Educational

Author Topic: Ask Butterfly a question  (Read 8692 times)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Ask Butterfly a question
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2010, 05:41:22 AM »
Sorry I should have worded that better - I meant the guy involved in the situation.

No worries. :thumbup:

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:11 AM »
IYO, is there a God? Or Gods?
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »
IYO, is there a God? Or Gods?

I don't believe in any Gods and I definately don't believe in any of the religions. I think religion was created before people had any understanding of the universe and it was just peopkes way of explaining the things they didn't understand. To me it looks like the universe was probably created by the big bang.
Just because the big bang theory looks like the most likely explanation for how we got here doesn't mean that I'm totally convinced it's true though.
I find it hard to have any strong belief in any of the theorys about our origin. I don't think we've got enough evidence at the moment to say for absolute sure how we got here.
I think one or two other slightly diferent theorys such as the Cyclic Universe Theory where the Universe expands and contracts an infinite number of times are no more unlikely than the current Big Bang Theory.

OK, sorry if that's slightly incoherant. I've had a few glasses of wine. Maybe this is a question I should only answer when I'm sober. Maybe when I've sobered up I'll come back and edit it and just write a simple No I don't believe in God. But for now I'll leave it up. :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck:

TheoK

« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:45 PM »
Being an atheist is  :viking:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »

I'm not sure that it is  :viking: to be an athiest. I think it's braver to believe in God but still live your life in a way that you believe might lead you to hell.

Scrapheap

« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:36 PM »
Again though, I say you need to find a situation or set up one suited to overcoming your phobia, and go ahead and face it head on. Only way to overcome stuff like that to my knowledge.

That's what I'm doing on this site. There's no point in trying to overcome my intimacy problem without first trying to sort out my social phobia. I find it very hard to talk to people in real life. If I say something stupid on here I know it won't affect me IRL. Some people advised me to try speaking on the internet as a first step towards being able to speak to people face to face.

I had a similar problem when I was your age. Now that I'm older and more jaded, I just don't give a fuck about what other people think. I've found the average person to be rather stupid TBH and the opinions of idiots don't affect me.

It might help you to think of people who you want to go talk to as escapees from an asylum for the retarded. It might help your confidence if you trick yourself into thinking that the people you're addressing are somehow beneath you.

Scrapheap

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2010, 12:33:23 PM »

I'm not sure that it is  :viking: to be an athiest.

I agree with Lit. Religion is used to yoke peoples minds and reduce them to the mentality of a slave. By rejecting religions philosophy of blind obedience and worship, you've taken the first step in being your own, strong, independent person.

I think it's braver to believe in God but still live your life in a way that you believe might lead you to hell.

Not really, that's what the vicarious redemption of Jesus is for. You can sin all you want and all is forgiven so long as you mindlessly worship and adore your redeemer.

TheoK

« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »
 :agreed:

Blasted

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2010, 12:38:21 PM »
It might help you to think of people who you want to go talk to as escapees from an asylum for the retarded. It might help your confidence if you trick yourself into thinking that the people you're addressing are somehow beneath you.

Don't worry Scrappy, you're still thicker and spazzier than everyone else no matter how much you try and kid yourself otherwise  :thumbup:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
By rejecting religions philosophy of blind obedience and worship, you've taken the first step in being your own, strong, independent person.

You couldn't be strong and independent even if you tried.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #145 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:06 PM »

That does work, but only to an extent. I do find it easier to talk to someone if I have contempt for them, but there's no way I can trick myself into feeling above somebody unless they've done something to make me feel above them, and if I have contempt for someone then then I'm not really interested in forming any relationship with that person. When I first meet someone I always feel inferior to them. I always feel that they're more intelligent, better looking and more socially able. Also, if I take the attidude that I'm above somebody I'm far more likely to appear obnoxious.

I agree with Lit. Religion is used to yoke peoples minds and reduce them to the mentality of a slave. By rejecting religions philosophy of blind obedience and worship, you've taken the first step in being your own, strong, independent person.

It's only  :viking: to be an athiest if you feel there's some possibility God exists. It's not  :viking: at all if you have no belief whatsoever in the afterlife. If there is a God I find it hard to believe that he would be so petty as to condemn someone to eternal torture simply for not believing in him. If he was so bothered about people believing in him surely he would just come out and tell everybody "Hey, I'm God and you all have to worship me or you'll go to hell" If he done that then I wouldn't be  :viking: enough to be an athiest :laugh:.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #146 on: May 12, 2010, 04:21:11 PM »

I'm not sure that it is  :viking: to be an athiest. I think it's braver to believe in God but still live your life in a way that you believe might lead you to hell.

:agreed: If you do believe even a little in hell, that is indeed risky.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #147 on: May 12, 2010, 10:27:19 PM »
You have to be strong in the face of dangerous consequences to be brave.   Being an atheist is not brave in itself, but openly being an atheist in a world full of religious people is brave.   Standing up against the tyranny of the religious institutions of this world is dangerous, as many of the powers-that-be in this world are in league with said religions institutions.   Atheists are the enemy of all religion.   Committing deicide is dangerous not because of the supposed gods, but the delusional followers that hate you because you destroyed their god are dangerous.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #148 on: May 13, 2010, 06:21:21 AM »
You have to be strong in the face of dangerous consequences to be brave.   Being an atheist is not brave in itself, but openly being an atheist in a world full of religious people is brave.   Standing up against the tyranny of the religious institutions of this world is dangerous, as many of the powers-that-be in this world are in league with said religions institutions.   Atheists are the enemy of all religion.   Committing deicide is dangerous not because of the supposed gods, but the delusional followers that hate you because you destroyed their god are dangerous.

I think Britain is much less religious than America. Some of my friends were religious but none of them were very serious about it. From my experience most of the younger generation in Scotland were either atiest or religious in name only. I don't think I've had any friends who regularly attended church.
N.Ireland is the complete opposite though. The place is full of churches of every denomination. They seem to be competing with one another for your soul.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #149 on: May 13, 2010, 06:23:08 AM »
It's fun to watch, especially when their religion is a pile of bollocks.