Educational

Author Topic: Let's talk about the filthy act of hand-shaking  (Read 950 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Let's talk about the filthy act of hand-shaking
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
is it too dirty?

do you only shake hands while wearing gloves?

when this disgusting behaviour dies out, will historians look at us and think what revolting creatures we must have been?

Discuss

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Let's talk about the filthy act of hand-shaking
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
I prefer not to shake hands but will when I have to. I usually tell people I am getting a cold or that they are dirty.  I never shook hand with gloves on, and I don't think it will die out anytime soon unless there is an epidemic or something
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »
you tell people they are dirty?

do they punch you in teh face?  :laugh:

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12:04 PM »
Just keep your arms stiffly down at your sides, and bow instead.  :lol:

As women, we used to be able to avoid all that social-handshaking nonsense. Being female, we were presumed not to be bearing weapons, and thus had no need to proffer a visibly-empty hand to anyone to demonstrate our good intentions. All that has changed. Myself I have little problem with shaking anyone's hand; what I dislike is when they lunge in for the kiss on the cheek. Eeew, get off! :yikes: :jedi:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 08:12:55 PM »
Well both are dirty  :P

The kissing thing has to go along with the hugging
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 08:26:24 PM »
I mostly get the hugging. :zombiefuck:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 08:29:38 PM »
no one ever hugs me but that's ok

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
If you seriously want to fuck someone up during a handshake, tickle them with your middle finger while doing it.....  :evillaugh:

Do that a few times and nobody will come within cooee of your hand again.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:05:32 AM »
Oh well, handshaking is the way to transfer a lot of diseases.
Just had to spam the village with government information because of the SwineFlu, Definitely transmitted by handshakes.  :zombiefuck:

But I do not really mind shaking hands. (I hardly get into situations where I have to lately) I think I pick up germs everywhere. Don't mind the sensation of a handshake either. As long as no-one touches the back of my hand lightly. I truly hate that. Kind of hurts, without pain. Even thinking of it makes me squirm.

I hate it being touched by people I don't like or trust, but love a good hug from someone I like. Crave for physical contact. And am a huggy kind of Aspie. More physical than people in general.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:09:45 AM »
The Italian fascists actually tried to ban handshaking and replacing it with the Roman salute, but it failed.

Blasted

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Just keep your arms stiffly down at your sides, and bow instead.  :lol:

As women, we used to be able to avoid all that social-handshaking nonsense. Being female, we were presumed not to be bearing weapons, and thus had no need to proffer a visibly-empty hand to anyone to demonstrate our good intentions. All that has changed. Myself I have little problem with shaking anyone's hand; what I dislike is when they lunge in for the kiss on the cheek. Eeew, get off! :yikes: :jedi:

In Poland there's a habit (especially amongst old horrible ladies) to kiss the cheek three times  :zombiefuck:  As in left, right, left.  Worst thing is that there is no way to duck out of it or you're classed as rude.  Also in school, in the first 2 weeks everyone went through a honeymoon period (this is still Poland, obviously  ::) ) and kissed each other's cheeks to say hi every morning.  EVERYONE had to do it, even this horribly spot-covered girl.  Eurgh thinking of it still makes me gag.

As for hand-shaking, we should just all wear gloves  :zoinks:  I hate it when people have really sweaty hands.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:02:59 AM »
Just keep your arms stiffly down at your sides, and bow instead.  :lol:

In Poland there's a habit (especially amongst old horrible ladies) to kiss the cheek three times  :zombiefuck:  As in left, right, left.  Worst thing is that there is no way to duck out of it or you're classed as rude.  Also in school, in the first 2 weeks everyone went through a honeymoon period (this is still Poland, obviously  ::) ) and kissed each other's cheeks to say hi every morning.  EVERYONE had to do it, even this horribly spot-covered girl.  Eurgh thinking of it still makes me gag.

As for hand-shaking, we should just all wear gloves  :zoinks:  I hate it when people have really sweaty hands.

I can only imagine what happens when one person has the flu and everyone is kissing cheeks. It would spread fast.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Soleiyu

• Racist leach sucking on the government tit
  • SINBINNED
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:15:23 AM »
It's a disgusting western custom. Another reason why I prefer eastern and especially japanese. They usually bow instead of hand shaking.

In western pig culture, it's considered a sign of character and dignity to have a "firm and convincing" handshake. That's pathetic imo. Who wants to be like Bill Clinton or Donald comb-over, really?

When I see an Ivy-League JFK-type with a "firm and convincing" handshake, a gentleman's spirit, Ralph Lauren, a burger in his stomach and bit of "Rock'n'Roll" I feel like killing something.

I don't shake hands if it can be avoided.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:19:01 AM by Soleiyu »
Kick me

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »
It's a disgusting western custom. Another reason why I prefer eastern and especially japanese. They usually bow instead of hand shaking.

In western pig culture, it's considered a sign of character and dignity to have a "firm and convincing" handshake. That's pathetic imo. Who wants to be like Bill Clinton or Donald comb-over, really?

When I see an Ivy-League JFK-type with a "firm and convincing" handshake, a gentleman's spirit, Ralph Lauren, a burger in his stomach and bit of "Rock'n'Roll" I feel like killing something.

I don't shake hands if it can be avoided.

Fuck off douchbag

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »
I doesn't bother me because I always wash my hands afterwards. I despise kissing on the cheek. Cheek kissers know how to latch on to you so you can't escape, and they always make that horrible smooching sound. ::shudders::
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law