Educational

Author Topic: little ideas for a slightly better world  (Read 572 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
little ideas for a slightly better world
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:42:32 AM »
This isn't a thread for discussing armed revolutions or radical social engineering projects, but for minor things that could realistically be changed to improve our day-to-day lives in some way. 

My first idea is that it would be nice if I could do an internet search that was restricted to only websites that I've bookmarked, or that are in my browser's history, or filtered in some other way based on my past activity.  Sometimes I'll think of something I saw online weeks, months or even years ago, like an interesting article or a product that was for sale, but I won't remember what site I saw it on and can't find it again with Google, often because there are too many other sites flooding the search results with things that are similar, but not quite what I'm looking for.  I'd like to be able to do this without revealing information about my past browser activity to Google or other search providers in a personally identifiable form, so it should have a secure annonymising system that separates the information from the source's IP address, and also splits the information up so that assticklers.com isn't sent in a big chunk of data along with frank56.adultblogservice.com and foocorp.com/boardofdirectors/frankharvey.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: little ideas for a slightly better world
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 04:53:05 AM »
This isn't a thread for discussing armed revolutions or radical social engineering projects, but for minor things that could realistically be changed to improve our day-to-day lives in some way. 
:(
My first idea is that it would be nice if I could do an internet search that was restricted to only websites that I've bookmarked, or that are in my browser's history, or filtered in some other way based on my past activity.  Sometimes I'll think of something I saw online weeks, months or even years ago, like an interesting article or a product that was for sale, but I won't remember what site I saw it on and can't find it again with Google, often because there are too many other sites flooding the search results with things that are similar, but not quite what I'm looking for.  I'd like to be able to do this without revealing information about my past browser activity to Google or other search providers in a personally identifiable form, so it should have a secure annonymising system that separates the information from the source's IP address, and also splits the information up so that assticklers.com isn't sent in a big chunk of data along with frank56.adultblogservice.com and foocorp.com/boardofdirectors/frankharvey.
So we want an Aspie search engine? Btw - this FF plugin might interest you: http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/06/view-your-web-browser-history-in-visual.html

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:30:14 AM »
So we want an Aspie search engine? Btw - this FF plugin might interest you: http://labnol.blogspot.com/2007/06/view-your-web-browser-history-in-visual.html

I don't think there needs to be anything particularly Aspergerish about it, and how would an Asperger search engine differ from a non-Asperger search engine?  Thanks for the link though; I'll try it out later, but based on the description, it seems like a good match for what I wanted.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:02:25 AM »

I don't think there needs to be anything particularly Aspergerish about it, and how would an Asperger search engine differ from a non-Asperger search engine?  Thanks for the link though; I'll try it out later, but based on the description, it seems like a good match for what I wanted.
More set up to deal with how we process and store stuff I guess. In particular, it might allow us to search by other means, e.g. via pictures or sketches.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your reasoning. True change would only occur if blood were shed.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:36:05 AM »

I'm afraid I have to disagree with your reasoning. True change would only occur if blood were shed.

:agreed:

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 01:16:03 PM »

So, are there no improvements that you can think of which don't require violence?  No niggling little annoyances in your life which could be corrected in a peaceful manner through the application of a little creativity and elbow grease, or by doing something a little differently?

I like to keep our garden well watered when we have hot, dry weather like we're getting at the moment, but it's a pain in the ass to go around the entire garden with a hose to water everything, and it's a garden of bushes, trees, irregular shapes and numerous other factors that make sprinklers far more bother than they're worth.  To resolve this minor annoyance in my life, I snaked a length of hose around the garden this evening, winding it under and around obstacles, sealed the end of it and carefully perforated it so that it produces little misty jets of water that go exactly where I want them to, allowing me to spend more time enjoying the garden, and less time standing around with a hose while I get bored.  I've improved my life in a small but noticeable way, and nobody got hurt in the process.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

So, are there no improvements that you can think of which don't require violence?  No niggling little annoyances in your life which could be corrected in a peaceful manner through the application of a little creativity and elbow grease, or by doing something a little differently?

I like to keep our garden well watered when we have hot, dry weather like we're getting at the moment, but it's a pain in the ass to go around the entire garden with a hose to water everything, and it's a garden of bushes, trees, irregular shapes and numerous other factors that make sprinklers far more bother than they're worth.  To resolve this minor annoyance in my life, I snaked a length of hose around the garden this evening, winding it under and around obstacles, sealed the end of it and carefully perforated it so that it produces little misty jets of water that go exactly where I want them to, allowing me to spend more time enjoying the garden, and less time standing around with a hose while I get bored.  I've improved my life in a small but noticeable way, and nobody got hurt in the process.

I see. You mean little tricks that manipulate our own environment. Sure. Lemme think about it for a while. I'll come back later.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 02:28:28 PM »

More set up to deal with how we process and store stuff I guess. In particular, it might allow us to search by other means, e.g. via pictures or sketches.

Tricky. Anything like that is pretty damned hard to code--searching based on images rather than words.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »

Yeah, we might be able to tape around the edges a little, but the real problems are fundamental. Its unlikely we can sort things merely by chipping away, however. Maybe we can make a good few bob though by coming up with some original ideas and putting them into action collectively though. Then we might be able to make some more collective changes. Coming to think of it, how up to speed are you with electronics. There is a couple of novel toys I wouldn't mind making, got an idea how to turn any laptop screen into a tablet.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:42:46 PM »

Tricky. Anything like that is pretty damned hard to code--searching based on images rather than words.
You need to know an awful lot of mathematics to have a chance at doing it, though it would be amazing to do as PhD project.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:01:39 AM »
Image search engine:  http://tineye.com/faq
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 05:16:32 AM »
Image search engine:  http://tineye.com/faq
Thats pretty impressive, though it cannot do everything. Like take a sketch and find accurate results.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:58:06 AM »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:32:10 AM »
Very cool.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein