Author Topic: What are you eating right now?  (Read 45110 times)

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
Re: What are you eating right now?
« Reply #1170 on: September 08, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »
Home-made (with simple blender) milkshake of strawberries and van. ice cream.

Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1171 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »
Sausage, egg and cheese on a croissant
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1172 on: September 08, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Not eating anything. I'd like to but I have a toothache; my whole bloody JAW hurts.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #1173 on: September 08, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
King prawns in a very spicy black pepper sauce from my local chinese.

*belches contentedly*

Washing it down with a cheap, but otherwise identical own brand blue powerade, and a selection of mini shots, cherry, sour apple, passion fruit and some sort of blue stuff. Love the cherry one. For that matter I like almost anything cherry flavoured, especially cherry ripple vanilla ice cream with candied black cherries embedded in it, or fresh cherries. I like wild cherries too, there are a few trees on the local canal towpath I go hunting for medicinal herbs, and blackberry picking on. Quite sour, much smaller than cultivated varieties, perhaps a centimeter in diameter at the most.

I think I might just munch on a few propolis (bee resin) candies. The local pharmacy I pick my meds up from (that is, if I don't get twatting well shafted by an outright cruel new doc at the clinic who obviously couldn't give a diseased sewer rat's dying squirt of liquid fecal matter if I have seizures and cold fucking turkey oxy withdrawal, sells them, but initially gave samples away, and they were perfectly happy to let me stuff the pockets of my trench and commando pants with vast pockets chock full with them.

I confess, I am a blatant candy addict:P I very seldom go but one day without chowing on a few packs of liquorice (my absolute favourite, along with 'jelly belly' brand  high quality jellybeans, the really tasty bubblegum bonbons the local paki shop sells
)

I actually keep an eye on how much liquorice I eat, to make sure I don't end up with too high a plasma level of corticosteroids, be it liquorice candy, or chewing dried liquorice root pieces. Those buggers are rock hard though, I can't cut them with my penknife, I have to snap the bigger ones over the blade of a bigger, very sharp lock dagger that I jacked from the hellbitch former housemate. Probably left her/it/possibly 'them' absolutely devastated, being the only memory of her now dead grandfather; hehehe.

Bitch stole from me (hid my pain meds, and a load of benzos+chlormethiazole, just so she could wave some of her own very, very weak partial MOR agonist in my face, and offer some of her own benzos (valium, the weakest ones, just 2mg a piece, and 10mg temazepam for the purpose of appearing like a fucking hero, found a massive stash, all mine, stuffed under my bed after I kicked the bitch to the curb, tizanidine, nitrazepam, lorazepam, chlormethiazole, dihydrocodeine and loprazolam...months worth of scripts she had siphoned off and hidden from me.)

I'm was hungry as hades before. That chinese black pepper sauce king prawns really hit the spot, and some chocolate ripple icecream to finish off, and sooth the sore throat that violently spewing my guts up earlier. I think I might go back up there one I finish booting up one of my spare OCs, and had a rollup; and see if they are still open, I want another one :P

And some nice, very cold beer.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1174 on: September 08, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »
Cold beer is always nice.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1175 on: September 08, 2012, 03:05:50 PM »
Not eating anything. I'd like to but I have a toothache; my whole bloody JAW hurts.

I remember that feeling, hope you can get some antibiotics soon.  :(
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1176 on: September 08, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
Finished my second chinese. Ate one portion of king  prawns in black pepper spicy sauce. Nice and fiery, then quick-marched it back there for another, after having a rollup, a cigar, and a shot of oxycontin.

I can't get enough of that prawn dish. The local chinese is really good, they do all my favourites-roast duck and pancakes, banana fritters in banana syrup, tofu in spicy black bean sauce, and the prawns, as well as a few other really good seafood dishes.

And then, still hungry, moved on to 3/4 of a roast chicken, with lashings of tabasco sauce. Had to get my old man to carve up for me though, I can't manage it with one hand nigh on paralyzed.

And still thinking of those shiitake mushrooms in the fridge, might just have a couple of packs of those, fried in butter for supper.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #1177 on: September 09, 2012, 11:20:18 PM »
Finished my second chinese. Ate one portion of king  prawns in black pepper spicy sauce. Nice and fiery, then quick-marched it back there for another, after having a rollup, a cigar, and a shot of oxycontin.

