Educational

Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 10296 times)

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2023, 06:07:55 PM »
Did we already cover "thoughts and prayers?"  It's a really old thread and I'm not gonna read all of it.

It's been mentioned fifty six times.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #406 on: January 31, 2023, 01:00:47 PM »
Can't say for sure, but that's another good one. Very empty saying!

Fifty Six, though?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #407 on: February 18, 2023, 10:09:17 AM »
Men have beards!
We do not have facial hair. Don't even think of my eyebrows as a kind of facial hair either. They are too long and bristly to be facial hair. They are the same as my beard.

Eye beards..?
:dog:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #408 on: March 11, 2023, 02:17:36 AM »
"... amn't I?"   "I'm so good looking, amn't I?"

I keep hearing this. I think they are trying to not say  "ain't I,"  but  "amn't I"  won't work for me.
I hate it!

There are many ways to get by without saying  "ain't." Ain't that right?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Fun With Matches

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Delicious and refreshing.
« Reply #409 on: March 11, 2023, 05:09:40 AM »

I keep hearing this. I think they are trying to not say  "ain't I,"  but  "amn't I"  won't work for me.
I hate it!

I don’t even like the word, “ain’t”.
:dog:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #410 on: March 11, 2023, 05:39:56 AM »
A member who used to post here used amn't a few times. It was the only time ever seeing it, and have never heard it. They were young, so just assumed it was one of those crazy kid things, with their funny words and so called music.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #411 on: March 11, 2023, 08:43:19 AM »

I hate it!

I don’t even like the word, “ain’t”.

Agreed and I generally only use it for "color" when making reference to something simple.

NO one has to keep using "ain't."

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #412 on: March 11, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »
A member who used to post here used amn't a few times. It was the only time ever seeing it, and have never heard it. They were young, so just assumed it was one of those crazy kid things, with their funny words and so called music.

Let's hope it is just a fast passing thing that never sticks to the walls. I can't stand to hear it!
 :LOL:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #413 on: March 11, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »

Let's hope it is just a fast passing thing that never sticks to the walls. I can't stand to hear it!
Was acquired a few years back and thrust into an environment of swearing in the workplace. At first assumed it was simply a different culture, though later wondered why it was the culture due to never seeing those in high levels of leadership do it. Then more recently leaders are now doing it too. Looked it up, and apparently cursing is no longer considered inappropriate, and likely even taught in public speaking that the right word dropped in the right place at the right time, can make a speaker come across as more honest, genuine, and less scripted. Generations younger than mine now make up the bulk of the workforce, and while it seems odd to see leadership my age cursing to the crowd, it now makes sense they're changing their speaking manner to appeal to the majority. Can't help but wonder what's going through their head while doing it, as surely they were taught it's crass, unprofessional, and even hostile. Told husband it just bothers me because I'm old and have old fashioned ideas. :laugh:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #414 on: March 11, 2023, 12:38:50 PM »

Was acquired a few years back and thrust into an environment of swearing in the workplace. At first assumed it was simply a different culture, though later wondered why it was the culture due to never seeing those in high levels of leadership do it. Then more recently leaders are now doing it too. Looked it up, and apparently cursing is no longer considered inappropriate, and likely even taught in public speaking that the right word dropped in the right place at the right time, can make a speaker come across as more honest, genuine, and less scripted. Generations younger than mine now make up the bulk of the workforce, and while it seems odd to see leadership my age cursing to the crowd, it now makes sense they're changing their speaking manner to appeal to the majority. Can't help but wonder what's going through their head while doing it, as surely they were taught it's crass, unprofessional, and even hostile. Told husband it just bothers me because I'm old and have old fashioned ideas. :laugh:

Same or similar old fashioned ideas and ideals.
Hard to imagine how "leadership" has fallen to this level of inappropriate behavior just to partially identify with even more inappropriate behaviors from underling staff.

My wife works at a UPS hub and has to deal with MF every other word out of some, but the most annoying thing to her is those who won't pull up their pants and wear a belt. They literally walk around all night loading and unloading trucks, stopping every two seconds to heave up their falling pants, because they have them down below their ass cheeks and want to show off their fancy underwear.

Ya know whut? We have some hard work to do before any of us can get out of here. All of us are immune to how beautiful your ass is, because we've seen it too many times.

AND, it's not just low life guys doing this. Many women do the same thing. She has lost respect for the average numbnuts guy ages ago, but she feels bad for the women doing this in public. I mean there are fifteen hundred people who work at this place during various times, twenty four hours per day.

:zombiefuck:

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #415 on: May 03, 2023, 01:47:34 AM »
"Accept me for who I am."

My ex who was an asshole always had this mindset and he was a real jerk which is why I don't take kindly to this phrase. Anyone who says it, I automatically assume they are an asshole and a narcissist. Too self absorbed they are to understand how they make others feel.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #416 on: May 03, 2023, 06:58:09 AM »
"Accept me for who I am."

My ex who was an asshole always had this mindset and he was a real jerk which is why I don't take kindly to this phrase. Anyone who says it, I automatically assume they are an asshole and a narcissist. Too self absorbed they are to understand how they make others feel.

Having an Ex or two is OK. They help you to define your own character and hopefully prevent similar mistakes that brought you into that Ex's fold or spell in the first place.

I don't mind the saying so much as long as those using it are living a Golden Rule life or at least within a mile of one.

Accept you for who you are, fine. BUT, how about you treat others as you would have them treat you. Then we'll talk.

Good one, Nat!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #417 on: May 05, 2023, 02:12:06 PM »
^true

What you give is what you get.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #418 on: May 05, 2023, 02:33:29 PM »
 "One reaps only as they sow."

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #419 on: May 05, 2023, 05:57:29 PM »
What you give is what you get.

"One reaps only as they sow."

Don't those two basically mean the same thing?  :lol1:
:gopher: