Author Topic: I call out the catholics  (Read 3417 times)

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: I call out the catholics
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2011, 06:51:50 PM »
I'm bumping this because I was raised Catholic and I can't believe I didn't post in it the first time around.  :zoinks:

What was your confirmation name?

"Matthew,"  because somebody told me he was some kind of bookkeeper, and at the time I was confirmed,
 I thought I wanted to be an accountant because supposedly it was a good sensible field to go into.
 It was a clueless time of life in so many ways, right down to the ill-chosen dress I wore to my confirmation!   :rofl:

My goodness!  What a difference a few years and many miles can make.  Saints had to match the sex of the confirmant.  My saint, as posted in another thread, is Euphrasia.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2011, 06:55:37 PM »
I'm bumping this because I was raised Catholic and I can't believe I didn't post in it the first time around.  :zoinks:

"Matthew,"  because somebody told me he was some kind of bookkeeper, and at the time I was confirmed,
 I thought I wanted to be an accountant because supposedly it was a good sensible field to go into.
 It was a clueless time of life in so many ways, right down to the ill-chosen dress I wore to my confirmation!   :rofl:

Should have chosen Lilith.  :orly:

We never learned about her, are you surprised?  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 07:03:54 PM »

Should have chosen Lilith.  :orly:

We never learned about her, are you surprised?  :zoinks:

No , Catholics always leave out the half-interesting people.  :indeed:  :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »

My goodness!  What a difference a few years and many miles can make.  Saints had to match the sex of the confirmant.  My saint, as posted in another thread, is Euphrasia.

At the time, I thought I was pretty cool for choosing a man's name.  Now it just seems odd!  :laugh:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »

At the time, I thought I was pretty cool for choosing a man's name.  Now it just seems odd!  :laugh:

Even if Father Arthur would have let you do that, Sister Beatrice would have sank that idea pronto.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Scrapheap

« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:53 PM »
I never mentioned an afterlife and personally don't care if there is one or not. However, what happens when we die cannot be directly studied. Sure you can indirectly study it by checking brain activity and such, but what do *you* experience?

Blackness?
The realization we're dreaming?
The realization that reality as we know it was not real?
Etc.

All of these are possible, but there is no evidence of any of them. Being sure on blackness is just the same is being sure there is an afterlife, both could be complete myths and something completely different could happen. In reality, the only way to find out is to die.

BULLSHIT! blackness fits the evidence that we DO have. That the conciousness and self are just manifestations of brain activity. Wehne the brain dies, so does the self. That is what the evidence points to.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
I never mentioned an afterlife and personally don't care if there is one or not. However, what happens when we die cannot be directly studied. Sure you can indirectly study it by checking brain activity and such, but what do *you* experience?

Blackness?
The realization we're dreaming?
The realization that reality as we know it was not real?
Etc.

All of these are possible, but there is no evidence of any of them. Being sure on blackness is just the same is being sure there is an afterlife, both could be complete myths and something completely different could happen. In reality, the only way to find out is to die.

BULLSHIT! blackness fits the evidence that we DO have. That the conciousness and self are just manifestations of brain activity. Wehne the brain dies, so does the self. That is what the evidence points to.

What evidence are you referring to Scrap?

Can you post examples?
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »
One week from today I fly out to Minnesota to be the best man at my brother's wedding.  His fiancee's family is, from what I hear, psycho-catholic, she's already bit him in the neck and sucked all the episcopalianism out, now he acts like he's been Catholic his whole life.  So I'm gonna be standing there next to the altar in a tux for not only the service, but the full 2-hour high mass before the service.  I also get to meet her whole side of the family including the grandmother who apparently talks in tounges from time to time and has been known to enforce the saying of the Rosary with a broom handle.

I have a feeling there's gonna be some people who don't like me that much because I can only keep my "Atheist-bastardism" at bay for so long before I gotta start having a logical conversation which usually ends with people taking a step back to avoid the lightning bolt they think is about to hit me.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2011, 08:44:33 PM »
One week from today I fly out to Minnesota to be the best man at my brother's wedding.  His fiancee's family is, from what I hear, psycho-catholic, she's already bit him in the neck and sucked all the episcopalianism out, now he acts like he's been Catholic his whole life.  So I'm gonna be standing there next to the altar in a tux for not only the service, but the full 2-hour high mass before the service.  I also get to meet her whole side of the family including the grandmother who apparently talks in tounges from time to time and has been known to enforce the saying of the Rosary with a broom handle.

I have a feeling there's gonna be some people who don't like me that much because I can only keep my "Atheist-bastardism" at bay for so long before I gotta start having a logical conversation which usually ends with people taking a step back to avoid the lightning bolt they think is about to hit me.

Good luck.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2011, 10:49:25 PM »
sucked all the episcopalianism out, now he acts like he's been Catholic his whole life. 

How does one tell the difference?   :zoinks:

Scrapheap

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2011, 01:28:44 AM »
sucked all the episcopalianism out, now he acts like he's been Catholic his whole life. 

How does one tell the difference?   :zoinks:

Epis'ian has much less guilt than the regular Catholic, and half the calories.  8)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2011, 05:21:01 AM »

Yeah good luck you will need it.  Make sure you have enough  :stoned: for the ceremony they are indeed brutal.  Good thing is  most catholic receptions are pretty wild I think it's due to the repression in other areas of their lives
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline normal_impaired

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:02 AM »
I'm flying out there and since every TSA agent thinks there's a bomb up everyone's ass, I'm not gonna risk bringing any trees on the flight.  The night I get out there we're supposed to go bar hopping, so hopefully somebody will find something, if not I might just have to settle with my old buddy 'weiser.
Autism Speaks would like to remind you that you don't exist, because there are no Autistic adults and autistic children are too braindead to be able to use a computer.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:06 AM »
I'm flying out there and since every TSA agent thinks there's a bomb up everyone's ass, I'm not gonna risk bringing any trees on the flight.  The night I get out there we're supposed to go bar hopping, so hopefully somebody will find something, if not I might just have to settle with my old buddy 'weiser.

You poor bastard.
I would give you advice if I had any.  :plus: for fronting up.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Scrapheap

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2011, 12:19:12 PM »

I'd wear a bunch of wooden dowels, painted red, attached by wires and linked to a clock on my chest, just to fuck with them.  :evillaugh: