Educational

Author Topic: .......if you're so inclined.........  (Read 5237 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: .......if you're so inclined.........
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 10:35:39 AM »
Why is your engine in the rear? :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »
'Cause it's European?
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »
Seriously, if I remember right, Dr Porsche's first V8 --the 1938 prototype-- had a rear mount engine. Unfortunately, it apparently had one thing in common with many of today's SUVs--a nasty tendency to roll @ high speeds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:21:24 PM by punkdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Scrapheap

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »
Seriously, if I remember right, Dr Porsche's first V8 --the 1938 prototype-- had a rear mount engine. Unfortunately, it apparently had one thing in common with many of today's SUVs--a nasty tendency to roll @ high speeds.

I can't find any info on that car. Is it something he did for Audi??

TheoK

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 03:22:55 PM »
Porsche was  :viking:

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »

I'm a car/motorcycle geek........Especially for Porsche cars.
I have a Porsche 911 & all the 911's have the engine in the back of the car behind the rear axle.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 11:42:25 PM »

I can't find any info on that car. Is it something he did for Audi??

Might've been. I read about it in Phil Dick's last novel, The Transmigration of Timothy Archer. Supposedly, Porsche 'borrowed' the idea from a Czech car that was a V-8.

Scrapheap

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2010, 01:33:18 AM »

I'm a car/motorcycle geek........Especially for Porsche cars.
I have a Porsche 911 & all the 911's have the engine in the back of the car behind the rear axle.

From a pure engineering standpoint, the rear engine doesn't make much sense. Those cars tend to "push" in the corners. With the olde VW stuff, you could spin the engine/transaxle assembly around, bolt the ring gear to the other side of the pinion, and have a mid engined car with much better ballance.

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2010, 04:16:41 AM »
Yeah...the way it's so light in the front can be challenging/annoying/dangerous. But it's very consistant in its ways and has improved greatly due to decades of refinment. The 911 will alway be rear engined because Porsche insists that is have a rear seat.............buy a boxster/caymen if you want mid-engine. :green:....another fine specimin of Porsche.

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 04:27:30 AM »
Yeah...the way it's so light in the front can be challenging/annoying/dangerous. But it's very consistant in its ways and has improved greatly due to decades of refinment. The 911 will alway be rear engined because Porsche insists that is have a rear seat.............buy a boxster/caymen if you want mid-engine. :green:....another fine specimin of Porsche.

My ex had a Boxter, but after the fun wore off, he sold it because it was too small to carry luggage or golf clubs and a passenger in on weekends.

Scrapheap

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »

Or you can go Formula Vee racing.  8)

I liked McLaren's solution to the problem. Put the driver in the middle, have 3 seats and fitted luggage!!  :thumbup:

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2010, 06:02:31 PM »

I liked McLaren's solution to the problem. Put the driver in the middle, have 3 seats and fitted luggage!!  :thumbup:

OTSS, what's your opinion of Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion car?

Scrapheap

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »

OTSS, what's your opinion of Bucky Fuller's Dymaxion car?

An idea ahed of its time. If we had been driving something like those, we wouldn't need foreign oil.  :-\

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 01:01:30 AM »
Diesel, how did your family come into such wealth?
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »
My father was a successful business owner who bought and sold his company at the right times.