Author Topic: The pussifaction of America  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: The pussifaction of America
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 11:37:30 AM »
I wonder how they can hold you in a nut house if you're suicidal if suicide is legal?

Because there is another law that says that they can put you in a nut house if you are a threat "against yourself or others".

Being a threat to others is understandable as a reason, since it's a crime to attack other people, of course. Being a threat to yourself is absolutely nonsense, since it's not a crime.

We have something called "administrative courts" in Sweden. They have nothing to do with crime cases but handle such cases as when you're suicidal, appeal an authority decision etc. You can't appeal most authority decisions in Sweden to an ordinary court.

I thought the reason suicide was against the law here was so they could lock you up if you wanted to do it.

Otherwise laws against suicide make no sense.  What are they going to do to you if you commit suicide, give you the death penalty?

Is suicide illegal in the US, then? Here it was illegal for religious reasons, and the punishment before 1856 was that you'd be buried in a distant corner of the cemetary or even outside it.

I think it's a stupid law, but yes, I believe that it is.

Also, I believe that health insurance does not pay for medical treatment for suicide attempts.

TheoK

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 11:43:50 AM »
I think it's a stupid law, but yes, I believe that it is.

Also, I believe that health insurance does not pay for medical treatment for suicide attempts.

The state pays the health care for suicidal people in Sweden, though ironcally you pay a nominal hospital fee for being involuntarily in a nut house. It's about $150 or so a month. The real cost for being in a nut house here is like $200 a day, but the state obviously doesn't care. They can always raise the taxes a bit more.  ::)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
also, when they continue to legislate common sense it makes it so people do not have to think for themselves so they don't.  example: seat belt law.  no fucking shit.  give me the facts and show me the statistics which show me that wearing a seatbelt will likely save my life and i will wear one.  why?  because i am capable of making common sense decisions.  but, when they tell you you have to and then punish you when you don't then you have completly taken away my rational thought on a certain subject.  then, when they write a million similar laws then i wonder why i have to even think at all.  and this is what they want.

The seat belt is likely to save your live - though in a situation where you would have been killed without it, you'd most probably survive as an invalid.

The seat belt law is there for two reasons:

1. The state needs its slaves. Saving lives is a self-purpose for the state. In Sweden you can be held in a nut house for several months if you're suicidal, despite the fact that suicide has been legal since 1856 here.

2. You are supposed to obey the state without thinking. In dictatorships they use parades, salutations etc for that purpose, in "democracies" they legislate common sense or even things that make no sense, like the seat belt law or environmentalism ad absurdum.
you make a great point by quoting me!  8)
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
Seat belts and a lot of the other nanny state laws are pushed by the insurance companies to reduce claims and add to profits
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 03:38:47 PM »
Seat belts and a lot of the other nanny state laws are pushed by the insurance companies to reduce claims and add to profits

Maybe in America but not here. The state is behind all nanny-ing here.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »

Maybe in America but not here. The state is behind all nanny-ing here.

Not saying the state has nothing to do with it but the insurance companies spend big bucks in Washington getting things they want
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 11:52:40 PM »
Who the fuck doesn't wear seat belts?

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:16 PM »
Who the fuck doesn't wear seat belts?
Idiots that want to be thrown through the windshield.
:P   Internets are super serious.

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 02:33:21 AM »
It shouldn't be compulsory. It's an insult to people's intelligence making things like that compulsory.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 03:17:36 AM »
People who don't want to wear seatbelts don't have much intelligence to insult as it is.

TheoK

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 03:30:18 AM »
Where do you draw the line? Compulsory bicycle helmet for adults? Compulsory helmet when walking? Compulsory cushions around your body when walking?

We already have compulsory bicycle helmets for kids under 15 here.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
compulsary auto insurance?

seat belt, helmet and insurance laws went into effect and i haven't seen a drop in my premiums, yet the insurance companies are raking it in.
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »
We have compulsory bicycle helmets for adults here.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 06:29:05 AM »

seat belt, helmet and insurance laws went into effect and i haven't seen a drop in my premiums, yet the insurance companies are raking it in.

Insurance companies are in the business of making money, not saving you money.

TheoK

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2010, 06:32:15 AM »

It reminds me...a great deal of Sweden's power plants are hydro-electric. The state electric power company is even called Vattenfall -"Waterfall". Although its has rained and snowed more than normal for several years now, the electricity prices are going up constantly, despite the fact that the reservoirs should be more than full.