I can't get enough of that prawn dish. The local chinese is really good, they do all my favourites-roast duck and pancakes, banana fritters in banana syrup, tofu in spicy black bean sauce, and the prawns, as well as a few other really good seafood dishes.

And then, still hungry, moved on to 3/4 of a roast chicken, with lashings of tabasco sauce. Had to get my old man to carve up for me though, I can't manage it with one hand nigh on paralyzed.

And still thinking of those shiitake mushrooms in the fridge, might just have a couple of packs of those, fried in butter for supper.

You eat interesting things, I love your posts in this thread!  :green:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1178 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:54 AM »
Interesting things?

Lol I'm actually rather set in my ways as far as eating habits go.

black olive&pepperoni pizza, olive and meatball/cheese subs, roast chicken, cold and covered in chilli sauce, calamari...chinese food, fish, and my homemade morel/shiitake/chickpea/kidney bean&steak chilli are my favorites, although many people either make a fuss about fungi included as spices that are toxic unless prepared right, or find it too hot. Plenty of pepper, tabasco/habanero sauce, along with those tiny, but bloody lethal little birdseye peppers are great for making chilli.

Not a happy bunny, table-wise right now. I just discovered that 2 large tubs full of fresh shiitake had gone mouldy, thanks to my havig no appetite whatsoever, courtesy of that paki doc that screwed me last week over my meds :(

And they are one of my absolute favourite kinds of mushrooms, with some medicinal properties also. I really like their meaty, very savoury type flavor, what the orientals often umami, the fifth basic taste detected by tastebuds on the tongue rather than requiring olfaction also, that detects protein-rich foods on the whole, and the amino acid glutamate (hence use of MSG in a lot of processed shite).

Shiitake are great in chilli, in soups, or as a simple snack, fried in butter and served with some fried bacon. Quick, easy and very, very moreish.

I keep quite a few packs of dried mushrooms about in my kitchen- several packs of dehydrated shiitake, cep (Boletus edulis/the cep, porcini or penny bun), morels, although  I've eaten them all and need to buy or grow more. Usually Morchella elata, the black morel. Lovely smoky flavour those have, although fuckoff pricy to buy. Was lucky enough to have a garden invasion at the old house I used to live in, the spores must have come with the batch of woodchips put down as mulch. I am really kicking myself, so to speak, for not taking extensive spore samples for culture :/

I really should have done, heck, even commercial production...might have to look at trying to obtain spore syringes, that way I could make a one-off investment. All i'd need are some spore samples and more agar. ( confess, I do have some agar, somewhere. But I've never made it from powder, and wherever this is, it was just sold as a plastic bag of powder. Probably not sterile either. Always bought my agar an bottles of pre-made stuff that could be warmed and poured; lol probably not much demand for the likes of sheeps's blood agar, chocolate agar maybe, but not sheep/bovine blood, or spiked with fetal calf serum, or loaded with streptomycin/penicillins (although the latter are potentially lethally toxic to me), chloramphenicol, tetracyclines, etc, as  selection agents to screen out resistant spp. from tesco baking supplies isle :P)

I already have access to an autoclave, as well as UV sterilizing equipment, and if truly needed could obtain a radioisotope gamma source, although neither cheaply, nor without effort to my part for nuking substrates to make sure they are not going to get moldy while trying to culture something specific. And a good quality microscope, with a high-powered oil immersion lens, petri dishes, inoculation loops etc. in the lab.

I'd love to be able to just go off and grab some freshly picked morels from the woodchip beds I could easily simply keep in trays on the outside of the flat roof over the bathroom downstairs. That would be lovely. Dried ones are nice, but they don't beat fresh, in anything but storage and utility. Great spongy type texture for chilli too. They have a lovely smoky flavor, nice and chewy, and they suck up hot sauce, etc. like a man dying of dehydration would suck up powerade.

