Author Topic: I call out the catholics  (Read 3408 times)

Scrapheap

Re: I call out the catholics
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2010, 12:12:54 PM »
non-practicing here

Isn't that the same thing as being an atheist??  :orly:

Scrapheap

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »
Well Shleed?? no response??

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
Well Shleed?? no response??

Impatient cunt. :orly:

My point is that while I know of these, I simply choose to ignore the fluff. Why should I need to over complicate things by referring myself as a chaoticgnosticagnosticatheistsegamegadriveioncannonextraordinaire because of subtle differences when I can cut the bullshit and round things up? I simply refer to myself as agnostic because I am unsure of certain things, ie. what happens when we die and so on.

Scrapheap

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 08:01:18 PM »
My point is that while I know of these, I simply choose to ignore the fluff. Why should I need to over complicate things by referring myself as a chaoticgnosticagnosticatheistsegamegadriveioncannonextraordinaire because of subtle differences when I can cut the bullshit and round things up?

The difference between strong and weak atheism isn't a subtle one, it's quite significant actually.

I simply refer to myself as agnostic because I am unsure of certain things, ie. what happens when we die and so on.

Does it make sense to be agnostic about fairies in your garden? does it make sense to be agnostic about pink unicorns?? By the same tokien, it's absurd to be agnostic about gods because we know, that out of the thousands of examples of them, that they're all myths. Why would you stongly disbelieve in Zeus but be agnostic towards the god of the bible? It doesn't make any sense.

In a similar vein, belief in an afterlife is absurd because in order to keep the mind going, there would have to be a similar structure to a brain to keep the "soul" alaive. We see no evidence for this, so once again, it's absurd to be agnostic towards things for which 1) there is no evidence and 2) things that are clearly tied to mythology.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »
Does it make sense to be agnostic about fairies in your garden? does it make sense to be agnostic about pink unicorns?? By the same tokien, it's absurd to be agnostic about gods because we know, that out of the thousands of examples of them, that they're all myths. Why would you stongly disbelieve in Zeus but be agnostic towards the god of the bible? It doesn't make any sense.

I already said I think the whole concept of god in general is bullshit. You're trying to provide a counter argument to one that isn't there.

In a similar vein, belief in an afterlife is absurd because in order to keep the mind going, there would have to be a similar structure to a brain to keep the "soul" alaive. We see no evidence for this, so once again, it's absurd to be agnostic towards things for which 1) there is no evidence and 2) things that are clearly tied to mythology.

I never mentioned an afterlife and personally don't care if there is one or not. However, what happens when we die cannot be directly studied. Sure you can indirectly study it by checking brain activity and such, but what do *you* experience?

Blackness?
The realization we're dreaming?
The realization that reality as we know it was not real?
Etc.

All of these are possible, but there is no evidence of any of them. Being sure on blackness is just the same is being sure there is an afterlife, both could be complete myths and something completely different could happen. In reality, the only way to find out is to die.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:46:11 PM by Shleed. »

Offline Loupgarou

• Tormented Werewolf of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Friendly Recluse
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
Yes, I am Catholic and came very close to becoming a Nun, studying Theology. I have not been to church in many years, but I will occasionally consult a priest if need be.

However, I am interested in all doctrines, whether I agree with them or not. I am particularly fascinated with Paganism, Native American Indian cultural and belief systems, "voodoo" and I readily read and practice Taoism.

I had a very good mentor on my way to the convent, in high school. He was a very open minded priest and encouraged me to study Judaism, Islam and a number of other doctrines.

Any reason for the callout hon?

Loup
"Long-winded speech is exhausting. Better to stay centered". - Lao Tzu

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2010, 07:25:29 AM »
This is funny, Scat basically told me to hurry up with my response and now it looks like he's reluctant to respond. :zoinks:

I'm apathetic of people's beliefs unless they try to force their views onto me like some self-righteous cuntwit. This also applies to athiests, but most are under the delusion that their beliefs isn't a religion. They basically say:

In the name of the Science
The Smug
And the Holy Evolution
Amen.

:zoinks:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:33:56 AM by Shleed. »

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2011, 06:25:20 PM »
 I'm bumping this because I was raised Catholic and I can't believe I didn't post in it the first time around.  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
I'm bumping this because I was raised Catholic and I can't believe I didn't post in it the first time around.  :zoinks:

You're such a shit stirrer.  :laugh:  :plus:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 06:32:44 PM »

Damn straight!  Now where is that Soph?   :boxers:

People forget.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 06:34:21 PM »

Burning your churches.  :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 06:39:09 PM »

Burning your churches.  :zoinks:

I must say, we have some lovely churches, fragrant incense, and utterly glorious stained glass!   :2thumbsup:

People forget.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »

What was your confirmation name?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »

"Matthew,"  because somebody told me he was some kind of bookkeeper, and at the time I was confirmed,
 I thought I wanted to be an accountant because supposedly it was a good sensible field to go into.
 It was a clueless time of life in so many ways, right down to the ill-chosen dress I wore to my confirmation!   :rofl:

People forget.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »

"Matthew,"  because somebody told me he was some kind of bookkeeper, and at the time I was confirmed,
 I thought I wanted to be an accountant because supposedly it was a good sensible field to go into.
 It was a clueless time of life in so many ways, right down to the ill-chosen dress I wore to my confirmation!   :rofl:

Should have chosen Lilith.  :orly: