Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84377 times)

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2007, 11:57:03 PM »
That's the thing...70 degrees kills the germs...
Catch 22.
I was incorrect on that one...

So, what is the correct temperature?
I haven't googled it yet, but I know for example when I reheat things they are supposed to come to boiling point and simmer for 10 minutes. 

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2007, 11:59:46 PM »
I'm actually googling it now...I'm thinking that slow cooking at the 60 degrees may be ok.

Scrapheap

« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2007, 12:01:09 AM »
I'm actually googling it now...I'm thinking that slow cooking at the 60 degrees may be ok.

Are you talking Celcius or Farenheiht ??

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2007, 12:03:17 AM »
She is talking Celsius, Scrapheap.

I read that beef should be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 71 degrees Celsius to kill microorganisms.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2007, 12:06:23 AM »

I read that beef should be cooked to 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 71 degrees Celsius to kill microorganisms.
Yes...then I started thinking about cured meats....I've never really looked into that either....just eat them.  Although a little girl in Australia died about 15 years ago after eating salami so it is a bit daunting...

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2007, 12:08:53 AM »

Yes...then I started thinking about cured meats....I've never really looked into that either....just eat them.  Although a little girl in Australia died about 15 years ago after eating salami so it is a bit daunting...

Cured meats have high salt content and/or other preservatives, such as nitrites in them to retard bacterial growth.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2007, 12:11:57 AM »

Cured meats have high salt content and/or other preservatives, such as nitrites in them to retard bacterial growth.
yes, that's right sorry, see multi-tasking to google at the time...always makes me look dumb when I do two things at once.

Offline Eclair

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2007, 12:14:18 AM »
Slow cooker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Food safety
Slow cooker temperatures are lower than in most other cooking methods, and cooking times are correspondingly longer—typically 5–9 hours. Food must be heated to a temperature of at least 140°F (60°C) for safety; a properly functioning slow cooker must heat food to this temperature. As with any cooking method, cooked food must not be left at warm temperatures for long.

Frozen food should be defrosted before slow cooking. Defrosting should either be done at a low temperature to inhibit bacterial growth (i.e., in a refrigerator), or done quickly (i.e., in a microwave oven). Otherwise bacteria may multiply while the food is heating but has not yet attained a safe temperature to inhibit growth. Some bacteria produce toxins that remain in the food after the bacteria themselves are killed. Most, but not all, toxins are destroyed at high temperatures; the botulism toxin is one important exception, although the micro-organism which produces it is killed both by heat and oxygen.

Some foods contain toxins naturally. Many, but not all, of these are destroyed by cooking at slow cooker temperatures. However some legumes are toxic when cooked at slow cooker temperatures, especially kidney beans, and can cause food poisoning.[1] To avoid this problem, such ingredients should be boiled for 10 minutes beforehand.

Perpetual stews (pot au feu, olla podrida) should never be maintained in slow cookers, as slow cookers do not typically provide sufficient heat to compensate for frequent additions and removals of food; nor do they cook quickly enough to cook newly added food thoroughly before the next withdrawal becomes likely. This relatively slow recovery of temperature after an addition or withdrawal may cause safety problems. Removal of the lid lets heat and moisture escape, prolonging cooking time and giving microbes the chance to grow.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2007, 12:22:26 AM »
At 140° Fahrenheit, warming temperatures prevent growth but allow survival of some bacteria.

I have a Crock Pot, but I think even the lowest setting is above 140° Fahrenheit.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2007, 03:23:32 AM »

Are you talking Celcius or Farenheiht ??

60 degrees F would just make it rot,
over a long time.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2007, 03:26:02 AM »
Perpetual stews (pot au feu, olla podrida) should never be maintained in slow cookers, as slow cookers do not typically provide sufficient heat to compensate for frequent additions and removals of food; nor do they cook quickly enough to cook newly added food thoroughly before the next withdrawal becomes likely. This relatively slow recovery of temperature after an addition or withdrawal may cause safety problems. Removal of the lid lets heat and moisture escape, prolonging cooking time and giving microbes the chance to grow.

Wow, that would solve my shopping problem.
Where do you find such things?
Are they sold near the everlasting flasks of Guinness?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2007, 06:28:56 AM »
Callaway is one of the very few women I respect, here and in real life.

I could only respect Callaway IRL if i met her IRL. Online you have to respect her, but the cynic in me doesn't trust those who try to plat it too straight. It always makes you wonder what they're hiding.
it could mean that they are just a person who gives others respect, with an open mind.
who knows.
Misunderstood.

Scrapheap

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2007, 11:27:40 AM »

I could only respect Callaway IRL if i met her IRL. Online you have to respect her, but the cynic in me doesn't trust those who try to plat it too straight. It always makes you wonder what they're hiding.
it could mean that they are just a person who gives others respect, with an open mind.
who knows.

Every person that I met who was truely nice, was for the most part, stupid. Half the people that I've met who ACTED nice, were hiding their dark side. Callaway isn't stupid. I get the feeling she has a dark underside that she doesn't allow the world to see.

Litigious

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2007, 12:27:41 PM »

who knows.

Every person that I met who was truely nice, was for the most part, stupid. Half the people that I've met who ACTED nice, were hiding their dark side. Callaway isn't stupid. I get the feeling she has a dark underside that she doesn't allow the world to see.

Damnit. Now when you say it, it comes to my mind that that's my experience too. I'm a smart person myself, and I can act nicely, but to be quite honest: I am not "truly" nice.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2007, 12:49:25 PM »
What?  Did I hear secret and closet?

You fuckn closet gay!

I kid!

Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!