Author Topic: House Jenga gone wrong  (Read 200 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
House Jenga gone wrong
« on: July 24, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
In my area they have been raising the existing houses down by the  shore to avoid flood damage like we had after the last few hurricanes.  They put big steel beams under them then slowly raise them on wooden cribbing that resembles a giant Jenga game then lower them onto cement piers    they build.  They always look like they are going fall and finally one did and less than a mile from my house.

https://www.wtnh.com/news/connecticut/new-haven/home-under-construction-collapses-in-milford/1318218241
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
Re: House Jenga gone wrong
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »
Sounds like the house had been structurally weakened before they even tried to lift it.

It's just common sense that if you try to lift something that has been compromised, that it will shift if you try to lift it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 02:54:41 PM »
The houses down there were all seasonal beach cottages up until not all that long ago.    I have been in and under a lot of them and have always been amazed they made it though the storms.  The decks from  two of them where at the end of my street after Sandy

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »
Wow. They jacked it up pretty high, I'm surprised they haven't lost more that way. :zombiefuck:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:17:39 PM »
Did Captain Obvious write the article?  "It was determined raising the home was no longer safe when the home collapsed to the ground below."

Raising houses in New Orleans and the surrounding area is old hat.  Abry Brothers has been doing it since 1840.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:24:59 PM »
They did a three story one higher than around the corner last year I was sure was going to have some issues but it turn out fine

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 05:27:48 PM »
Did Captain Obvious write the article?  "It was determined raising the home was no longer safe when the home collapsed to the ground below."

Raising houses in New Orleans and the surrounding area is old hat.  Abry Brothers has been doing it since 1840.

They have only been doing it on a regular basis around here the last 20 years or so and most of them were done by the same guy up until after Hurricane Irene

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 08:05:16 PM »
Most of the house raising here is about 3 feet or so.  But then we have levees and pumps and prayers.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
My uncle (or step uncle, if I must) built a home on South Padre Island, a place which sees many storms, including hurricanes, etc,  When he built it, instead if using about eight little skinny things that look like pillars, he used around thirty, eight foot tall things that more resembled pyramids than skinny sticks.

He then built in the under area, with "outdoor living spaces" for when the weather was nice,  but the entire house was heavily built with a great deal of steel and every joint was reinforced with steel hangers and cross turnbuckles inside the walls. I am pretty sure if his house fell, it would just go "CLUNK!"  and it would have been fine.

Kind of sad to think that someone put hopes and dreams into that compromised structure.
 :headhurts:

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
My uncle (or step uncle, if I must) built a home on South Padre Island, a place which sees many storms, including hurricanes, etc,  When he built it, instead if using about eight little skinny things that look like pillars, he used around thirty, eight foot tall things that more resembled pyramids than skinny sticks.

He then built in the under area, with "outdoor living spaces" for when the weather was nice,  but the entire house was heavily built with a great deal of steel and every joint was reinforced with steel hangers and cross turnbuckles inside the walls. I am pretty sure if his house fell, it would just go "CLUNK!"  and it would have been fine.

Kind of sad to think that someone put hopes and dreams into that compromised structure.
 :headhurts:

Texans know how to build.