Author Topic: Anything you want to know about Sir Les?  (Read 19289 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Anything you want to know about Sir Les?
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2011, 05:51:10 AM »
I want to know why australians are all smart arses. Is it becaus eyou hate your accents?

It is a cultural thing.

:google: Larrikinism.
I did google that and it clarified a couple of points for me. One Aussie that I worked with years ago would respond to my jibes about his accent with a horrendous yank accent that was definitely derived from John Wayne.  :LOL: I have a pretty good idea which side of the Larrikin - Wowser nexus you land. When you are taking the piss with yanks is your American accent John Wayne derived?

Spot on. I had not really thought about it before, but yeah.
I think that part of the thing about Larrikinism is that we celebrate taking the piss. We don't want to be taking things too seriously and want to laugh at ourselves. We don't mind others doing the same but we don't want to be seen as complete fuckwits. Dividing line is rather small. :P
Fine line between a jester and a fool.
Being able to joke with friends without someone being a pussy is important.

Yup you know something is pretty fucking bad when it is not able to be joked about. Conversely if you are going to get offended over trivial shit you only ask for a further lend.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2011, 06:02:01 AM »
I'm guessing you enjoy reading books (philosophical, historical, psychological). Am I mistaken? And if true, what are some of the books you've enjoyed reading.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2011, 06:53:18 AM »
I'm guessing you enjoy reading books (philosophical, historical, psychological). Am I mistaken? And if true, what are some of the books you've enjoyed reading.

Actually I was a weird kid. As a child I would spend hours reading encyclopedias. I was terribly dyslexic. I still am dyslexic and did terribly at school and left it barely able to write properly. Lot of stuff in there but my ability to convey what was in there was very diminished. I wrote slowly and laboriously and my syntax, grammar, punctuation and spelling was appalling.
Still that did not matter. What I thought was important was learning and I COULD read. Money earned in an after hours job gave me enough money to pay for tutoring to pass the weaker subjects to get me through year 11. I started working. A few subjects at night school in legal studies got me (without the pressure of performance) to learn to write properly and so on.
I still have a quest for learning. I have studied Philosophy and Ancient History at University.
I do still read article upon article whenever I can on anything remotely interesting on the internet or at libraries but book reading generally is not something that I do a lot of.
Probably the best reading book I have read recently is The Holy Blood and Holy Grail,
Whilst this was lambasted as a fraud and what have you, the history that in the text and the many of the integral points in the book are far from fraudulent. Best it has proved is that there was a guy trying to falsely connect himself to Jesus by bloodline and that he did forge some documents. Whilst everyone waves the proof around saying that this proves everything in the book was bogus, it is simply not so.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2011, 11:28:48 PM »
Next question:

What makes you so good at kicking ass?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 05:07:20 AM »
Next question:

What makes you so good at kicking ass?

Thanks mate. I dunno if I am so good at it.
I think that I am just comfortable in who and what I am and not. I take pride in being what I am. I think I have got to an age and place in my life that I just consider what I have and who I am is me. I know i am honest and don't try to build on lies I can not support.
I am not scared or intimidated by people on the internet. It is not like they are going to ruin my life IRL. So why should i care?
In the meantime there is a bucket load of things to be learned and experienced on the internet and fun too.
I like to make my own fun and be my own person and it is working out alright for me so far :P

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 06:03:13 AM »
Do you think Amy Nelson would prefer a stick of dynamite , or a Box of cyanide as a present?  :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2011, 06:38:17 AM »
Do you think Amy Nelson would prefer a stick of dynamite , or a Box of cyanide as a present?  :zoinks:

So and lingering as to quick and violent? Easy choice  >:D

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »

Ooh didn't think of that  :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2011, 08:45:23 AM »

Ooh didn't think of that  :zoinks:

I did...at great legnth

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »

Is "Pom" reserved for the English, or does it apply to Americans as well?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2011, 04:26:50 AM »

Is "Pom" reserved for the English, or does it apply to Americans as well?

No "Pom" or "Pommy" is purely for The British. If phrased correctly it is the English only.

The Americans get called Yanks. (Derived from Yankee)
Unfortunately when it comes to rhyming slang becomes "Yank" = "Septic Tank" or simply the derivative "Seppo"
Yank and Pom are not seen as insulting but calling the Americans Seppos is normally designed for use when been disparaging whereas Yank is just an offhand or shortcut to saying Americans or US Citizens or whatever.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2011, 08:19:54 PM »

Aussies use rhyming slang as well? I had never heard of it until a couple weeks ago.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »

Aussies use rhyming slang as well? I had never heard of it until a couple weeks ago.

Yes it emigrated with the Cockney convicts and is not as common as all that but we have an awareness of it and the more country you go and the older generation the more prevalent.  :laugh:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
Any collections?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2011, 07:41:09 AM »
No, I guess any thought to collections was washed away with the financial difficulties that I have only recently rid myself off. I am building a collection of Conan books though. Love reading them for a bit of escapism.