Educational

Author Topic: car stereo that plays MP3's  (Read 330 times)

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
car stereo that plays MP3's
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »
I replaced my car stereo a few weeks ago.  I could deal with the old one cutting out the left channel at random times... barerly, it would quickly become annoying.  But then there was a short somewhere in the car's electrical system, with reason to believe the radio was the cause.  So I replaced it.

The new one, a cheap one I bought at Target, with the "VR3" brand name, plays MP3 files.  There are several ways it does this: SD cards, USB thumb drives, analog source through the Auxiliary input (including an MP3 player via the headphone jack), and CD-R's full of MP3's (as well as regular audio CDs).  Having used it for a few weeks, I've identified my preferences and pet-peeves in its use.  The radio displays the names of artists and songs that it receives on FM stations, as well as the names of the stations.  It looks like it tries to do the same for MP3's, but can only show the first seven characters in the song title.  Most of these MP3 files were created by iTunes, ripping the songs from regular audio CDs and looking up the CDs on the online CDDB to get the titles.  I'm wondering if there's a setting I can change in iTunes, and then update all the MP3 files in its library, so that ones I put on thumb drives and CDs to take down to the car will display properly on the radio display.