Author Topic: Anything you want to know about Sir Les?  (Read 19307 times)

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Anything you want to know about Sir Les?
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2009, 05:52:42 AM »

Winter Olympics may be good for the occasional "Bradbury moment" but barring that....

I sure hope we continue to get Bradbury moments. He may have won his medal by good luck and the mistakes of others. But the sheer fact that he was competing at such a high level in his sport is proof that he is no mug.

Unfortunately whilst we cheer and embrace Bazza MacKenzie, Dame Edna Everidge, Sir Les Patterson and Crocodile Dundee for the aspects of "real Australians" they portray there is also the risk of them being seen without the biased and "Ocker filters" as uncouth idiotic slobs. So we are caught in a difficult position. A love/hate relationship and polarised perspectives that exist in the same cultural identities.

Does that make any sense?  :P

Yes, it's like a family-loyalty thing where you might tease and torment your brother at home, but if anyone else dares start in on him, they're in for a blue.

Aussie ancestors were captured by British authorities and for generally minor misdemeanors (performed in an effort to survive in a country that could not and would not elevate their dire social or financial standing) shipped them off to an inhospitable as punishment. To toil to the rest of their days and die. It was supposed to be the greatest punishment.

What happened was these tough and resourceful bastards did the unthinkable. They found a home. They served their time and with true frontier mentality found a land of opportunities that did not exist for them back home. Their peer's descendants back home may have be doomed to a lack of vocational or social choice but the descendants of those unwanting immigrants became whatever they could be because there was no bar to anything because your father or grandfather was a prisoner (whose wasn't). The values and humour developed and we found beauty in this land. Hell we don't care if we have the nastiest spiders and snakes and sharks and crocodile because we have beaches and countryside and wide open spaces.

They sent us off to die and we lived and lived well and continue to prosper. Stuck with what we have? Sort of. :P Proud? Hell yeah!

A few years ago, I went to visit the ruins of the old prison barracks at Port Arthur, Tasmania. Unbelievable that children of 14 could be sent away for things like stealing a hanky from someone's pocket. But as you say, it suited the British authorities to rid themselves of an entire stratum of society that was no longer economically useful.

For me, one of the best things about this country is the "have a go" mentality: Never assume that you can't do something just because you've never done it before. Have a lash at it, and if it succeeds, great; and even if it doesn't, at least you've made the effort. This is so much better than giving in to hopelessness simply because of your social origins or your financial status.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »
Right on every point as far as I make it  :green:

The fair go attitude too goes hand in hand with the larrikinism. If they can take a bit of stick and give it back they are "all right".
We had an interesting group start in training. An Irish guy, a Somalian Muslim, A gay guy, one girl and another couple of nondescripts and me (on the spectrum). It was funny from the outset we needled each other in different ways and laughed and teased and all got on famously.
The girl putting up with us being deliberately misogynistic and returning fire well. The black guy being teased about his skin colour and religion and making fun of us, Irish jokes and gay jokes in excess. It was bonding because we all understood the intent. Had there have been an issue it would have toned down dramatically and would have left it very reserved and cordial between us.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »

For me, one of the best things about this country is the "have a go" mentality: Never assume that you can't do something just because you've never done it before. Have a lash at it, and if it succeeds, great; and even if it doesn't, at least you've made the effort. This is so much better than giving in to hopelessness simply because of your social origins or your financial status.

That's one thing I've always admired about you Kangaroos.   ;D

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »
'ave a go ya mug. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2011, 09:52:27 AM »
December 28, 2009, 06:51:54 PM » Last reply...................... Man of mystery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
Who and where is Mark Winter?  :orly:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »

Mark Winter was a moderator who banned a dipshit from AFF that you will remember fondly called Lucy. She joined AFF around the same time as another member from there called Woman From Mars. Lucy was convinced that WFM was Mark Winter. To that end she eventually enlisted some sap to call WFM.

WFM wasn't. I set up a troll account called Warkminter and started trolling Lucy.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »

Mark Winter was a moderator who banned a dipshit from AFF that you will remember fondly called Lucy. She joined AFF around the same time as another member from there called Woman From Mars. Lucy was convinced that WFM was Mark Winter. To that end she eventually enlisted some sap to call WFM.

WFM wasn't. I set up a troll account called Warkminter and started trolling Lucy.

Mark Winter was on WP? Because I know we didn't have anyone on AFF by that name.   :orly:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2011, 07:23:03 AM »

Oh heck , I thought YOU were Mark Winter  :facepalm2:

And yes I remember the little darling Lucie , I wonder if she'd fair better here than AFF.  :eyelash: :zoinks:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2011, 07:35:31 AM »

And yes I remember the little darling Lucie , I wonder if she'd fair better here than AFF.  :eyelash: :zoinks:

Well have a look on the membership list for a poster called "Bob". This is Lucy and no between me and TCO and a bit of support from others such as Pea, she got ....well she is not here anymore and I think it hurts her now to sit down :P

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2011, 07:56:09 AM »

Well have a look on the membership list for a poster called "Bob". This is Lucy and no between me and TCO and a bit of support from others such as Pea, she got ....well she is not here anymore and I think it hurts her now to sit down :P

:lol:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »

No mate. WFM and Lucy came from the same forum that Mark Winter moderated on and on THAT forum he banned Lucy for being ...well Lucy. When they both came to AFF Lucy was convinced that WFM was Mark Winter.

Mark Winter was on WP? Because I know we didn't have anyone on AFF by that name.   :orly:

P7PSP

« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »
I want to know why australians are all smart arses. Is it becaus eyou hate your accents?

It is a cultural thing.

:google: Larrikinism.
I did google that and it clarified a couple of points for me. One Aussie that I worked with years ago would respond to my jibes about his accent with a horrendous yank accent that was definitely derived from John Wayne.  :LOL: I have a pretty good idea which side of the Larrikin - Wowser nexus you land. When you are taking the piss with yanks is your American accent John Wayne derived?

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2011, 05:12:43 AM »
I want to know why australians are all smart arses. Is it becaus eyou hate your accents?

It is a cultural thing.

I did google that and it clarified a couple of points for me. One Aussie that I worked with years ago would respond to my jibes about his accent with a horrendous yank accent that was definitely derived from John Wayne.  :LOL: I have a pretty good idea which side of the Larrikin - Wowser nexus you land. When you are taking the piss with yanks is your American accent John Wayne derived?

Spot on. I had not really thought about it before, but yeah.
I think that part of the thing about Larrikinism is that we celebrate taking the piss. We don't want to be taking things too seriously and want to laugh at ourselves. We don't mind others doing the same but we don't want to be seen as complete fuckwits. Dividing line is rather small. :P
Fine line between a jester and a fool.

P7PSP

« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2011, 11:54:13 PM »

It is a cultural thing.

Spot on. I had not really thought about it before, but yeah.
I think that part of the thing about Larrikinism is that we celebrate taking the piss. We don't want to be taking things too seriously and want to laugh at ourselves. We don't mind others doing the same but we don't want to be seen as complete fuckwits. Dividing line is rather small. :P
Fine line between a jester and a fool.
Being able to joke with friends without someone being a pussy is important.