Good for creating a 'surprise fireball' kind of effect, for that I use the water to rehydrate dried morel to form the basis of the gravy/or additional H2O added throughout the long, slow cook over a low heat I use, once I already precooked the steak to the 'well done' stage, squeeze out much of the water, and replace it with a big slug of a mixture of different sauces, including lots of both regular red and habanero type tabasco (I love these on most food, heck, I can go through 1/3 to a half a bottle of each if I have in front of me, the 1/3 of a roast chicken...and love it even more dripped into the holes in pickled olives. I'll pour it on pepperoni pizza, bring some with me to takeaways and restaurants, lol, I'll even just take a mouthful if the mood takes me, or my nose is congested and needs a quick, but thorough sinus-reaming :P

Bite into the morels, and they squirt out hot sauce like tofu, filling the mouth with tasty blazing for fire :D

They are really complimented by fly agaric powder, the ultimate umami spice IMO-both medicinal, if used right, thats the one that people object to. My dad has said several times when he has helped lend a second pair of hands and eyes, words to the effect of 'you aren't going to fucking put THAT in there, are you? you will ruin it! although he did have a bowlful of the result.

Nobody DIES from Amanita muscaria poisoning, cases of fatality are so, so, SO incredibly rare, there might  be a bare handful of documented cases every century to a century and a half, each and every one of them involving either a bad ident, leading the fly agaric to be consumed
en-mass. They are a good edible when first parboiled, then boiled a second time in a fresh pan of water. That leaches out both the tiny traces of a peripherally selective muscarinic acetylcholine receptor agonist neurotoxin, which is only even present in raw mushroom in fractions of a percentage point, enough to cause sweating, frequent urination, diarrheoea, cramps and tearing. And also the poison ibotenic acid, not wanted in cooking:P but by heat-drying over a long, low oven heat, it loses CO2 in a decarboxylation rxn to form muscimol, a far more desirable compound, having sleep/trance inducing properties, muscle relaxant abilities to a degree, antianxiety effects, or a bona fide deep, deep sleep, with intensely vivid dreams. Unlike benzos and the like, it doesn't to the best of my knowledge disrupt sleep phase architecture.

I also keep peppery boletes (Chalciporus piperatus), a hot, spicy poroid mushroom with taste all of its own, I use it like black pepper, or chillies, somwhere in the middle of black pepper and a moderate-light end of high test-chillies (like habaneros for ex.) and others that supplies come and go of, as they are unavailable cultivated (or can't be), when I'm lucky enough to find a delicacy that dries well and can't be reliably harvested wild every year.                                                                                           

Fresh mushrooms though, my other favourites are, over and above all others, two kings among wild foods, the parasol (Macrolepiota procera) and giant puffballs, the former fried in butter, the latter dipped in batter and turned into fritters, plain shallow-fried or turned into breaded cutlets. sadly an uncommon spp. though, I haven't been lucky enough to find one in years (although growing up to a meter in diameter one cannot mistake them for anything else, save perhaps, from a distance in the fields and meadows they grow in, a sheep!)

I can't resist slippery jack, or larch boletes either, once the layer of slime is removed from the caps. I like sulfur polypore, beefsteak fungus, chanterelles, lawyer's wig/shaggy ink cap (these MUST be taken home rapidly, to be cooked within hours, or they will dissolve before your very eyes, into a black slime containing the spore mass, via an autoliquifaction process known as deliquescence. Do NOT consume alcohol with any member of the genus Coprinus, the inkcaps
as some contain a toxin called coprine. Totally harmless, and the common ink cap is full of coprine, and is a good edible-but it blocks metabolic degradation of acetaldehyde by inhibiting aldehyde dehydrogenase in the liver, just like the (IMO cruel) aversive treatment for intractable pissheads, disulfiram/antabuse.

Highly unlikely to ever kill, but reportedly quite enough to make a person wish themselves dead a hundred times over if EtOH be consumed with, just before, or for days after such a meal. What else.....fresh cep, or its rarer, but equally delicious relative, Boletus aereus, fresh wild oyster mushrooms are delish, as are several Agaricus spp., although toxic ones do exist, most turn yellow within seconds of bruising or cutting into the fruitbody, such as A.xanthodermus, the yellow stainer. Almost all these poisonous spp. also have a distinct smell of phenol (carbolic acid), some say of some old types of ink. Only one spp. I know of, A.aurantioviolaceus, is deadly poisonous, don't know if it changes color, or smells funky, but since it only occurs in africa, I do not worry about that.

