Educational

Author Topic: Transgendered kids  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: Transgendered kids
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2009, 12:18:12 PM »
Being "trans" is yet another excuse for someone who can't handle life to avoid a few social rules and expectations.

Example? if anything, you need to handle even more to be yourself when trans, not use it as an excuse to hide from things

Check out how many people on the spectrum have decided not to have a gender and insist on being "xe". Its like reveling in being a misfit for no good reason, if anything just like anorexia, it is another form of attention seeking.

Asides, I think you should look up Dr Money to see the damage that this nonsense eventually causes.

Blasted

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
16 and 17 year olds often don't need to wear uniforms anyway

and uniforms are usually gender-specific, which is worse than bullying for a lot of trans people. forcing 16 year old guy into a skirt just because his birth certificate says Female can cause more problems emotionally than getting teased or bullied (which a lot of kids experience anyway - shall we dye the hair of ginger kids or make our geeky kids hide their interests/abilities?)

Perhaps in your country, but here is a different story. Most kids wear school uniforms from primary school (6yo average) to year 12 in high school (18yo average).

And their trans state is undecided until they are mature enough to make a rational decision about it. Plus I never said I'd outright deny any possibility of it towards them. They would just have to understand how the real world works.

And you have to remember that this is all based on me not having to deal with it reality-wise at the moment in my life if ever.

That's bollocks though.  Almost like the argument against homosexuality "wait till you're older so you can know for sure, it's probably just a stupid phase". 

In the UK people have to wear a uniform till they are 16, although some sixth forms also insist on them.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »

and uniforms are usually gender-specific, which is worse than bullying for a lot of trans people. forcing 16 year old guy into a skirt just because his birth certificate says Female can cause more problems emotionally than getting teased or bullied (which a lot of kids experience anyway - shall we dye the hair of ginger kids or make our geeky kids hide their interests/abilities?)

Did you have to wear a skirt in secondary school?

Phlexor that way you're teaching them to be ashamed of themselves and that they must hide who they truly are.

No, I'm teaching them that there is no good reason to open yourself up to attack.

As a parent, I set certain rules that my kids have to follow. At least I explain why to them. A lot of parents just say "just do as I say and don't question it".

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 12:21:52 PM »

Did you have to wear a skirt in secondary school?

Phlexor that way you're teaching them to be ashamed of themselves and that they must hide who they truly are.

agreed. giving in to bullies isn't the way forward. there are other ways of dealing with bullying than just hiding who you are. doing that just turns it into a big dirty secret and is almost like treating them as if they're just a transvestite, rather than accepting them as your son/daughter

and yeah my school had very strict uniform rules and was very old-fashioned about it. we couldn't even wear shorts for PE, had to wear a skirt for that too

It's healthy to keep certain parts of your life private. You don't always have to be an open book.

I'm not against it.

Blasted

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 12:24:33 PM »
It's not like they are hiding a kinky fetish  ::)  By not allowing them to express themselves fully and stifling an important part of their personality, you would be crippling them really.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 12:24:53 PM »
"keep certain parts of yourself private" is not the same as "pretend to be something you're not in every aspect of your life except when you're alone"

and being trans is not about attention-seeking. transvestites might sometimes do it for attention, like some drag queens. but actually being transgendered isn't. what trans people want 99% of the time is just to be able to blend into society as whatever gender they are. yeah i get a lot of dumb comments when people can't tell what sex i am, but i definitely don't ask for that and while i'm not offended by it, i also don't want it

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

Perhaps in your country, but here is a different story. Most kids wear school uniforms from primary school (6yo average) to year 12 in high school (18yo average).

And their trans state is undecided until they are mature enough to make a rational decision about it. Plus I never said I'd outright deny any possibility of it towards them. They would just have to understand how the real world works.

And you have to remember that this is all based on me not having to deal with it reality-wise at the moment in my life if ever.

That's bollocks though.  Almost like the argument against homosexuality "wait till you're older so you can know for sure, it's probably just a stupid phase". 

In the UK people have to wear a uniform till they are 16, although some sixth forms also insist on them.

Mainly because that can be true, it can be just a normal phase of teenage self discovery and experimentation. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had homosexual sex as a teenager. I know now as an adult that I'm not homosexual.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2009, 12:28:23 PM »

Mainly because that can be true, it can be just a normal phase of teenage self discovery and experimentation. I'm not ashamed to admit that I had homosexual sex as a teenager. I know now as an adult that I'm not homosexual.

so is it really that terrible that you fucked a guy but now realise you're straight?

and being attracted to someone of the same sex is normal for a straight person when they're still growing up. it's rare that a non-trans person will feel this strongly that they're transgendered though, to the point where they'll start living their life as another gender. so the chances of them suddenly thinking "hey, i'm a man after all!" aren't that big

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2009, 12:28:54 PM »
I'm not changing my mind on this. And as a parent, I never said I would never accept them.

Before having kids, I might have had the same opinion as you, but after, everything is different.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:18 PM »

so is it really that terrible that you fucked a guy but now realise you're straight?

and being attracted to someone of the same sex is normal for a straight person when they're still growing up. it's rare that a non-trans person will feel this strongly that they're transgendered though, to the point where they'll start living their life as another gender. so the chances of them suddenly thinking "hey, i'm a man after all!" aren't that big

I never said it was a terrible thing. If I had of broadcast that fact while in highschool, it would have been a big mistake. It was a private matter. Now as an adult there is no harm or risk in revealing it.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:35 PM »
"keep certain parts of yourself private" is not the same as "pretend to be something you're not in every aspect of your life except when you're alone"

and being trans is not about attention-seeking. transvestites might sometimes do it for attention, like some drag queens. but actually being transgendered isn't. what trans people want 99% of the time is just to be able to blend into society as whatever gender they are. yeah i get a lot of dumb comments when people can't tell what sex i am, but i definitely don't ask for that and while i'm not offended by it, i also don't want it
No, what they want is to change the social contract for themselves, like any other grouping which has decided they are special. Its ridiculous.

Blasted

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 12:32:01 PM »
^Maybe you would accept them but you wouldn't let them accept themselves.

Don't you understand though how degrading almost it can be for someone to dismiss such an important part of someone's self-discovery as a "stupid phase"?  I doubt most people who are transgender or gay just suddenly wake up one morning and decide to be either for the fun of it.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2009, 12:33:53 PM »

No, what they want is to change the social contract for themselves, like any other grouping which has decided they are special. Its ridiculous.

hmm... wrong. you think you know what transgendered people want more than someone who is trans themselves? we don't want to be special. we want the opposite, if anything. it's everyone else that treats me differently, not myself. i just see myself as any other person and would rather be treated as such.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2009, 12:37:23 PM »
^Maybe you would accept them but you wouldn't let them accept themselves.

Don't you understand though how degrading almost it can be for someone to dismiss such an important part of someone's self-discovery as a "stupid phase"?  I doubt most people who are transgender or gay just suddenly wake up one morning and decide to be either for the fun of it.

You're putting words into my mouth again. I never referred to it as a stupid phase.

This whole thing is typical of people who don't have any kids of their own.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »
i might not have my own children, but i am transgendered and hav experienced this myself