Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84459 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #3285 on: November 21, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
A lump of ice tea is fine. You just chisel a piece off.

Fermenting yams on the other hand, I'd go really easy on them.
It could have unpredictable effects, and as with drugs should
be taken a little at a time to see if they effect you strongly.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #3286 on: November 21, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it.

Good advice. No guess work. If it makes you puke later, then it's bad.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3287 on: January 12, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »
Alas! Still no Callaway. I had a whole sweet potato that fermented in its skin. It tasted fine but I decided not to take chances.

I do have a jar of fermented cabbage that I am thinking about tasting to see if it could be used on the next round of hot dogs. Not sure how long for sauerkraut. It's been in the refrigerator for about five months now and is nice and juicy. Should I wait longer? It's not quite the color of sauerkraut yet so I haven't tried it.

I found out that it takes a lot of abuse to make eggnog go bad. I left a quart of it out on the counter overnight and then put it in the refrigerator. It tasted fine so I am drinking it.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3288 on: January 12, 2015, 11:30:09 PM »
No, still no Callaway. :(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3289 on: January 13, 2015, 02:59:21 AM »
Alas! Still no Callaway. I had a whole sweet potato that fermented in its skin. It tasted fine but I decided not to take chances.

I do have a jar of fermented cabbage that I am thinking about tasting to see if it could be used on the next round of hot dogs. Not sure how long for sauerkraut. It's been in the refrigerator for about five months now and is nice and juicy. Should I wait longer? It's not quite the color of sauerkraut yet so I haven't tried it.

I found out that it takes a lot of abuse to make eggnog go bad. I left a quart of it out on the counter overnight and then put it in the refrigerator. It tasted fine so I am drinking it.

Making sauerkraut is on my to do wishlist. Did you use salt? Did you crush the cabbage? As long as the cabbage is standing under water, it should keep well for about a year. After six weeks of fermenting, it should be sauerkraut. If it stands warm enough three weeks might even be enough. If it is placed somewhere cold, it could take 8 weeks.
What I read about it, it is important to scoop of mold from the fluid on top of the sauerkraut to be a few times.
Over time the sauerkraut will get darker.

My kids both made sauerkraut in primary school.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3290 on: January 17, 2015, 10:56:35 AM »

Making sauerkraut is on my to do wishlist. Did you use salt? Did you crush the cabbage? As long as the cabbage is standing under water, it should keep well for about a year. After six weeks of fermenting, it should be sauerkraut. If it stands warm enough three weeks might even be enough. If it is placed somewhere cold, it could take 8 weeks.
What I read about it, it is important to scoop of mold from the fluid on top of the sauerkraut to be a few times.

Is it bad that there is no mold? I will look, but unless the mold is white there is none.
I didn't add anything to it. It made its own fluid. The cabbage was something called "angel hair" - very finely shredded. We use it to make pancit. It started this process in a plastic bag but I moved it to a glass jar to see what would happen so I don't know if any ingredients were added after they shredded it.
Should I add salt to it now? Based on your numbers I am sure that it is sauerkraut by now.

I am finishing the last of the eggnog that was left on the counter. I can't freeze any this year so I will either have to make my own or wait until October.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3291 on: January 17, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »

Is it bad that there is no mold? I will look, but unless the mold is white there is none.
I didn't add anything to it. It made its own fluid. The cabbage was something called "angel hair" - very finely shredded. We use it to make pancit. It started this process in a plastic bag but I moved it to a glass jar to see what would happen so I don't know if any ingredients were added after they shredded it.
Should I add salt to it now? Based on your numbers I am sure that it is sauerkraut by now.

I am finishing the last of the eggnog that was left on the counter. I can't freeze any this year so I will either have to make my own or wait until October.

In the recipes I saw for sauerkraut salt was added (10 to 15 grams per kilogram of shredded and crushed cabbage) to both extract the fluid, and to conserve. Together with the anaerobe fermenting the salt works for preservation. A weight is put on top, to prevent the cabbage from getting in contact with air.

The mold is not required. But can happen in the first few weeks, and that can be scooped off.

Read some more about sauerkraut. Want to make some with red cabbage soon. Will look so pretty.

In some recipes a bit of buttermilk is added to start the fermenting. And there are recipes with herbs, spices, apple or wine.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3292 on: January 24, 2015, 01:59:48 AM »
I might try it this weekend; since usually I only use it on some kind of sausage, it will be heated so hopefully any bugs will die.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3293 on: January 24, 2015, 03:59:47 AM »
One simple thing that I think is interesting, Callaway, is that it has been  almost two years since you were here and some of us are still talking  to you.

You left a large void when you left.

... and we do not know why.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:12:22 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3294 on: January 24, 2015, 04:00:47 AM »
One simple thing that I think is interesting, Callaway, is that it has been  almost two years since you were here and some of us are still talking  to you.

:(

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3295 on: January 24, 2015, 04:16:56 AM »

:(

Sorry, I tried to post an image of her sectioned profile info to demonstrate my point, but apparently my "accounts" at both image shack and tiny pic have expired, ffs.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #3296 on: February 11, 2015, 12:56:50 AM »
I am sad to find Callaway has gone. She was always so supportive of me, and kind in regards to my photography and poetry.
I am guessing no-one knew her real name to do any research ?

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3297 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:47 AM »

Oh! Absolutely. DD said it all.

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #3298 on: February 11, 2015, 04:08:47 PM »
I am sad to find Callaway has gone. She was always so supportive of me, and kind in regards to my photography and poetry.

Many of us here know her name, but not much comes up on google or other searches for her.

The good news is that she probably isn't dead because her name would be in the obituaries.

Offline Graelwyn

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
« Reply #3299 on: February 11, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »

Many of us here know her name, but not much comes up on google or other searches for her.

The good news is that she probably isn't dead because her name would be in the obituaries.

Yes, that is a good thing. Something would have come up under a search, I am sure, if she were deceased.
Wonder if she will ever come back.