Educational

Author Topic: You stupid Texans  (Read 705 times)

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
Re: You stupid Texans
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 07:00:42 PM »
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
I do actually think the guy deserved the death penalty (although in theory I don't support it) but just the fact that they used the Bible to decide on it is plain wrong.

I think that there was no question of Oliver's guilt and he kept bludgeoning the elderly man to death before he robbed his house, so I won't shed a tear when he is executed.  I don't really care whether the jurors consulted a Bible, a Koran, or a Ouija board to decide to put an unquestionably gulity murderer to death.

What gives me problems with capital punishment is the possibility that an innocent person may be executed.  It's possible that Cameron Todd Willingham was innocent even though he was executed.  He was convicted of setting a fire in his home that killed his three young children.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/09/07/090907fa_fact_grann?currentPage=all

In 2000, after thirteen people on death row in Illinois were exonerated, George Ryan, who was then governor of the state, suspended the death penalty. Though he had been a longtime advocate of capital punishment, he declared that he could no longer support a system that has “come so close to the ultimate nightmare—the state’s taking of innocent life.” Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor has said that the “execution of a legally and factually innocent person would be a constitutionally intolerable event.”

Blasted

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
That's why I do not support the death penalty for the most part.

However, it IS wrong for a jury to consult a piece of fiction in order to judge whether to kill a human being.  They went through the bible and highlighted anything which sounded relevant to them.  That's just like me picking up a random book off my bookshelf in order to see what I should do today, opening it on any page, seeing the words "and then he jumped off the bridge" and deciding to do so just cause the book tells me to.

Have these people got no minds or morals of their own?  It's fucking pathetic.

Scrapheap

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
Have these people got no minds or morals of their own?  It's fucking pathetic.

No, they're the sheep in Orwell's Animal Farm.

FOUR LEGS GOOD!!
TWO LEGS BAD!!

Scrapheap

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »
Oooh, I almost forgot this one... ahem:

Here I sit, my cheeks a flexin', Giving birth to another Texan!

Blasted

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 12:04:40 AM »
 :lol:

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 12:48:11 AM »
This is why I don't get a lot of Muslims or Christians, they want the law changed for *them* but in reality it's unneeded. If anything, they should be completely separated from the state. With a completely secular state, they can still practice their religion without restriction or judgement at the privacy their own homes. Shouldn't that be enough for them, rather than making the government endorse them to make churches and various privileges?

If they don't like it, tough shit. I'm sick of people pandering to these whingy twats. The special treatment is completely unnecessary.

And you live somewhere with a blasphemy law  wtf happened to get that passed

The Irish being Irish. Drunk, Catholic and fucking annoying.

Just like the Polski nation.

Even with the annoying over-religious grannies. :zoinks:

I'm indifferent about the death penalty, although it does free up prison cells and probably saves money.

Offline matthe

• gifted asshole
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • quit fucking with my dogs equilibrium yo
feix ma spellan. ai nide halp. coz i caent duet.