Educational

Author Topic: Oops, banned from WP  (Read 3154 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Oops, banned from WP
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 11:59:16 AM »
:agreed:

Also, I think it's idiotic to have a rule that you can't discuss banned members there or you will be banned yourself when you have no way of even knowing who the banned ones are. 

It sounds to me like an attempt to cover up how many members have been banned.
and if that is his policy then he is downright sneaky.....oh, and a bitch also.
Misunderstood.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 03:17:42 PM »
I hear they're a ban party. Yeah some people do come back to troll who were once regular members there before they were banned. I've gone to forums and there were lot of banned members. The mods have no problem having banned in their profiles. I go to a forum where people get banned all the time because they are sock puppets or they lied about their age. It's amazing how often people lie about their age because they are that paranoid and then they join that forum and bam they're out of there once they're caught they have lied. I'm surprised I was never banned for saying I live in the Benny & Joon town in my profile as my location  :LOL: Maybe putting down "I wish" told them I don't but still.

The nsider forums, I have no idea why people get banned. Maybe for breaking the rules.

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 11:42:02 AM »
:agreed:

Also, I think it's idiotic to have a rule that you can't discuss banned members there or you will be banned yourself when you have no way of even knowing who the banned ones are. 

It sounds to me like an attempt to cover up how many members have been banned.

Yeah, course it is.  Thats why they keep locking threads, or deleting them, or posts.  Trying to hide all the shit under the rug, but its getting full.  A site can't be run that way.
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 02:30:43 PM »
The nsider forums, I have no idea why people get banned. Maybe for breaking the rules.
i always thought that rules were made to be broken.

or is it that rules are meant to be broken by the rich or only used for their own advantage?
Misunderstood.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 05:27:18 PM »
Zygomatic Major how exactly were you banned? Were you unable to login and not recover your password or were you able to login and you couldn't see the board?

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2010, 12:06:58 AM »
...considering how much I've bashed WP over the years, it's amazing to think that my account is still there.

At least, I think it is.

edit:

Yup, still there and unbanned, May 25 2007, 41 posts  :zoinks:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 12:09:15 AM by Pikajedi3 »

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2010, 12:32:04 AM »
Wow you're lucky. I have heard of people getting banned when they haven't even gone there in a while. One member said she can't even login despite that she doesn't go to WP anymore. Now I don't know if it's some glitch or it's their new way of banning. Change our passwords and email. Emor found she can't even login after she made that one post at the psych forums. She didn't go there anyway but would sometimes and can't even be there for five minutes because she can't stand what she sees there.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »
I think its a glitch. I kicked up a huge stink when it happened to me.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 01:47:41 AM »

I wonder if it could be an coincidence then? It happened to Emor and Celtic Frost and then to his new account and we have all done something wrong. But what Emor did happened off WP.

EDIT: Okay I contacted Alex. I don't know if he will reply or not. If not, I can try PMing him and risk having my husband's account getting banned.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:11:37 AM by Kit »

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2010, 06:55:21 AM »
Wow you're lucky. I have heard of people getting banned when they haven't even gone there in a while. One member said she can't even login despite that she doesn't go to WP anymore. Now I don't know if it's some glitch or it's their new way of banning. Change our passwords and email. Emor found she can't even login after she made that one post at the psych forums. She didn't go there anyway but would sometimes and can't even be there for five minutes because she can't stand what she sees there.

Oh, it's very much doable - if WP's backend is like AFF's, it's very easy to do, it's something I've done to spammers in the past, before I actually had the ability to ban.

Didn't know that Emor had gotten banned. Shame - still, she's on Spectrum Forums or whatever it's called now.

Really, WP should handle bannings the same way we do at AFF - if you're banned, big thick line through the name.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2010, 07:04:59 AM »

Oh, it's very much doable - if WP's backend is like AFF's, it's very easy to do, it's something I've done to spammers in the past, before I actually had the ability to ban.

Didn't know that Emor had gotten banned. Shame - still, she's on Spectrum Forums or whatever it's called now.

Really, WP should handle bannings the same way we do at AFF - if you're banned, big thick line through the name, most of the time.

fixed
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2010, 07:25:17 AM »

Really, WP should handle bannings the same way we do at AFF - if you're banned, big thick line through the name, most of the time every time if I'm the one who banned them

fixed Fixed

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2010, 07:41:40 AM »

Really, WP should handle bannings the same way we do at AFF - if you're banned, big thick line through the name, most of the time every time if I'm the one who banned them

fixed Fixed
:laugh: :plus:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55:39 AM »

fixed Fixed
:laugh: :plus:

How does it work over at Spectrumites - does it cross out, grey them out...? I think it greys them out, right?

Either way, it's still better than WP's method - also, over at AFF at least, we don't ban or warn if you talk about old members, we'd just rather you kept a civil tongue about it, else folks might be liable to get a mite tetchy - if you do mention an old member in passing, fine, but if you start slagging them off, wheeeelll, things might get a bit more serious (though this depends on the members - trolls and fuckheads, sure, go ahead, but otherwise we don't encourage the whole talking behind peoples back thing - if you're going to stab someone in the back, have the balls to do it to their face, y'know?)

Offline benjimanbreeg

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I do not have the right not to do so
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 12:55:01 PM »

I wonder if it could be an coincidence then? It happened to Emor and Celtic Frost and then to his new account and we have all done something wrong. But what Emor did happened off WP.

EDIT: Okay I contacted Alex. I don't know if he will reply or not. If not, I can try PMing him and risk having my husband's account getting banned.

Its cause Alex fancies her.  And sinsboldly sees herself in her.
"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

"When men lead by words that are false as they preach
Fatality waits in the wings
Surrounded by fools behind walls that are breached
Beware of the jester that sings"

Leeeeeaaaave Benji alooooooone!  :bigcry: