Author Topic: BILL HICKS' FINAL LETTERMAN APPEARANCE TO BE AIRED!  (Read 505 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
BILL HICKS' FINAL LETTERMAN APPEARANCE TO BE AIRED!
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:42:45 PM »
I'm so psyched! I can't believe this is actually happening and won't until it does! Here's the news from billhicks.com:

"The Late Show with David Letterman" has scheduled a telecast of the never-before-aired October 1, 1993 Bill Hicks appearance. The program it will be shown on is currently set for taping in New York City on Monday, January 26, 2009 for airing Friday, January 30, 2009 on your local CBS affiliate. We'd like to acknowledge and thank Bill's many fans and everyone who has had a hand in keeping Bill's comedy and philosophy alive. We hope everyone can tune in and experience what you may have missed or what you may barely remember – Bill Hicks performing for a national audience on network television.

Note: this comes almost 15 years after Bill died--February 26, 1994--and more than 15 years after the actual taping. Shows how ahead of his time he was.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:33:27 AM by punkdrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: BILL HICKS' FINAL LETTERMAN APPEARANCE TO BE AIRED!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:04:11 PM »
OK. This is important because NO ONE has seen this performance. Bill didn't get a copy before he died, and his family and friends haven't seen it either. Obviously, Letterman wants to try and make amends esp. since it's coming up on the 15th anniversary of Bill's death, so now he figures it's safe to air this segment. To whet your appetites, I'm posting a rough transcript (based on Bill's memory of it) for you all to look at:

”Oh, hello. Good evening, folks.

”As I said, I’m very excited. I finally got my own show on TV, entitled Let’s Hunt and Kill Billy Ray Cyrus. I think it’s fairly self-explanatory. We’re kicking the whole series off with our M.C. Hammer/Marky Mark/Vanilla Ice Christmas special.

”You know, I consider myself a fairly open-minded person, but have you heard about these new grade-school books! One’s called Heather Has Two Mommies. The other one is Daddy’s New Roommate. I gotta draw the line here and say this is absolutely disgusting. Grotesque.

”I’m talking, of course, about Daddy’s New Roommate.

”Heather Has Two Mommies, on the other hand, is quite fetching. You know, they kiss in Chapter 4! Oooh! Go, mommies, go!

”You know what really bugs me these days! These pro-lifers. You ever look at them!”

A prune face, southern accent: “I’m pro-life.” “Boy, they look it, don’t they! They just exude joie de vivre. You just want to hang with them and play Trivial Pursuit all night long. If you’re so pro-life, do me a favor: Don’t lock arms and block medical clinics, lock arms and block cemeteries!”

”I was in Australia during Easter. They celebrate the same way we do—commemorating the death and Resurrection of Jesus by telling our children a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night.

”You know, I’ve read the Bible. I can t find the words ‘bunny’ or ‘chocolate’ anywhere. Where do we get this stuff! No wonder we’re so messed up as a race. Like wearing crosses around your neck. Nice sentiment, but do you think, when Jesus comes back, he’s really gonna want to look at a cross! Maybe that’s why he hasn’t shown up yet.”

Jesus in Heaven: “I’m not going back, Dad. They’re still wearing crosses. They totally missed the point, Dad!”

The audience roars.

”Thank you very much.” Click. Seven minutes.

Applause. Whistles. Calls for more.

”Beautiful,” says Bill. He beams. “I appreciate that, folks.

Friday night, I did that set on Letterman. It was canceled because they felt you are too stupid to know that those were jokes. This is exactly what’s wrong with this country: Networks and politicians kowtowing to special-interest groups, to some guy in a trailer with a fuckin’ crayon in his hand, writing in chicken scrawl: I saw a guy talkin’ bad ‘bout Jesus on your show . I ain’t gonna tune in no mo’. Come on!

”The truth is, the majority of people are very reasonable. They don’t write letters when something offends them on TV. ‘Cause reasonable people know that IT’S JUST FUCKIN’ TELEVISION! And not only that, reasonable people HAVE A LIFE! They know I was not making fun of Jesus. They know I did not make fun of gays. What I made fun of is the double standard that exists in this fucking country.

”And you know, the worst thing of all is that I love the Letterman show.

They’ve always been very good to—well, to be honest, every single set I’ve ever done they’ve de-balled me, okay? And I put up with it because I love Dave Letterman. I’m beginning to realize: I’m in an abusive fuckin’ relationship.

”And do you want to know the punch line of this whole story?

” ‘Bill, we really love ya. We want you back on in a coupla weeks.’

”I don’t know if I can learn to juggle that fast.”

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
Put a post here to remind everyone the day it airs please I am bad with dates but check he a lot
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
Bill Hicks' final appearance on David Letterman to be aired--finally!-- on Friday, January 30, 2009, 11:30 PM

That is all.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 05:32:47 AM »
Only 2 shopping days left until Bill Hicks' final appearance to be aired on the Late Show with David Letterman. That is January 30, 2009. That is all.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
That shit better be on P2P very soon afterwards. If anyone gets any links, post em here or PM them, ed2k or public torrent will do.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »
Just a quick reminder that Bill's mom, Mary Hicks, is David Letterman's guest on "The Late Show" tonight following the local news on CBS -- about 7:30 am Saturday morning London time -- featuring the first-ever broadcast of Bill's infamously cut October 1, 1993 routine. Fans outside the US may be able to view the show more-or-less live via www.tvunetworks.com (some setup required). Clips should be available on www.veoh.com and/or at lateshow.cbs.com after the show. Enjoy
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:06:00 PM by punkdrew »

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 12:01:17 PM »
Thanks for posting it :plus:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw