Educational

Author Topic: It's Friday night and everything's alright  (Read 3290 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: It's Friday night and everything's alright
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2017, 02:12:44 PM »
It's Friday night and I'm all alone on this site.

CBC, where are you? Kerb crawling again? Hoping to find a Walther lookalike for the weekend?
Phoenix, shouldn't you take a break from packing, just to amuse me?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
Ahhhh, Fun with Matches has arrived. Let's start a bonfire in the pissing rain and have virtual drinks and virtualler chocolates.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »
It sounds like fun.

I agree this site has been sort of empty. I've been waiting for an important package from the US (cos they do lots of cool things and I still order from there every now and then) and it's stuck in customs. Apparently things can wait for weeks in customs, specifically in Coventry. The day before my package arrived in London, and now it's in Coventry. Yay.

Was looking up people who had challenged delivery companies for charging import tax and a fee by the courier on top (varies from £8 upwards, the fee alone). There was this awesome guy who happened to be autistic, and had a fighting spirit about him that I greatly admired. He managed to get the tax back along with the fee, challenging them that he was not VAT registered, therefore he was not legally required to pay. IOW, ParcelForce the courier was not VAT registered or something, and they force people to pay import tax still, just so they can charge them big admin fees. It's disgusting, really.

I usually manage to ask sellers to mark the value down (I don't give a crap about legality) and that works. But this seller I trusted to do that as they had before. So I might get charged, might not. Hoping for the latter.

Now, wasn't that entertaining? I do my research. Going to look into it some more tomorrow.

It isn't raining here, toasted marshmallows on a bonfire sure would be good though. What drinks do you have?
:dog:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »
Any drink you want. You name it and it will materialise right in front of you.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
Pouring rain now. The bonfire went out.
Great weather to spend in bed. So that's where I am now, listening to the rain.

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2017, 05:22:32 PM »
Holy unearthing a post from the past. I started this 8 years ago!!! :laugh: That was fun. We used to meet up every Friday for music and drinks and chats.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »
and it's stuck in customs. Apparently things can wait for weeks in customs, specifically in Coventry. The day before my package arrived in London, and now it's in Coventry. Yay.

Was looking up people who had challenged delivery companies for charging import tax and a fee by the courier on top (varies from £8 upwards, the fee alone). There was this awesome guy who happened to be autistic, and had a fighting spirit about him that I greatly admired. He managed to get the tax back along with the fee, challenging them that he was not VAT registered, therefore he was not legally required to pay. IOW, ParcelForce the courier was not VAT registered or something, and they force people to pay import tax still, just so they can charge them big admin fees. It's disgusting, really.

I usually manage to ask sellers to mark the value down (I don't give a crap about legality) and that works. But this seller I trusted to do that as they had before. So I might get charged, might not. Hoping for the latter.

Now, wasn't that entertaining? I do my research. Going to look into it some more tomorrow.

It isn't raining here, toasted marshmallows on a bonfire sure would be good though. What drinks do you have?

*Gets out her best vaping kit, and plonks herself down  down next to FunWith Matches*

You're in Coventry , now?

Me too. 

I used to work at Parcelforce, loading those big articulated trucks, occasionally unloading them,  or just shunting parcels from A to B by various means  in their humungous warehouse . It was heavy work and the company are -rightly- notorious for being slavedrivers.   So i'm not too unhappy that my working days are over  :)

And, yeah, I've got stung pretty badly , too, for import duty plus those other unbelievab;e  charges , on parcels that were held up at the customs office there. The worst is, you can't pay over the phone. You have to come in, pay in person, and collect your parcel.   So . you're not even getting the bloody thing deliverered for all that extra cash you're forkng out. Total swizz.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:10:13 PM by Walkie »

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2017, 07:43:34 PM »

It's raining here too. I smell like wet gopher.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2017, 02:59:48 AM »

It's raining here too. I smell like wet gopher.  :zoinks:
:lol1:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2017, 04:15:50 AM »
and it's stuck in customs. Apparently things can wait for weeks in customs, specifically in Coventry. The day before my package arrived in London, and now it's in Coventry. Yay.

*Gets out her best vaping kit, and plonks herself down  down next to FunWith Matches*

Me too. 

I used to work at Parcelforce, loading those big articulated trucks, occasionally unloading them,  or just shunting parcels from A to B by various means  in their humungous warehouse . It was heavy work and the company are -rightly- notorious for being slavedrivers.   So i'm not too unhappy that my working days are over  :)

And, yeah, I've got stung pretty badly , too, for import duty plus those other unbelievab;e  charges , on parcels that were held up at the customs office there. The worst is, you can't pay over the phone. You have to come in, pay in person, and collect your parcel.   So . you're not even getting the bloody thing deliverered for all that extra cash you're forkng out. Total swizz.

Oh no, I'm in a home county. My point was that it arrived from the US into London, much nearer me, and then was sent all the way to Coventry for effing customs.

I remember seeing that programme about multimillionaires where the owner of this parcel delivery company supposedly had no idea how bad it was for the worker delivering parcels and sorting them in this warehouse. He worked undercover in his own company at the bottom. He was fired after a day. Those programmes annoyed me, like of course those at the top don't realise how bad it is at the bottom.  >:( Yeh, right! Sucks that you had to do that kind of work.

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2017, 07:48:14 AM »

Me too. 

Oh no, I'm in a home county. My point was that it arrived from the US into London, much nearer me, and then was sent all the way to Coventry for effing customs.

I remember seeing that programme about multimillionaires where the owner of this parcel delivery company supposedly had no idea how bad it was for the worker delivering parcels and sorting them in this warehouse. He worked undercover in his own company at the bottom. He was fired after a day. Those programmes annoyed me, like of course those at the top don't realise how bad it is at the bottom.  >:( Yeh, right! Sucks that you had to do that kind of work.

To send someone to Coventry is an English idiom meaning to deliberately ostracise someone. Typically, this is done by not talking to them, avoiding someone's company, and generally pretending that they no longer exist. Victims are treated as though they are completely invisible and inaudible
Wikipedia

Looks like the definition needs updating to include parcels.  :green:
I suppose that we'd better find somewhere else to chat now.  it's no longer Friday night, not anywhere in the word, and the party is well and truly over *sigh*

Actually i was just looking for any  old post of yours, so in could thank you for returning Jack's karma  to zero for me. Dunno if you noticed, but i was the idiot who forgot  she hates positive  karma and plussed her  . That's happened a few times now.  She's gonnna start think i'm deliberately getting on her nerves, isn't she?  :hide: But I 'm just forgetful, that's all.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2017, 08:47:28 AM »
I have been busy.

Trying to paint the ancient drop ceiling in the laundry room.

Black.

"I see a ceiling and I want it painted black..."

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2017, 09:09:32 AM »
To send someone to Coventry is an English idiom meaning to deliberately ostracise someone. Typically, this is done by not talking to them, avoiding someone's company, and generally pretending that they no longer exist. Victims are treated as though they are completely invisible and inaudible
Wikipedia

Looks like the definition needs updating to include parcels.  :green:
I suppose that we'd better find somewhere else to chat now.  it's no longer Friday night, not anywhere in the word, and the party is well and truly over *sigh*

Actually i was just looking for any  old post of yours, so in could thank you for returning Jack's karma  to zero for me. Dunno if you noticed, but i was the idiot who forgot  she hates positive  karma and plussed her  . That's happened a few times now.  She's gonnna start think i'm deliberately getting on her nerves, isn't she?  :hide: But I 'm just forgetful, that's all.

Ha! I learnt something new today, thanks. So I guess it's just a synonym in sentence form for giving someone the silent treatment.

Oh, no worries about the karma. Maybe use this post? I just figured it out because others do the same. I wonder why Jack doesn't like it. I assume she does not like negative karma either, just wants a balance of 0.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 09:12:30 AM by Fun with matches »

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
I have been busy.

Trying to paint the ancient drop ceiling in the laundry room.

Black.

"I see a ceiling and I want it painted black..."

I can't imagine having a black ceiling. I wouldn't like it. :zombiefuck:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
I wonder why Jack doesn't like it.
It's not really about the number, but yes zero is important, because if karma should happen, returning it to zero makes it less likely for me to know it. Not really sure why those creepy little karma messages twist me up; they just do. There's also some weird intolerable pressure of the karma system; should I give them karma back, how little is too little for someone else, how much is too much, and what does this mean to them? There's the option to be karma free here, keeping a member at zero. Tried that once long ago, but then realized it's based on maxing out both my negative and positive karma with admin action. This action put me as top ranking in both negative and positive karma stats for the board and some members didn't like that, so I stopped being karma free and members are kind enough to keep me that way. SG called it mutual love.
http://www.intensitysquared.com/index.php/topic,22719.0.html