Educational

Author Topic: Swine flu  (Read 2854 times)

Frolic_Fun

Re: Swine flu
« Reply #105 on: June 15, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »
BAW WHINE FLU WE'RE GOING TO DIE!

Eejits. Normal flu kills more people a week then the total dead from swine flu. And that's WITH drugs/vaccines to prevent it.

Sure there may be a risk of a pandemic, but I doubt it will get to the levels of ordinary influenza. At the moment it's mostly media hype to scare the bored population and to divert their attention from the recession.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:24:57 AM by Shleed. »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
BAW WHINE FLU WE'RE GOING TO DIE!

Eejits. Normal flu kills more people a week then the total dead from swine flu. And that's WITH drugs/vaccines to prevent it.

Sure there may be a risk of a pandemic, but I doubt it will get to the levels of ordinary influenza. At the moment it's mostly media hype to scare the bored population and to divert their attention from the recession.

The potential pandemic, threatened in essence by the CDC has been averted, according to their own latest reports, although NOT by their hands!!

This flu is a punk compared to bird flu, asian flu, etc.

It has evolved, quite rapidly, even my microbial standards, into a semi-harmless viral infection, not atypical of most other influenza related infections.

A few died, but no one would have known, except that this one had been isolated in a lab somewhere as unique and "identifiable."

The reality is as you have already stated. Flu kills. This is not a bad flu, compared to other pandemics. It is the ones that have not been isolated as unique that we have more to worry about. The regular, whatever, un-named, highly contagious, every-day flu is much worse.

Thank you!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:53:18 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

TheoK

« Reply #107 on: June 15, 2009, 11:54:48 AM »
Flo kills more than the flu.  :P

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: June 15, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
I hope that it does not become a lot worse, especially in the next flu season.
We are at the start of flu season now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:29 AM »

I forgot that your flu season has already started.

Hopefully, it won't be too bad since there are only 2000 cases of swine flu in Australia so far.

Do you get a flu shot?

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2009, 09:03:25 AM »

I forgot that your flu season has already started.

Hopefully, it won't be too bad since there are only 2000 cases of swine flu in Australia so far.

Do you get a flu shot?

Yes, and most of them are in my state.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2009, 09:12:28 AM »
It's been ages since I had my flu shot. I rarely get sick, but when I do the worst is usually a mild flu/stomach upset, nothing really too bad for me to be in bed for more than a few days. The only serious illness I had was when I got a really bad dose of food poisoning that nearly killed me (doctors were convinced that I'd die too), 2 weeks of constant vomiting isn't pretty.

If I get this "swine flu", I'll more likely to be fine. My body's extremely resilient. :zoinks:

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:14 AM »
Those day and night cold and flu capsules work pretty good anyway.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2009, 10:33:39 AM »
Those day and night cold and flu capsules work pretty good anyway.
:agreed:

Though the amount of Codeine I have been taking recently, I doubt they will have the effect on me that they used to.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2009, 02:16:41 AM »
I don't get a flu shot. One year I did and I was constantly sick, catching colds all winter. That is probably just coincidence, though. I have only had the flu twice in my life.

I think one Australian has died from H1N1.

Hadron, stop taking codeine! It is not good for your poor stomach.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

TheoK

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2009, 02:19:25 AM »
Just elder and weak people get flu shots in Sweden, not because of pennywiseness, but because flu shots aren't good for young and healthy people. This is one of the cases where I think Sweden does absolutely right. Your immune system simply doesn't need flu shots, if you're young and healthy.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2009, 04:26:37 AM »
It's the same in the UK.  The NHS only provides flu vaccination to people who satisfy one or more of the following conditions:

# 65 years or over
# Older than 6 months with an existing condition that increases your risk
# Living in a long term care home
# A health or social care worker
# A poultry worker
# The main carer for an elderly or disabled person whose welfare may be at risk if you become ill

I've never had a flu jab, and never been offered one.  I've had flu maybe 5 times or thereabouts, usually lasting about 3 days, and in each case, it's put me into a delirious state with accompanying hallucinations for 12-24 hours, which was fairly interesting at times.

I don't know how much the NHS criteria are to do with a safety/benefit analysis, and how much they're to do with a cost/benefit analysis and supply limitations.  Vaccines can cause problems, but so can flu, and even colds can seriously fuck you up if you catch too many of them in a short period of time.  I don't subscribe to the 'colds and flu make you stronger' school of thought; high population densities and global travel mean that we're exposed to a larger variety of pathogenic viruses at a vastly higher frequency than our immune systems had to cope with during most of our evolutionary history, and viruses do nasty things inside our bodies, like messing with our DNA, triggering cancer and causing long-term damage to homeostatic mechanisms. 

Maybe the benefits of an expanded vaccination program would outweigh the harm caused by the vaccines themselves.  Besides the individual benefits of vaccination, it would produce a herd immunity to the targeted viruses and would reduce the viral load that we constantly have to fend off.

Data from the years when Japan required annual flu vaccinations for school-aged children indicate that vaccinating children—the group most likely to catch and spread the disease—has a strikingly positive effect on reducing mortality among older people: one life saved for every 420 children who received the flu vaccine.[51] This may be due to herd immunity or to direct causes, such as individual older people not being exposed to influenza. For example, retired grandparents often risk infection by caring for their sick grandchildren in households where the parents can't take time off work or are sick themselves.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2009, 05:56:38 AM »
I don't get a flu shot. One year I did and I was constantly sick, catching colds all winter. That is probably just coincidence, though. I have only had the flu twice in my life.

Pain isnt good for my sanity either - I would rather not be taking the stuff. Which reminds me, seeing the doctor about this tomorrow.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »

Pain isnt good for my sanity either - I would rather not be taking the stuff. Which reminds me, seeing the doctor about this tomorrow.

What did the doctor say?  Will you have to take medicine for pain forever?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2009, 06:16:05 PM »

What did the doctor say?  Will you have to take medicine for pain forever?
Doubt it - taking it for a temporary problem.