pakistan. They make what are known as Khyber Pass Copy guns. I'd love to make AK's here in California just to stick it to the Sacramento politicians!!! :arrr::arrr::arrr:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2010, 10:04:13 PM »
A form of this idea exists already in the Khyber Pass region between Afghanistan and Pakistan. They make what are known as Khyber Pass Copy guns. I'd love to make AK's here in California just to stick it to the Sacramento politicians!!! :arrr::arrr::arrr:

I read about them in an article some time ago very interesting

My family must really think I enjoy fixing their shit, because they normally bring it to me.   I end up borrowing tools from my dad or grandfather to get the job done though.

I do like fixing things and everyone we know brings stuff over and even at time just gives me the stuff
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2010, 01:53:32 AM »

Killing politicians is  :viking:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »

My dad and brother were like that.  They could fix pretty much anything but they both had their own tools.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2010, 05:33:36 PM »

My dad and brother were like that.  They could fix pretty much anything but they both had their own tools.
My dad has accumulated plenty of tools over the years, but he can hardly fix anything.   He has been dependent on me for such things for the past 15 years or so.   If something breaks or he needs something assembled, he asks me to do it (instead of calling someone else).    Before that, my mother problem called my grandfather to fix stuff, because my father is inept as far as working with his hands goes.   When he does attempt to make a repair he often ends up breaking shit to the point that it makes it more difficult for me or someone else to fix.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2010, 06:38:20 PM »

My dad has accumulated plenty of tools over the years, but he can hardly fix anything.   He has been dependent on me for such things for the past 15 years or so.   If something breaks or he needs something assembled, he asks me to do it (instead of calling someone else).    Before that, my mother problem called my grandfather to fix stuff, because my father is inept as far as working with his hands goes.   When he does attempt to make a repair he often ends up breaking shit to the point that it makes it more difficult for me or someone else to fix.

If your dad is so bad at fixing things, did your grandfather teach you?

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »

Oy, your dad sounds like me. I mean well, but I break stuff. :emb:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2010, 11:11:10 PM »

If your dad is so bad at fixing things, did your grandfather teach you?
Yes, every time my dad fucked something up my grandfather would get called in by my mother to fix it.   I sat there watching my grandfather usually, and so did my dad.   I respect my grandfather more than any human being I know.   He is awesome, and I would be really proud of myself if I ended up being as great a person as him one day.   Now if my grandfather needs help putting something together or moving stuff, he calls me.   I think he can still handle it himself sometimes, it is just that he likes having me there with him.   All of his friends are dead (including his older brother who I am named after), so I should try to spend more time with him.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
One of the few bright spots in my life recently is that I fixed my printer/scanner/copier. I don't use it as a printer anymore, but I have family documents that need to be scanned and didn't have the $ to take it to a shop. So I didn't pay anything and got a lot of satisfaction from fixing it.  :thumbup:
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

richard

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
somebody just planted a community garden in my neighbourhood but i doubt anyone will eat any vegtables out of it. would you?  most community anything is cheap and tastes like shit just buy your vegtables and your furniture already

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
I know of a bunch of Anarchists near by who get together to share commonly sought-after skills; those which are usually the domain of white hetero men.
The skills are taught specifically to those who aren't.
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
somebody just planted a community garden in my neighbourhood but i doubt anyone will eat any vegtables out of it. would you?  most community anything is cheap and tastes like shit just buy your vegtables and your furniture already

I have to say, I much prefer garden tomatoes to the store-bought ones.  :chin:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
I like the idea of fucking with tools and materials that I haven't used before.

I might not go, simply because I am a bit :dunce: in certain areas
 and wouldn't trust myself to learn the skills without breaking things in the process!
Breaking shit can be a valuable part of the learning process.

Killing politicians is  :viking:
:agreed:

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
I would start simple, with NON-power tools! :poke:

Say you're working on a big project, like cabinetry or something, there's nothing simple about only using hand tools.  Say you want to cut a perfectly straight line, you can slice a sheet of plywood in about 15 seconds on a table saw, but using a hand saw will take a few minutes and you have to be able to keep it perfectly on the line.

Try driving a screw into wood, if you use a screw driver, it will take a lot longer, and you risk splitting the wood as well as stripping the head of the screw.  Even self-tapping screws can still split the wood if you're using a regular screw driver.  But if you use a power drill to pre-tap the hole, then swap the drill bit out with a screwdriver bit, you can do 5 minutes worth of work in less than a minute and it will come out better.  Even if you don't pre-drill the hole, you can still set the torque setting on the drill to avoid the risk of overtightening.

Try cutting a piece of sheet metal with a hack saw and tell me that's simpler than using a plasma cutter.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.