Author Topic: Ask ME! (Esme) anything and I (unlike others on here) WILL answer  (Read 22594 times)

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
Re: Ask ME! (Esme) anything and I (unlike others on here) WILL answer
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2006, 10:19:06 AM »
I've been on Aspie Hangout, a Delphi forum in the past but found it had an overwhelmingly American
bias and found I wasn't really being listened to (save the snide remarks! lol)

Esme

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2006, 10:23:31 AM »
I'll agree with you there MCjagger - but I just find it really odd that people with AS should suddenly start
apeing the worst NT behaviour once they start forming social groups, even on a discussion board
- surely we're better than that?!

Is NT behaviour inseparable from social behaviour ie one and the same thing?

Esme   ::)

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2006, 10:29:11 AM »
I don't think the behaviour you are talking about is NT behaviour though, I think its how people in general behave.  I don't believe that people with AS are superior to the rest of society and so above certain types of behaviour.   I think you are always going to get people taking the piss or being more forceful in their arguments with others online simply because its so far removed from real life- people have a web persona and a lot of the time its hard to get past this and see the real person behind it, so people behave differently than they would in a real life situation.  Alsobecause of the limited range of ways of communicating online people can also read messages differently-  i.e. see a light-hearted joke as a nasty attack.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »
I see what you mean

I had just formed the opinin over my considerable 40 years (ho yes!) on this planet,
that the worst forms of nasty behaviour tended to be of the Neurotypcial kind

It is like an animal instinct and the extent to which a person displays it is, to me, an indication
of the extent to which they are closer to the NT camp than the AS

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2006, 10:43:28 AM »
I don't think the behaviour you are talking about is NT behaviour though, I think its how people in general behave.  I don't believe that people with AS are superior to the rest of society and so above certain types of behaviour.   I think you are always going to get people taking the piss or being more forceful in their arguments with others online simply because its so far removed from real life- people have a web persona and a lot of the time its hard to get past this and see the real person behind it, so people behave differently than they would in a real life situation.  Alsobecause of the limited range of ways of communicating online people can also read messages differently-  i.e. see a light-hearted joke as a nasty attack.
this is a perfect example.
i am not sure if any two people have gotten as frustrated with each other as PI and myself.  we have argued bitterly and not seen eye to eye several times.
but, i am not sure if there is another member of this board that i respect more.  

it may seem like bullying.  but what we are really doing is sharing ideas.  and sometimes ramming them down each others throats.

esme, you say that you are too sensitive for this board.  well that would have to be a judgement that you make for yourself.  
but let me state my own personal experience:
once again i will use Purposeful Insanity.  no one has made me feel more insecure about myself than she has.  i don't know why.  others have definately gotten the better of me (everybody but peagai, actually ;)), but i am always interested whenever she makes a post.  even more interested when she challenges me.  even more so when she makes me look like a jerk.
why?
because i learn about myself that way.  and as i side benefit i learn about others as well.  i get out from under my theory of mind issues, and see the worlds views from anothers eyes.
I would not learn a thing if i lived my life under comfortable surroundings.  a place where i preferred to have kind people coddle my sorry arse.  a place where people tell me what i want to hear and do not challenge me with all they have.  a place that is censored and people must act under certain rules.

my phrase of the day is: Fuck That Shit!
i want to learn, i want to experience what others see.  and i want the truth.
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #125 on: August 31, 2006, 10:46:56 AM »
Are you American?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #126 on: August 31, 2006, 10:48:06 AM »
yes, why?
Misunderstood.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2006, 10:50:38 AM »
I can just tell

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2006, 10:51:13 AM »
how?
Misunderstood.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2006, 10:53:34 AM »
whenever I meet an american I always picture them as weighing 300 pounds, wearing a cowboy hat, chomping a burger while periodically firing a revolver into the air and shouting "ye har!"    Although I consider that if I ever met an American in real life they may not all fit this picture.

duncvis

« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »
I see what you mean

I had just formed the opinin over my considerable 40 years (ho yes!) on this planet,
that the worst forms of nasty behaviour tended to be of the Neurotypcial kind

It is like an animal instinct and the extent to which a person displays it is, to me, an indication
of the extent to which they are closer to the NT camp than the AS

I can't agree. Some of the most genuine, warm, generous of spirit, kind people I know, both IRL and online, are NT. Some of the biggest arseholes are aspies.

Stereotyping by neurology sucks balls, its lazy and leads to bigotry IMO.

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
Its a certain style and use of language

Slightly grandiose

You remind me a bit of a poster on Aspie Hangout - he changes his name a lot

He's always talking about improving himself and trying to stop the Aspie naive 'glow'
that gives us away

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2006, 10:57:55 AM »
whenever I meet an american I always picture them as weighing 300 pounds, wearing a cowboy hat, chomping a burger while periodically firing a revolver into the air and shouting "ye har!"    Although I consider that if I ever met an American in real life they may not all fit this picture.

then i suppose that we will have a showdown at noon in front of ye olde saloon.
i am gonna jessy james your arse and then whip out my banjo and play the music from deliverance. :o
Misunderstood.

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2006, 11:00:01 AM »

then i suppose that we will have a showdown at noon in front of ye olde saloon.
i am gonna jessy james your arse and then whip out my banjo and play the music from deliverance. :o

I kmew you yanks were planning something like that!   So I was right to be paranoid!    :o :o :o

Offline esme456

• Incessant Poster
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2006, 11:01:47 AM »
Hmmmm OK I take your point

It's a self-defence mechanism I use as the average NT can run rings round me and I don't like it

They often veer between outright bullying and abuse and pat pat on the head patronisation
- I rarely ever feel they see me as an Equal!

They tolerate me rather than actively seeking my company in other words