Author Topic: ... and though I walk through the valley of death, I fear no evil, for...  (Read 4326 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Welcome home, is that you in your new avatar? :headbang2:

No, it's the Ballarat Bandit, Robbie Johnston. I consider him a kindred soul of sorts.  8)

I see...

*locks up valuables, just in case* :laugh:

He only stole what he needed to survive. He broke into one cabin and pilfered their spice racks!  :zombiefuck:

He couldn't survive without a complete set of spices? Was he also a pastry chef? :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Scrapheap

Well, I'm on my way to the Death Valley Field Trip Reunion Party!!! :party:

There's supposed to be 6 cases of Newcastle and 6 cases of Firestone Pale Ale. I have volunteered my services just in case they have a hard time getting rid of all the beer.  ;) :glug:

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
I have tomorrow off and i am going to watch the pole quals for the Indy 500.

see you there? 

probably not, sorry.

I will fear no evil.

(been a while since I got in for free - I paid full price, last year, just to make sure I was there)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Online DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
I know it is not your sort of racing (nor is it my favorite), but seriously, IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG FOR ME!!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Scrapheap

I know it is not your sort of racing (nor is it my favorite), but seriously, IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG FOR ME!!

I'm sure the Indy 500 is one hell of a cool spectacle to see in person. As for me, I have a more than just a bit of ADD and 2 hours is too long for me to pay attention to a race.

:tantrum:
My issue with Indy racing, is the issue that I have with all of professional motorsports these days. It's all descended into spec racing. Who wants to see 30 of the same Honda powered Dallara chassis racing?? What does that prove?? NASCAR with its COT is the same, and the NHRA is just as guilty of homoginizing its pro classes. That's why I've become an advocate of grassroots motorsports. I like to see different types of cars competing against eachother. I also want to see racing that's done for the pure passion of racing, instead of for money and TV exposure.

/end :tantrum:

Online DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore

I'm sure the Indy 500 is one hell of a cool spectacle to see in person. As for me, I have a more than just a bit of ADD and 2 hours is too long for me to pay attention to a race.

:tantrum:
My issue with Indy racing, is the issue that I have with all of professional motorsports these days. It's all descended into spec racing. Who wants to see 30 of the same Honda powered Dallara chassis racing?? What does that prove?? NASCAR with its COT is the same, and the NHRA is just as guilty of homoginizing its pro classes. That's why I've become an advocate of grassroots motorsports. I like to see different types of cars competing against eachother. I also want to see racing that's done for the pure passion of racing, instead of for money and TV exposure.

/end :tantrum:

I mostly agree, but I often root for the underdog who can not find a high dollar sponsor until the last day.

For me it is mostly about the team effort and how they are able to overcome and anticipate the vastly changing conditions at this track. (remember, it is an almost flat track, with extreme swings in temperature during the day - I forget the exact degree of maximum banking but it is pretty much a flat track compared to all the rest.).   

... and the "spectacle,"  of course. As you know, my ADHD is something similar to your ADD, but there is so much going on at the "500"  that I never go bored. I also never go to a race without my closed channel track radio set, either.  The crowd is always entertaining, even though the no-name Christians finally managed to outlaw bare tits in the infield a few years ago.  :violin:

I also like the smell of freshly compression burned, delectably clean, almost edible, high tech synth-oil, the way the stands shake as the cars rumble by (most people do not realize just how big and powerful the cars are, because they have only seen them on television and the damn things are just over knee-high to the techs that build them - :lol:) and the incredible amount of wasted "anti-lift, down-force air,"  curling over the bodies of the cars, that smacks the fuck out of you if you are in the first twelve or fifteen rows up. It is one of those complicated sets of experiences that you MUST be present for, just to begin to understand the first half of it.

I do get what you are talking about, though. I used to go to so many NASCAR races (there were just so damn many to go to, within driving distance, nearby), but I have now, completely turned my back to them. I did not even watch last year's, Daytona 500 and forget this year's. 

Homogeny in racing fucking sucks!!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:55:52 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: ... and though I walk through the valley of death, I fear no evil, for...
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 03:42:29 PM »
This was a fun field trip.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 03:22:14 PM »
Are you going there again?  :orly:
:gopher:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
Well, now would be the time of year to do it, daytime temps are in the 50's to 70's.

It gets surprisingly cold at night there though.

The first night I was there, it was 33 deg at sunrise. It was over 100 at Badwater Basin by 2pm that same day.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2017, 09:36:07 PM »
If you go, bring me back a sailing stone.  :green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-AFHieDpM

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »
^ We camped out there on our second to last night.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 05:32:06 PM »
 :viking:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:02 AM »
If you go, bring me back a sailing stone.  :green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-AFHieDpM

Cool.

Ice, snow and storm may have more to tell in different geological mysteries.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBgiU_rNDxs

Every time I see a picture of the moving boulders....