Author Topic: 'War on Terror'  (Read 6091 times)

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
Re: 'War on Terror'
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2007, 03:47:41 PM »
Jill: How many "terrorists" have you met Sam? Actual terrorists?

--Terry Gilliam, "Brazil" (1985)

I have never met a politician either, but they're out there. 

As regards to the question "Is terrorism a greater threat now, than it was before Sep 11?"  The answer is yes.  Before Sep. 11 everyone assumed that the US was safe from attack on its soil.  Yes, the threat remains much the same for our affiliates overseas, but the idea that terrorists would spend years assimilating into our country in order to give their lives to kill people was not exactly an accepted part of reality.  The threat of terrorism before 9/11 did not carry the threat of total dedication on the terrorists part in order to sacrifice years of the life, in order to sacrifice their life itself in the end.  This is much different than someone overseas who is part of an army, then goes on a suicide bombing mission one day.   

The greater threat of terrorism is not so much a growing of idealogy.  But, their ability to acquire new technology which was impossible to acquire before (have you seen the new jumbo jet?  I can just picture the watering mouths of the next generation of hijackers), with the ever-increasing ability of countries to go nuclear, and the advances of science and biological warfare in government programs.  This is what we must stop.  This is also something that will take years to accomplish, as in order to stop this threat we must overthrow a large amount of dictatorships in order to acheive democratic stability throughout the world.

As technology improves at an exponential rate, so will our time to stop such threats decrease exponentially.  The damage that one man can do will increase with the increases in technology. 

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »
Try to get stability in the ones you HAVE invaded, first. ::)

Did you actually have a point, or did you just watch Fox News?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 04:01:15 PM »
Try to get stability in the ones you HAVE invaded, first. ::)

Did you actually have a point, or did you just watch Fox News?

Did I say anywhere the plan was working?  Just because you have the right course of action, doesn't mean our leaders will carry it out correctly. 

Edit:  I do not have a t.v. btw. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 04:05:54 PM by jonathan79 »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 04:08:20 PM »
So, allow me to repeat my question: did you actually have a point? And if you did, what's your plan?

BTW, it's your leaders, not mine, although I fully support the rights of the world to vote in the next presidential election of the US, since what happens over there has an absurdly large impact on the rest of the world.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
So, allow me to repeat my question: did you actually have a point? And if you did, what's your plan?

BTW, it's your leaders, not mine, although I fully support the rights of the world to vote in the next presidential election of the US, since what happens over there has an absurdly large impact on the rest of the world.

Read my post.  I said that we need to replace the dictatorships with democracies before technological advances make it too easy to produce WMD.   

Did YOU have a point?  Or did you just need to bump in with the tired cliche' of "The Iraq war is a mess" when it has nothing to do with the point of my post?

BTW, I did not use "our leaders" in the context of the world, but in the context of the US, which I would assume was quite obvious, as no one uses "our leaders" in the context you are suggesting.   

duncvis

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 04:14:27 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
Read my post.  I said that we need to replace the dictatorships with democracies before technological advances make it too easy to produce WMD.   

Did YOU have a point?  Or did you just need to bump in with the tired cliche' of "The Iraq war is a mess" when it has nothing to do with the point of my post?

BTW, I did not use "our leaders" in the context of the world, but in the context of the US, which I would assume was quite obvious, as no one uses "our leaders" in the context you are suggesting.   

In the same vein, I'd like to propose the following solution to today's problems:

Everybody should stop fighting since it's counter-productive. The easiest way to make them all realize that this is the case is, of course, by telling them. We must do this before it all goes too far. Now, therefore, is a good time.

My method kills fewer people than yours.

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 05:33:35 AM »
It has a problem, though. Governments and criminal gangs won't abide your method.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 06:31:23 AM »

In the same vein, I'd like to propose the following solution to today's problems:

Everybody should stop fighting since it's counter-productive. The easiest way to make them all realize that this is the case is, of course, by telling them. We must do this before it all goes too far. Now, therefore, is a good time.

survival of the fittest.

i believe that a person dies when they are supposed to.
it just so happens that it has been a few bad years for the iraqi's.

who knows, maybe the next few years might no be a good time to be an american.
but death happens by design.
Misunderstood.

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 04:53:46 PM »

Telling them?!?!?  This is the most ridiculous solution that I have ever heard.   

Bush:  Bin Laden, please stop, your war against the west as it is only causing death and destruction.  This is counter-productive to attaining peace between the west and middle east. 

Bin Laden:  That's the whole point.   

Bush:  President Ahmadinejad, please stop your pursuit of nuclear power, this will only lead to your acquisition of nuclear weapons.

Ahmadinejad:  That's the whole point.

Your method only works in your imagination.  Sure, we must begin a dialogue, but only after those who will never listen are out of the way.     

Litigious

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2007, 04:56:22 PM »
You see why I want to leave Sweden? Many people here actually think that terrorists are "talkable" and reasonable.

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2007, 05:02:39 PM »
who knows, maybe the next few years might no be a good time to be an american.

I'm pretty sure it will be the next few decades at the least. 

Offline jonathan79

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2007, 05:06:10 PM »
You see why I want to leave Sweden? Many people here actually think that terrorists are "talkable" and reasonable.

Something I cannot understand either.  It's like trying to talk a Christian out of Christianity. 

Litigious

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2007, 05:07:44 PM »
Yep. By the way, it won't be good decades for Europeans either. The islamic extremists hate us too and many of them live in European countries.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2007, 05:51:02 PM »

Something I cannot understand either.  It's like trying to talk a Christian out of Christianity. 
i tried that a coupla times with mormons when they made the mistake of knocking on my door.
Misunderstood.