Educational

Author Topic: .......if you're so inclined.........  (Read 5230 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: .......if you're so inclined.........
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 02:05:20 AM »
I wouldn't mind having that car. Someone else could pay for its insurance, though. ;)

What is your avatar about, Diesel?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Diesel

• Log splitting aspie elitist
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 04:56:47 AM »
Pretty guns, fantastic car, but what really caught my eye was the coffee table with the slate inlay. You live in coal crackin' country, Diesel? (I live in a coal-mining district myself.)

Actually I do.
I'm about 1.5 hours from deep in the Mountains/mines of Kentucky.

The table was made in china though. :(

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 05:49:47 AM »
I wouldn't mind having that car. Someone else could pay for its insurance, though. ;)

What is your avatar about, Diesel?

Thanks!

My avatar is a pic of a motorcycle I was riding shortly after I wrecked it back in August last year.
It caught fire some how.

Here is a larger pic.

The theory is that the hot engine ignited the dry grass and it went from there.
The fuel tank actually disconnected during the wreck and landed safely away from the bike.....I landed further down the road out of the picture. :green:

The wreck happened basically because I wasn't in the proper frame of mind to be sport riding.
The thing with me is that I'm so oblivious to my mental and physical state of being that I don't recognize when I shouldn't be sporting on a motorcycle.

Sport riding requires 100% all the time. I was on a technical road I knew well, but just drifted off into lala land got to close the edge of the road in a left hand turn. I though could pull out of it but left the road and then came back on the pavement sliding sideways......once the rear of the bike got traction, it spit me off. I did what called a high-side.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highsider

Had all my gear on, Helmet, racing gloves with carbon fiber knuckle protection, racing boots, fully armored leather jacket, and leather pants with armor hard armor in the knees.

Only suffered a very sore heel and a badly broken right wrist (compund fracture & dislocation) thanks to all the gear I was wearing.
If I hadn't been wearing the boots I was, I'm certain my heel would have been shattered......plus I'd have lost my left ear and had a hole in my forhead along with more damage to my right hand.

Had one surgery to put in plates & screws to set the bone in my wrist.
Another for some reconstructive work on the ligaments and such.

I can post more pic's of te whole wreck thing plus the broken wrist if anyone wants to see.

This wreck led to the Porsche.

My parents have never approved of me motorcycling being that my father has permenant injuries from a motorcycle wreck and 2 of my cousins are dead due to bike wrecks. While I was sitting in the emergency room, my father walked in a told me he'd give me his Aston Martin (which he never drives) if I got rid of all my bikes. Initially I declined.......but after some time in the hospital and a week  or so to think about it, I changed my mind. The odds are against me. I've had 5 years and 60,000 miles of motorcycle enjoyment with 2 wrecks and a countless number of close calls.....time to move on while I still have the option.

Traded the Aston plus some of my own money for the Porsche.
I've always wanted a 911.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:54:59 AM by Diesel »

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 04:31:26 PM »
Wow. Yes post more pictures! :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
Wow. Yes post more pictures! :)

note the gouges on the knuckles

I happened to run into some people I knew from the local motorcycling forum while gassing up earlier.......one of them took the pic's of the accident scene.

Next 2 pic's are graphic.....don't look if you're super squeamish

Took this one myself while waiting for the ambulance.  :green:

7 weeks later I got my cast off  :asthing:

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:07 AM »
Oh, my God, women!  :headslap:

How can you talk about a table when you see lovely American and Italian guns and one of the best cars German engineers were ever able to make?  :asthing:

You've got your perseverations, I've got mine. :green:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 04:22:33 AM »
That is one really broken wrist. Haven't seen a picture like that before, but no wonder you had to have all those pins put in. The armour you wore (especially the helmet) thankfully did its job. :)
Tek'ma'tae

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 06:00:46 AM »
Do you set off metal detectors?

(I've got 2 surgical-steel pins holding together a bone graft below my knee, and to my chagrin have never set off any alarms)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18:46 AM »
Looking at the damages to the helmet, I think you were extremely lucky you were wearing such a good one.

Offline Diesel

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Oblivitard
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 03:26:14 PM »
Do you set off metal detectors?

(I've got 2 surgical-steel pins holding together a bone graft below my knee, and to my chagrin have never set off any alarms)

Haven't been through any yet........don't know.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 04:01:39 PM »
My daughter set off a metal detector one time, and all she has are wires wiring her chest together and a clip closing off her Patent Ductus Arterosis.

She hasn't set it off other times, so I'm guessing that the metal detectors vary in sensitivity.

Still if you have a card of some sort from the surgeon, it might be a good idea to take it with you to the airport.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
My daughter set off a metal detector one time, and all she has are wires wiring her chest together and a clip closing off her Patent Ductus Arterosis.

She hasn't set it off other times, so I'm guessing that the metal detectors vary in sensitivity.

Still if you have a card of some sort from the surgeon, it might be a good idea to take it with you to the airport.

Gawd!!

That would totally freak my son out.  My daughter could probably be "called down off the bridge,"  but my son would "jump" before two seconds passed.

I have never had anything like that to compare. I only had my first broken bone two months ago, except for my ring finger a few years ago and the ones in my hands when I was a kid that I had not found out about until I was an adult.

Nothing I have has "plates or wires"  in it.

:yikes:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 04:34:38 PM »

Gawd!!

That would totally freak my son out.  My daughter could probably be "called down off the bridge,"  but my son would "jump" before two seconds passed.

I have never had anything like that to compare. I only had my first broken bone two months ago, except for my ring finger a few years ago and the ones in my hands when I was a kid that I had not found out about until I was an adult.

She was pretty freaked out by it, especially when they wanted to wand her.  She was having none of that, no matter how "fun" I tried to make it look.  I explained where the wires were in her and even showed them a little of her sternotomy scar and they finally decided to let her walk back through it again and for some weird reason she didn't set it off that time.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »

Gawd!!

She was pretty freaked out by it, especially when they wanted to wand her.  She was having none of that, no matter how "fun" I tried to make it look.  I explained where the wires were in her and even showed them a little of her sternotomy scar and they finally decided to let her walk back through it again and for some weird reason she didn't set it off that time.

I wonder if one of the security people helped you out a little on that day by resetting the sensitivity of the detector mechanism for a moment, while your daughter walked back through for the second time.
I have never been through anything like that with either of mine.
I've had to take my daughter with me to the courthouse when I was sued for breaking that guys ribs, but neither one of us set the alarms off. I had set her up for this in advance, just in case, and she was a little disappointed that we didn't have to be searched.

Sometimes, you just can't fucking win one.
 ::)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:48:08 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 08:01:23 AM »
 :plus: for the good protective gear.   As far as metal detectors go I have no pins but set them off all the time and have to get wanded everywhere they have them :-\
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw