Author Topic: Should universities use positive discrimination to increase diversity?  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: Should universities use positive discrimination to increase diversity?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
 Whilst I see the good in making sure economically disadvantaged would-be students get their chance at a bite from the apple too, that is very different from 'affirmative action' (and that is NOT a more acceptable way of putting things. Its just a mealy-mouthed, evasive, slimy way for politicians to get away with saying things like 'lets give a set number of positions to applicants just because they are black, even when a white applicant does better and is more capable' (or other race in place of 'black' although 'affirmative action' seems afaik in the USA to mean 'black gets the advantage').

There is no such thing as 'positive discrimination' in that. Its a spineless euphemistic lie of a term for negative discrimination against (almost certainly) white people. I.e the same thing as they are complaining about only they move the rifle, so another racial group (white of course, being the only ethnic group its politically 'acceptable' to discriminate blatantly against without huge controversy and people losing jobs in political circles) is in the center of the scope instead of the black, south-north american admixtures that were there first, before pulling the trigger. Its just antiwhite racism to score political points, by cunts, for cunts.

And yeah I really do want to go to uni. Would love to sharpen my techniques, gain more knowledge, and while I'm there at least, maybe get myself a few connections who'd run samples after my leaving (unless of course I went on to teach, got a job there, that'd be top notch:)), but whilst there having access to NMR, to GC-MS, LC-MS, ICP-MS maybe ion cyclotron resonance-fourier transform mass spectrometry and of course the old school stuff like UV/UV-VIS and IR spectrophotometers (with some savings I plan to buy myself an IR or UV-vis range spectrophotometer, or better yet. a Raman laser IR spec, would have to be secondhand, but that would be SO useful, and I will be able to afford to buy an IR spectrophotometer secondhand, used for my own, possibly even now, but pretty certain to be able to afford one come monday, although I'll spend time looking around for the best deal and looking on ebay for one to come up that is in perfect working condition (not taking on a restore job, or 'for parts' on this, no chance, since I'd be completely new to the practice of running the thing, and preparing samples, linking it to a computer and running the software, performing analyses on samples, got to learn everything from the ground up myself. Which of course means I'll need to do some research on the best of the types of spectrophotometer that are most suited for my needs which can fall within my price range second hand too.)   So of course if I'm not building my own, but buying a secondhand model, complete and ready to run once put together then I'm not going to go for (albeit cheaper) having to replace parts, find working bits for the specific model, diagnose problems that I'm really not at all qualified to do, since that would be, forget throwing me in at the deep end of the pool, that would be getting tipped arse naked and knifeless in the middle of the atlantic with no food or water and right in the middle of a pack of sharks, so to speak.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: Should universities use positive discrimination to increase diversity?
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 06:00:25 PM »
That's not the way affirmative action works in the US. When there is a situation of people being equally qualified candidates, the minority gets the advantage. New laws in recent years also apply this minority right to the disabled, and mental diagnosis is also included in workplace disability classification. Though disability affirmative action only currently applies to government jobs and companies with government contracts. It's still a good start. Personally have serious problems with affirmative action in theory, but in practice there's no denying society simply has to be forced to allow certain people to claim their rightful place within the workforce. The true result of a successful affirmative action directive is for a workplace to employ demographic percentages which reflect the surrounding community.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:07:35 PM by Jack »