Educational

Author Topic: England - even MORE cowardly than Ireland and Sweden!  (Read 1982 times)

TheoK

Re: England - even MORE cowardly than Ireland and Sweden!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 09:02:56 AM »
KClO3 was invented by the French in 1788.

The cowardly firework law is English, however.

They must've invented it for the Revolution they had planned for the next year, considering the storming of the Bastille happened in 1789 and Marie Antoinette was beheaded not long after.

We in Australia used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day on Nov 5 up until the 70s, when governments banned crackers and other fireworks for public sale. The only people allowed to operate fireworks are those professionals with permits at events.

That's real cowardice. Even in Sweden people are allowed to buy firework "cakes" up to 1 kg and pretty big rockets. They banned 4" mortars last year but you can still buy powerful 2" and 3".

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »

They must've invented it for the Revolution they had planned for the next year, considering the storming of the Bastille happened in 1789 and Marie Antoinette was beheaded not long after.

We in Australia used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Day on Nov 5 up until the 70s, when governments banned crackers and other fireworks for public sale. The only people allowed to operate fireworks are those professionals with permits at events.

That's real cowardice. Even in Sweden people are allowed to buy firework "cakes" up to 1 kg and pretty big rockets. They banned 4" mortars last year but you can still buy powerful 2" and 3".

The reason they did it was little buggers kept letting them off in other kids pockets or kept blowing their hands off. The biggest 'crackers' we had were penny bungers, but the biggest professional crackers were about the size of a 2 litre Coke bottle.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:59 AM »

The reason they did it was little buggers kept letting them off in other kids pockets or kept blowing their hands off. The biggest 'crackers' we had were penny bungers, but the biggest professional crackers were about the size of a 2 litre Coke bottle.
What happened to Darwinism?

TheoK

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 09:31:25 AM »

What happened to Darwinism?

:agreed:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 10:33:59 AM »
some kid setting off a firework at someone else is darwinism?

i don't see the point in banning fireworks. that's retarded. they should make sure kids don't get hold of them though. some little shits tie them to cats' tails etc

TheoK

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »

No, but idiots killing themselves with fireworks/bombs is Darwinism.  :angel:

i don't see the point in banning fireworks. that's retarded. they should make sure kids don't get hold of them though. some little shits tie them to cats' tails etc

My dad bought me my first firecrackers when I was 4. The age limit back then was 15, but most dealers didn't care. I had a starting revolver at 10 and bough ammo in the gun store without anyone questioning it. And that was less than 30 years ago.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 11:07:07 AM »

The problem is, who is going to make sure the kids don't get them. You get jerk parents who buy them and give them to kids. This keeps happening so the government steps in and bans them outright.

Sure they should fine or imprison the parents or other adult(s) that give kids fireworks, and more so if the kid injures themself. But who wants to arrest daddy after little johnny loses an eye or fingers and is in hospital?  ::)

I do miss bonfires and firecrackers.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »

The problem is, who is going to make sure the kids don't get them. You get jerk parents who buy them and give them to kids. This keeps happening so the government steps in and bans them outright.

Sure they should fine or imprison the parents or other adult(s) that give kids fireworks, and more so if the kid injures themself. But who wants to arrest daddy after little johnny loses an eye or fingers and is in hospital?  ::)

No bonfires either :o
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
We have bonfires in Sweden for Easter and the Eve of May. :toporly:

They used to have bonfires here in western Sweden for Midsummer too.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 12:17:17 AM »
That goes back to Sweden's pagan roots. Easter originally fell on March 21 as Ostara, Beltane was Mayday and June 21 was the longest day in the northern hemisphere. As the Vikings were Norse peoples, they would have had the Scandinavians adopt their gods

TheoK

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 12:36:21 AM »
The Vikings! I actually live in the old Norse province Viken! :arrr:

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 02:07:04 AM »
My father regularly buys hundreds of dollars worth of fireworks for every holiday.   We set them off with our family quite regularly.   I have come close to setting neighbors' roofs on fire many times.    The last time we did fireworks on the beach, we had one tip over and it almost hit my father.   We usually buy the illegal stuff (at least it is illegal in Florida).    We have had stuff that is basically a quarter stick of dynamite before.   Fun times.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
Lots of the bigger fireworks are banned here but I can fave a fire up to 3 feet in diameter in the yard without any sort of permissions.  I lit up some magnesium forks from a bike once and nobody complained :green:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »

No bonfires either :o

Without the firecrackers, no one does the bonfire anymore. Plus you'd probably need permits up the wazoo and it would probably be too much effort or something.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 05:19:08 PM »
Lots of the bigger fireworks are banned here but I can fave a fire up to 3 feet in diameter in the yard without any sort of permissions.  I lit up some magnesium forks from a bike once and nobody complained :green:

Magnesium ribbons are great. Use 'em to make papier mache and plasticine volcanoes like we did at school....