Author Topic: 40th Anniversary of Moon Landing 7/20/09  (Read 1207 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
40th Anniversary of Moon Landing 7/20/09
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:34 AM »
Less than an hour away USA Pacific time.

I'm a big space buff, so it disappoints me that the media hasn't talked about this more. It's as if we've lost interest in space. Hopefully, recent orbital and satellite ventures by China and India, plus the possibility of Virgin Galactic doing LEO flights starting in 2011, will reignite our long-dormant interest in the long-range exploration of space.

"Earth is the cradle of Humanity, but one cannot remain in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, mathematician, an early Russian proponent of space exploration who was the first to design space stations and space elevators, invented the multistage rocket, and calculated the amount of energy needed to reach escape velocity for Earth orbit.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:59:46 PM by punkdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: 40th Anniversary of Moon Landing 7/20/09
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
Oh, and anyone even THINKING of doing a bit on "Moon Landing Hoax" is invited to start their own thread. That is one conspiracy theory up with which I will not put.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

P7PSP

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 12:30:39 AM »
My uncle woke a bunch of us cousins/sibling up real early to watch the Moon Landing. It was impressive.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:40:24 AM »
My dad was an electrical engineer so I'm sure he woke us up to watch it. But I have no memory of doing so. I was 5.5 years old @ the time, so I guess my memory neurons weren't quite up to the job. I'll quiz my older brother see what he remembers.

P7PSP

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:48:10 AM »
My dad was an electrical engineer so I'm sure he woke us up to watch it. But I have no memory of doing so. I was 5.5 years old @ the time, so I guess my memory neurons weren't quite up to the job. I'll quiz my older brother see what he remembers.
The Hippocampus takes a while to get fully kicked in with long term memory. I had just turned 10 when it happened and was probably able to stay awake better than you were at the time. I am in favor of much more space exploration.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 01:15:30 AM »
I am in favor of much more space exploration.

:indeed: :agreed:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:16:15 AM »

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:43:15 AM »

Yuri Gagarin! One of my heroes. To quote Lit, Yuri Gagarin was BRAVE!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:43:48 AM »
It is!  8)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:48:47 AM »
I'd like to see NASA--while it's commemorating the 40th anniv of Apollo XI--put up on its site a cost-benefit analysis of the benefit to humanity from space exploration. The spinoffs alone make it worth the candle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:29:49 PM by punkdrew »

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 01:58:55 AM »
"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish."--John F Kennedy, 1961

TheoK

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 03:11:58 AM »
The Moon Landing was B-R-A-V-E!  :thumbup: :alien:

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 03:27:45 AM »
It is the greatest achievement of humanity to date and I'd love to see them go again someday. But the biggest problem is cost and considering current economic times, I doubt it'll happen any time in the near future. Also due to current scientific and engineering capacity, I doubt we'd ever go further than Mars practically.

But if one could build a Alcubierre drive, or generate wormholes (both concepts are theoretically plausible with Relativity, but require exotic matter), then interstellar exploration is a definite certainty. Too bad I won't probably live the day to see that actually happen though.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

P7PSP

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
I'd like to see NASA=while it's commemorating the 40th anniv of Apollo XI--to put up a cost-benefit analysis of the benefit to humanity from space exploration. The spinoffs alone make it worth the candle.
Money spent on Space exploration and research is not wasted even when it doesn't pay off immediately.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 04:39:30 AM »
"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth. No single space project in this period will be more impressive to mankind, or more important for the long-range exploration of space; and none will be so difficult or expensive to accomplish."--John F Kennedy, 1961
Wish the current generation of leaders had more balls. If they were properly committed, we could be at Mars by the end of the next decade.