Author Topic: Things I am doing in my life right now  (Read 6082 times)

Teejay

Things I am doing in my life right now
« on: August 25, 2006, 01:41:20 AM »
I am doing some strange things lately, pretty much it part of an agenda to improve my social skills dramatically. My main goal is to do reasonably well in the professional world once I graduate from university. The second more minor goal I want to achieve, I want to get socially skilled enough to do at least as well as most NT guys in the dating game. I am not sure if I want to get married or be in a long term relationship, but I would be nice to experience what being in one is like.

There are the normal things of improving conversation skills, learning non-verbal communication, understanding non-written social rules (i.e body language) and other interpersonal skills. Along with combating my social avoidance and anxiety. In these areas only a little book knowledge (I only have a few ebooks and great website called A survival guide for people with Asperger syndrome)  is required the rest comes from practical experience.

The things I am doing that might be considered strange are applying to sledgehammer to my personality, the way I see it I am just reverting back to what I was as a kid. A kid who wasn't ultra-nice, often arrogant and occasionally mean. Years of humility taught me to become a person who avoided conflict and try to please everyone. I want to become well more self assertive, ruthless, very judgemental, if not a little mean. I am a person with high standards of himself and expect others to do likewise. I am doing Judo classes to deal with my anger management problem and give me confidence to fight back (it is not likely I ever have to use my fighting skills for real).

The weird things I am doing are based on a couple of observations an Aspie IRL told me when we first met, he said I was soft spoken and needed to become louder. I can't remember exactly what I should do something to project the voice from the diaphragm and since we were at a concert, I told him I was not coping well with the sounds and he said he lost some of his hearing by listening to loud heavy metal music I believe over the years. So I have decided to follow his advice, I am going to listen a lot to my favorite metal bands really loud on my ipod shuffle and computer headphones for as long as it takes to lose enough hearing.

He gave me a few great observations about my behavior and tips so far, I see him as a role model for me, because he is an aspie who has succeeded in the NT world and personality wise he has some similarities to me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 01:44:59 AM by Teejay »

duncvis

Re: Things I am doing in my life right now
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 04:22:15 AM »
I am doing some strange things lately, pretty much it part of an agenda to improve my social skills dramatically. My main goal is to do reasonably well in the professional world once I graduate from university. The second more minor goal I want to achieve, I want to get socially skilled enough to do at least as well as most NT guys in the dating game. I am not sure if I want to get married or be in a long term relationship, but I would be nice to experience what being in one is like.

There are the normal things of improving conversation skills, learning non-verbal communication, understanding non-written social rules (i.e body language) and other interpersonal skills. Along with combating my social avoidance and anxiety. In these areas only a little book knowledge (I only have a few ebooks and great website called A survival guide for people with Asperger syndrome)  is required the rest comes from practical experience.

/claps

The things I am doing that might be considered strange are applying to sledgehammer to my personality, the way I see it I am just reverting back to what I was as a kid. A kid who wasn't ultra-nice, often arrogant and occasionally mean. Years of humility taught me to become a person who avoided conflict and try to please everyone. I want to become well more self assertive, ruthless, very judgemental, if not a little mean. I am a person with high standards of himself and expect others to do likewise. I am doing Judo classes to deal with my anger management problem and give me confidence to fight back (it is not likely I ever have to use my fighting skills for real).

The weird things I am doing are based on a couple of observations an Aspie IRL told me when we first met, he said I was soft spoken and needed to become louder. I can't remember exactly what I should do something to project the voice from the diaphragm

self-assertive is a good one, but there's a difference between taking no shit and being willing to push yourself forward, and acting like a cunt. And in NT terms, 'ruthless' and 'judgmental' seems to be code for 'backstabbing, superior, BMW driving, Tory voting, selfish motherfucker'. is that really what you want to be? yuppie scum? Its good to see you growing a pair, but it doesn't have to be a choice between being an arsehole or being a wimp.

Diaphragm breathing - did you learn how to breathe to fight more effectively in judo? fill your lungs, right to the bottom. tense your stomach muscles. then exhale forcefully. practice it, until you can control the flow and project effectively. or you could always get a couple ofd singing lessons. ;)

and since we were at a concert, I told him I was not coping well with the sounds and he said he lost some of his hearing by listening to loud heavy metal music I believe over the years. So I have decided to follow his advice, I am going to listen a lot to my favorite metal bands really loud on my ipod shuffle and computer headphones for as long as it takes to lose enough hearing.

heh. this applies to me - I worked in a loud environment for several years, spent my teens with headphones on and went to a lot of loud rock gigs. my hearing is permanently impaired and it definitely does help with tuning stuff out as I have to make more of a conscious effort to listen - not sure if I would recommend deliberately fucking up your hearing, but meh.

He gave me a few great observations about my behavior and tips so far, I see him as a role model for me, because he is an aspie who has succeeded in the NT world and personality wise he has some similarities to me.

don't forget to be yourself. success at the price of selling out your core values is failure. good luck teejay.

Teejay

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:23:04 AM »

Diaphragm breathing - did you learn how to breathe to fight more effectively in judo? fill your lungs, right to the bottom. tense your stomach muscles. then exhale forcefully. practice it, until you can control the flow and project effectively. or you could always get a couple ofd singing lessons. ;)

I have not started judo classes yet, I am not in a real rush to start them. Also I have been thinking if I should use counseling to deal with my anger management problem. I know that certain things make me angry (I am guessing a lot of things which happended in my life), there is a difference between being mean and being angry. I am thinking something mediative like Yoga would help me with dealing with my anger. Besides I can always put up a small punching bag in my room and get some gloves  8)

Strange enough I am not soft spoken, indeed I seem to be loud when I am drunk   :-\

heh. this applies to me - I worked in a loud environment for several years, spent my teens with headphones on and went to a lot of loud rock gigs. my hearing is permanently impaired and it definitely does help with tuning stuff out as I have to make more of a conscious effort to listen - not sure if I would recommend deliberately fucking up your hearing, but meh.

Yeah it could be a bad idea to fucking up my hearing on purpose.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 06:43:07 AM by Teejay »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:31:06 AM »
I think it is a bad idea to ruin your hearing on purpose because it can cause more problems than it solves.  If you destroy your high pitched hearing, you could get tinnitus, where you hear sounds in your ears all the time.  It's no fun, believe me.  You could try those foam earplugs in environments that are so noisy you know they will bother you.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 01:35:50 PM »
Yeah I have tinnitus hear noise in My ears and I did nothing to ruin My hearing either.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 01:49:42 PM »
Yeah me too and I didn't either, but I have read it often happens to people who listen to music too loud especially on earphones, when they damage their high-pitched hearing.

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:55:13 PM »
Yeah headphones are the worst. I use them but lower the sound I don't really like loud sounds Myself.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 09:46:39 PM »
I think it is a bad idea to ruin your hearing on purpose because it can cause more problems than it solves.  If you destroy your high pitched hearing, you could get tinnitus, where you hear sounds in your ears all the time.  It's no fun, believe me.  You could try those foam earplugs in environments that are so noisy you know they will bother you.

practically every old timer on the docks can barely hear anything.
and they are all grumpy old men.  i associate that with the constant low droning sound they live with.  i know it would make me bitchy.
Misunderstood.

Triste

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 02:27:35 AM »
Good for you Teejay.
For what it's worth, I can't speak loudly either.  I'm incapable of it, it seems, even when I need to shout or yell (like tellling somebody to watch out for something) I just can't do it.  Shrugs.  My family sure appreciates that I can't yell :)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 11:27:14 PM »
People complain that I speak too low as well.

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 12:11:53 AM »
Some people to Me quit mumbling for I speak in a low voice Myself.
Guardian of the Empire

Triste

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 12:20:24 AM »
It's topics like this that make me wonder if MS is AS after all.  I've always thought he was NT, but he tells me he has "AS traits".  One thing he does is mumble. 

Offline Leto729

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 01:31:10 AM »
What are You mumbling about. ;D
Guardian of the Empire

Triste

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 01:32:45 AM »
LOL.  MS is my Minnesotan Stud.  Where ya been, Kevv?  Am I the only one that is really bothered by this black background? 

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 02:02:49 AM »
no - i find it v difficult, too.  can we make it optional, please?

teejay - please don't damage your hearing permanently.  but bloody good for you with the rest of it, and i really mean that.  +1