Educational

Author Topic: Anything you want to know about Sir Les?  (Read 19309 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Anything you want to know about Sir Les?
« Reply #270 on: April 07, 2012, 09:07:34 AM »
There is a TV series starting here called 'poms in paradise' and it is about the growing number of brit's
who chose to live down under.   I didn't realise there was such an exodus,  have you noticed?  and do brit's behave well over there?

Well generally there is no real issues with Poms.
There is the stereotype of the whinging pom complete with socks and sadlas complaining endlessly about everything as a a converstion point.
That said it is really a non-issue that should we come acrioss such a person we roll our eyes and nod at each other much like the dumb blonde stereotype.
That said, Poms do fine. My two best friends are Poms. The heat knocks shit out of my mate. I find it too cold here. While I am zipping my jacket yo she is getting around in a short sleeve shirt and dress.
Ok,  yeah sounds about right.   It's hard to imagine a life in Australia or America,  but i think they both are popular places that people here dream of.  The one thing that puzzles me is do you have the equivalent of 'council estates',  we see on TV the American version a lot,  like the 'ghetto's'  but i have never seen on TV where poor Australians live.   
blah blah blah

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #271 on: April 07, 2012, 09:22:19 AM »
There is a TV series starting here called 'poms in paradise' and it is about the growing number of brit's
who chose to live down under.   I didn't realise there was such an exodus,  have you noticed?  and do brit's behave well over there?

Well generally there is no real issues with Poms.
There is the stereotype of the whinging pom complete with socks and sadlas complaining endlessly about everything as a a converstion point.
That said it is really a non-issue that should we come acrioss such a person we roll our eyes and nod at each other much like the dumb blonde stereotype.
That said, Poms do fine. My two best friends are Poms. The heat knocks shit out of my mate. I find it too cold here. While I am zipping my jacket yo she is getting around in a short sleeve shirt and dress.
Ok,  yeah sounds about right.   It's hard to imagine a life in Australia or America,  but i think they both are popular places that people here dream of.  The one thing that puzzles me is do you have the equivalent of 'council estates',  we see on TV the American version a lot,  like the 'ghetto's'  but i have never seen on TV where poor Australians live.

Yes not really. Yes we have poor areas in the Suburban sprawl. that is mainly governement built houses in an area with maybe dying lawns and car bodies on the verge and such but the houses and blocks are not small. Again there are units which are dotted here and there but not tending to be all together.

If you go inland you will come actoss remote aboriginal communities and these are really 3rd world.
The plight of Aboriginals is really sad here. Not like that of black African Americans but very synomous with the Native Americans. The problem of course is are virtually destroying a culture and neither wiping them out or assimilating them into your own , what is left? There is nothing we as a society can do to pick up the pieces or make things right. Money? nope. Land? Nope. Leave them shattered culturally and let them fend for themselves? Nope.
It is morally reprehensible what was done to them and I really do not think that anything that could have been done generations ago could work now. it is sad.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #272 on: April 08, 2012, 02:06:13 AM »
Do you get into the outback, then?
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #273 on: April 08, 2012, 04:02:27 AM »
No mate. I don't get into the outback. I prefer luscious coastal areas to rugged flybown desert.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

P7PSP

« Reply #274 on: April 08, 2012, 04:04:17 AM »
What about mountains? Do you like getting up in the mountains?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2012, 04:16:36 AM »
What about mountains? Do you like getting up in the mountains?

Been up in mountains. In fact Canberra is on a plateau many metres above sea level at the foot of the Brindabellas.

Never really been a hiker. I know this sounds lame but I have never really appreciated or understood hiking or climb. I have always considered the getting somewhere by walking or climbing for ages to be completely overrated. Nothing wrong in theory with a trek but no point doing this (in my mind) for the joy of getting there especially if there are others means.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2012, 09:17:20 AM »
How about driving, then?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #277 on: April 08, 2012, 09:29:13 AM »
How about driving, then?

How about driving? Sure i drive. I have a drivers licence. over 20 years.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #278 on: April 08, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
Speaking of whiny imports, how do you Aussies feel about Americans Down Under?
 As tourists, and as residents, how do we stack up?  :orly:

I ask because I want to believe we Americans are beloved wherever we go.  :tard:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #279 on: April 08, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
Anything else of note in Canberra, particularly?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #280 on: April 08, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »
Speaking of whiny imports, how do you Aussies feel about Americans Down Under?
 As tourists, and as residents, how do we stack up?  :orly:

I ask because I want to believe we Americans are beloved wherever we go.  :tard:

Oh sorry missed this.

I would have to say that to be perfectly honest, they are not the most loved nation nor the most commended citizens. It doesn't mean an American will have stones thrown at them nor will they be singled out for "special attention". There is a view though that Americans are self-styled world police, overly patronic and ignorant of other cultures and a little bit boorish and overly self-important.

That said I think Aussies are reasonably tolerant. We are a bastard nation and comprised of many people. So you see like a blonde doing something ditzy and everyone rolling their eyes and thinking "Oh this blonde is one of those dumb blondes" or a Pom whining and then they roll their eyes and thinking "Oh this is one of those whinging Pommy bastards", the same would be with an American.

How will PPK go here? I think he will bloody love it! Why because he is not coming over here to see America and I don't think he will be coming over here with an attitude to suggest it. People will show genuine interest in him and warm to him if he is not seeking such. They will not judge automatically. They may ask where he is from and how does he ,llike it here and if he is not seeking to promote US over australia and show a deligt at being in a new place with new experiences and such, they will be very well and genuine disposed to him and not categorise him with a stereotype which might be a little unfair. They would also feel proud of their country and what it has to offer others.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #281 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:45 AM »
Anything else of note in Canberra, particularly?

Canberra is a shitty place to live BUT it is a city uniquely designed and with great landmarks and history. It has a lot to offer the sightseeker and/or tourist. To live here is expensive and the weather comparitive to WA is crappy :P

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #282 on: April 08, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »
how do you feel about US troops being stationed in Australia

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #283 on: April 08, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
Must be plenty around, it's the capital city?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #284 on: April 08, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
how do you feel about US troops being stationed in Australia

I am ambivalent to be honest.
I see no reason not to have cordial relationships and perhaps an exchange or whatever. I do not think that it should be on basis of doing us a favour by them being here but i do not think there is the suggestion that this is the case and furthermoire i undertsand entirely if they are needed or wanted to be deployed elsewhere