Educational

Author Topic: Ask CG anything  (Read 8716 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Re: Ask CG anything
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2009, 02:49:38 AM »
Right on.  :thumbup:
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2009, 06:26:28 AM »
"What if a duck...?"
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2009, 11:17:18 AM »

So how long did you live in the States? Why did you move back to Toronto?

Celticgoddess

« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
'94-'99. I moved back to get married. I always wanted to come back to Canada anyway though and raise my kids here. At the time I was living in a small rural town in Georgia and I really wasn't happy there. It was too conservative and too backwards. Coming from toronto, I grew up very liberal  and the racial divide and homophobia was too much. Nearly got my ass kicked more times than I could count for being so outspoken. Where I lived, the value of your house would actually go down if a black family moved in close by. It was ridiculous.

Plus, I missed the snow :green:

My parents are still down there but they moved to a different town and they're much happier.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
have you ever been to england?

does your cat have any disorders or mental illnesses?
(flo has agoraphobia and social anxiety disorder, she may also be aspie)

Celticgoddess

« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2009, 03:27:02 PM »
have you ever been to england?

does your cat have any disorders or mental illnesses?
(flo has agoraphobia and social anxiety disorder, she may also be aspie)

I've never been to England but I do have extended family there that I've never met. It's on my bucket list of places I must go to.

Destiny has an issue with her liver and a social anxiety disorder. Most people who come to the house think we only have one cat because they've never seen her. Harley has issues with recognizing boundaries and personal space :P

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »

Do you use the Montessori method when homeschooling your oldest?

Celticgoddess

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2009, 11:49:15 AM »

Excellent question 8) I do. It's about child based learning so I take something he's interested in and I build in our lessons around that topic. For example, his Aspie obsession is programming and  video games. So we're doing a unit on the history of Nintendo. Since we're studying Nintendo, I incorporate Japan, throw in some language lessons thanks to a Japanese friend of mine and we've got a field trip planned to Little Japan downtown. Since we're going downtown, he has to plan the route of how we get there, the cost of public transportation, figuring out subway/bus routes. We'll have lunch at a traditional Japanese restaurant etc. So really when you take one idea/topic, there is so much that you can build around it to fill it out and cover the things he needs to learn. I try to make everything as concrete and tangible as I can because it makes it easier for him to remember what he's learning. A lot of times, it doesn't even appear that we're "teaching" but he learning so much and actually retaining it.

Since I do use Montessori, it also means teaching care of self, care of envirornment that you live in , and care of community. It's very grass roots, hands on. I find it works well. :)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:49 PM »

Excellent question 8) I do. It's about child based learning so I take something he's interested in and I build in our lessons around that topic. For example, his Aspie obsession is programming and  video games. So we're doing a unit on the history of Nintendo. Since we're studying Nintendo, I incorporate Japan, throw in some language lessons thanks to a Japanese friend of mine and we've got a field trip planned to Little Japan downtown. Since we're going downtown, he has to plan the route of how we get there, the cost of public transportation, figuring out subway/bus routes. We'll have lunch at a traditional Japanese restaurant etc. So really when you take one idea/topic, there is so much that you can build around it to fill it out and cover the things he needs to learn. I try to make everything as concrete and tangible as I can because it makes it easier for him to remember what he's learning. A lot of times, it doesn't even appear that we're "teaching" but he learning so much and actually retaining it.

Since I do use Montessori, it also means teaching care of self, care of envirornment that you live in , and care of community. It's very grass roots, hands on. I find it works well. :)

Works so well, they are partly using it in the school of my girls.

Do you have some schooling resources for the material you use for him? Or do you have to find it all by yourself?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2009, 06:17:32 PM »
do u remember this guy? and did he turn u on as much as i think he did? :chin:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Celticgoddess

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
FarmerJim rocked me in the barn many a time.  :orly:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2009, 06:59:18 AM »
Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all??
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Blasted

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
Do you have many weird moments at work such as the one where you had an awesome secret mission with the FBI?

Celticgoddess

« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2009, 02:49:01 PM »
Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all??

To the beach I suppose. But it's hard to convince them to leave their uniform at home. I think they wear it to bed too. They take the job quite seriously.

Do you have many weird moments at work such as the one where you had an awesome secret mission with the FBI?

I left that job in '98 but we did have a lot of interesting moments. The place where I worked was in close proximity to a slums area so we would get a lot of gangbangers wanting to come in and apply for food service positions. We could recognize them right away so while we did the interview we would call the police who would wait out back for the kid to leave and sure enough he would go and pick up his gun that he would place in the garbage can at the back of the building before coming in to fill out an application. So the cops would wait until he'd retrieve the gun, and then arrest him. It never failed. I have no idea why every single one of these kids thought they were being original. :laugh:

And don't get me started on some of the clothing attire. I have seen more ugly exposed vag's on girls wearing short skirts, and no panties, and thinking it's worth showing. Awful. Awful. Awful.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2009, 01:31:35 PM »

What kinds of cars did your dad transport? Does he still do that?