Educational

Author Topic: What are you eating right now?  (Read 45453 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What are you eating right now?
« Reply #1920 on: July 05, 2017, 05:58:29 PM »
Canadian smarties sound like m&m candies. The American smarties are like bits of chalk.
True. They sound like they would but they taste different.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1921 on: July 05, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
Ah, the Gopher has some(?) of them. Cool. Think if I had a handfull of them I'd display them on a nice untreated piece of wood in the middle of my round (low) table.. but that's just me rambling on for a bit now.

It was your video that inspired me to buy them.  :orly:  About two years after the fact, but still. I still appreciate you making me aware. I have 102 of them. I ordered 100 and the package also contained two separately wrapped seeds with a little handwritten scrap of paper that read, gift. I'm guessing the gift was to prevent any potential upset caused by miscounting. They're kept in a simple glass dish, in hope to not detract any attention away from them. A plain piece of untreated wood sounds like it would be fitting too.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1922 on: July 05, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
Rose Petal KitKats.

OMG I'm so jealous.  :orly:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #1923 on: July 05, 2017, 07:39:55 PM »
Canadian smarties sound like m&m candies. The American smarties are like bits of chalk.
Is it the chocolate that taste different? That would make sense since American chocolates often have a sour milk undertone and have read many people from from countries don't find it palatable.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1924 on: July 05, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »
Is there a candy kind? That's weird.

Wasn't there a things I learned today thread somewhere?

Yes. Bitter and sour or tart and overtly sweet and super chemically imitation flavored.
To me they smell so disgusting, I have a difficult time staying in the same room with someone indulging in a twist of them.

They are very cheap and have become a favorite for Halloween candy bag fillers.
They are popular especially with people who have already burned down the forests of their taste buds from eating overly flavored garbage like this.

Do a google. I tried to post the linky, but it was restricted.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1925 on: July 05, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
These mother fuckers, I'm eating right now.

I love those. I eat them whole, swallow hulls and all sometimes, but I usually just extract the nut.

I also buy just the nuts and indulge.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1926 on: July 05, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »

That's the only way I like them. I might also try sunflower butter one of these days because that sounds like it might be good. I'm always amazed by the bags of shelled seeds. I've watched videos of the hulling machines before, and it looks like there's a lot of vibrating involved to separate the bits of shell from the seeds, but I still can't seem to wrap my head around how that works to end up with mass amounts of perfectly shelled seeds without any bits of shell, so it's sort of like magic to me.  :lol1:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #1927 on: July 06, 2017, 02:17:19 AM »

That's the only way I like them. I might also try sunflower butter one of these days because that sounds like it might be good. I'm always amazed by the bags of shelled seeds. I've watched videos of the hulling machines before, and it looks like there's a lot of vibrating involved to separate the bits of shell from the seeds, but I still can't seem to wrap my head around how that works to end up with mass amounts of perfectly shelled seeds without any bits of shell, so it's sort of like magic to me.  :lol1:

Don't buy the raw stuff, that tastes gross.
:dog:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1928 on: July 06, 2017, 02:19:27 AM »
Rose Petal KitKats.

OMG I'm so jealous.  :orly:

:) It was very subtle but the rose flavour was just about there.

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #1929 on: July 06, 2017, 04:03:45 AM »
Re sunflower seed 'discussion':

I just do the commonly seen thing, break the hull with my front teeth and then, with my apelike hands, peel off the case and put the seed in my gob.

Quite healthy these seeds are.. and a great provider of some extra magnesium (amongst other nutritional things) into one's system.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1930 on: July 06, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
Is it the chocolate that taste different? That would make sense since American chocolates often have a sour milk undertone and have read many people from from countries don't find it palatable.
Yes. Different taste on the inside and in the chocolate shell as well.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #1931 on: July 06, 2017, 06:55:59 PM »

I'll be sure to pick on that's chocked full of sugar and preservatives.  :thumbup:

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1932 on: July 07, 2017, 03:32:47 PM »

I'll be sure to pick on that's chocked full of sugar and preservatives.  :thumbup:

:P I meant the raw stuff as in uncooked.

Anyone who is interested, cashew nut butter eaten after being stored in the fridge tastes lovely. I used to eat a jar at a time and had to stop buying it. Having it cold just makes the texture even better.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #1933 on: July 07, 2017, 03:45:52 PM »

They are awesome to slowly roast in a dry frying pan. By the time they start changing colour add a teaspoon of water mixed with flavour (like salt and/or Tabasco) stirr it through well, till the seeds are dry again. (Few seconds) and you have a warm snack seasoned the way you want it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:47:32 PM by 'andersom' »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1934 on: July 07, 2017, 03:49:44 PM »
Most people are put off by uncooked "nuts and seeds" and few have the patience to accomplish preparations on their own.

In Texas, I often grew those two foot in diameter sunflowers. They make a basket full of seeds, each flower. I usually just roasted them and they were awesome. SO fresh.
To prepare them to the most popular standard, they must first be brined, like peanuts, in salty water for several days or even a couple of weeks, then drained and roasted.
That is my favorite way to prepare them, unless I am intending to make "butter" out of them. IN that case, I simply roast them whole, grind them in a food processor and add a bit of salt at that time, along with a bit of sugar and some coconut oil. Peanut oil works as well. Makes a fabulous spread that way for toast, crackers or bagels.
It has to "rest" for a few days until all the salts and sugars are incorporated completely.

Exactly the same way I make pecan butter. I actually roast them in the shells. Makes them super easy to shell, cleanly.