Horse mushrooms from that family, are good, smelling powerfully of aniseed, although this weakens in cooking, but still leaving them scented and aniseed tasting, as are several similar Agaricus species.

Surprisingly, I do not much like ordinary, average, shop-bought button mushrooms. They are so insipid compared to all the wild treats to be had, I only ever eat them as basically cheap padding in a chilli that absorbs the heat and flavour of everything else. Grown for yield and ease of growth, NOT for being good to eat.

Had a can of rice pudding too.

Last thing I ate was...more liquorice, this time, those 'flyer' tubes of sherbet. Bought 2 packets of them, new , they are usually sold loose. 10 pence a stick. These packs do not say how may are in there. but 8 for £1.50-do not buy them in packets people, it means less for your money.

Before that, a portion of king prawns in black pepper sauce. My new thing at the local chinese. Although my other favourites there, crispy shredded duck and savory pancakes, as well as tofu in black bean sauce I still get. And two banana fritters from there for breakfast, in banana syrup, eaten cold. Washed down with a cup of petrushka vodka (1/3 of a bottle...my excuse? couldn't find a shot glass, at least one that wasn't being used as a crystallization dish for the final cleansing of a batch of 2,5-dimethoxy-4-methylphenyl-beta-nitrostyrene)  itself chased down with a big gulp of cold coke.

And a cup of cold milk before a bit ago, think I'll have another now.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1179 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »
Homemade minestrone with loads of veggies and beans. So good!
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1180 on: September 10, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
Red Beans and Rice
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1181 on: September 11, 2012, 12:32:46 AM »
About to start noshing on a bowl of fried tofu in black bean sauce.

I really like the sauce, its really fiery. Going to see if the chinese will do a custom meal next time if I remember, they have before, I want to get therm to do the king prawns, but in black bean sauce, or maybe tofu in hot pepper sauce rather than the other way around.

Yum. All done. Wish I had some more though.

Just nuked a piece of battered fried fish, not sure what, I didn't buy it, but my mother now eats next to nothing. If there is spare going, I'm only too willing. Half a free fish is better than paying for some, when i want a before-meal appetizer.

Had to flay the batter off though, it had been in the fridge for a day or two, still in its polystyrene tub, which made water condense over the batter in the fridge. Hate those fucking things, a pestilent anal smear, wiped in the face of mother gaia. Too much plastic packaging nowadays.

I wish more places would start using biopolymer type biodegradable plastic, it troubles me when I go hiking on my mushroom hunts, I try to pick up as much shite on the way back home as my unfilled mushroom bags allow for, although it is fucking sore to keep bending down. I might just get one of those grabbing sticks to pick up all the garbage I can.

It really does set me fuming underneath to go for a walk in the middle of nowhere, and see crisp packets, golf balls, glass fucking bottles, pop bottles, beer cans and all manner of worse things besides.

Not that I'm going to put a soaking, rancid used diaper, spewing semi-liquid filth out of the sides in my backpack to start with, and certainly bloody well not in with my meds, smokes, AMT/DMT/5-MeO-DALT etc. if I brought any psychedelics along for the walk. EWW.

And I shudder at the mere thought of getting a needlestick contaminated with said reeking heap of islam.  Noxious waste I won't pick up, no way in Hades.
Thats best dealt with by pushing the unmentionables with a stick onto a pile of dry wood and tinder, and burn it in situ.

Aggravates me no end, that the same shitheads that want to use the woods to go to the golf course I hunt mushrooms on, and I see them leaving broken golf balls everywhere, or just stupidly using my free food as target practice, and people with dogs can be such moronic fecal impactions, take your fucking shit with you, plastic bag and all. Unless you are actually desperate and need to squat :P

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #1182 on: September 12, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
A (home-made) banana milkshake. Nice. (eating/drinking.. what ever)
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1183 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
One of these. It's a favourite treat around here:

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1184 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:11 PM »

One of these. It's a favourite treat around here:

I live on Nature Valley granola bars during the summer.