Educational

Author Topic: what did you do immediately before posting here?  (Read 5634 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: what did you do immediately before posting here?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
Washed my hands.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »
Posted on Aspie Paradise.

What the heck is Aspie Paradise?
Fiona's new site.

Cool. *off to go link hunting*

I just cleaned the kitchen and daydreamed about advocacy.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2008, 09:59:45 PM »
Posted on Aspie Paradise.

What the heck is Aspie Paradise?
Fiona's new site.

Cool. *off to go link hunting*

I just cleaned the kitchen and daydreamed about advocacy.

It is also in ASD Related Links, but here it is:

http://aspergersgirl.com/index.php

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2008, 12:41:43 AM »
I posted in the "what are you going to do after you've finished posting here?" thread.

:lol:

you are a very naughty boy.  :P

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2008, 02:51:29 AM »
Had a bet on some tennis games.
batcat

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2008, 03:29:25 AM »
Had a piss.
batcat

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2008, 04:30:14 AM »
Sorted out my vomit ridden bed.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2008, 04:34:42 AM »
Enjoyed a trip to the library. Brought home seven books, ten CDs and five DVDs. The CDs will be ripped, of course and two of the DVDs are from a spankin' new library acquisition - the complete PBS/Ken Burns series,  JAZZ.  I brought back the first two in the series. The other three are for the kids - one each,  National Geographic, Nova, Nature.

I'm interested to know what process/method you use to rip your CDs. I'm a EAC/Lame/The GodFather man myself.

EAC/FLAC

One of the things I am fighting right now is that my "good" reader/writer went KAPOOT! I have tried using a relatively simple Samsung unit, quite modern, but honestly my ancient Pacific Digital DVD-ROM reader rips with far fewer errors on any kind of media. It's funny, I paid about four hundred dollars for a top grade Plextor, which went nuts and burned itself up, and it was a "little better"  at reading than the old DVD ROM internal that I paid about forty dollars for.
I have never seen one write better than the Plextor, though, and I've been through a lot of writers.

I use a number of software players for various reasons. For when I connect directly to the M-Audio sound card I use Winamp, because it sounds better than any other I've tried.

I also use a Logitech external DAC which accesses Windows Explorer and saves its own library file on each drive (and thus accesses my entire 2TB of music files) via USB. It makes even better coupling to my audio system (no, I'm not running computer speakers of any sort, other than a set of Klipsch Pro Media for quick background music, but my system is connected to my computer through the Logitach device).

What I really want to get (for playback) eventually is a Squeezebox and have the best Burr Brown chips installed, along with a beefed up power supply and modified output stage which is more tolerant of impedance mismatches in the downline stream.

Oh, some of the AudioPhools I have been in contact with online swear by removing the power supply from the Squeezebox entirely and subbing in a system of rechargeable lithium batteries. This removes a level of EMI from the unit (the main reason to get this part of the process out of the computer box, by using an external DAC in the first place),  offering the most pure DC power available to us, supposedly. It makes sense, but my way of thinking is that you need more current on certain occasions than small batteries can produce and removing the power supply, beefing and buffing it up some, to a remote location and cabling it back with Teflon shielded solid silver twisted cable would be better for my needs. That way, you could use "left hand rule" to your advantage as you bring the cable, carrying your power supply, back into the unit from various angles. Besides I hate depending on re-chargeable batteries for anything.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:03:14 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2008, 07:09:15 AM »

Had a piss.

come on, which one?!  or are you just postwhoring?  :smarty:

or, worst of all, did you piss in the bookie's?  :laugh:

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »

Had a piss.

come on, which one?!  or are you just postwhoring?  :smarty:

or, worst of all, did you piss in the bookie's?  :laugh:

I had quite a few bets.
I've had one winner and one loser so far - I will be lucky if i break even today.
Lejnieks beating Kudryavtsev would be a nice result.
As would Shalone in the 2.40 at Exeter.  :laugh:
batcat

Offline ApotheosisIV

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • interweb
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 07:45:24 AM »
Yay, it beats working  :woohoo:
batcat

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 08:29:30 AM »
Drove to work!
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2008, 08:36:35 AM »
Enjoyed a trip to the library. Brought home seven books, ten CDs and five DVDs. The CDs will be ripped, of course and two of the DVDs are from a spankin' new library acquisition - the complete PBS/Ken Burns series,  JAZZ.  I brought back the first two in the series. The other three are for the kids - one each,  National Geographic, Nova, Nature.

I'm interested to know what process/method you use to rip your CDs. I'm a EAC/Lame/The GodFather man myself.

EAC/FLAC

One of the things I am fighting right now is that my "good" reader/writer went KAPOOT! I have tried using a relatively simple Samsung unit, quite modern, but honestly my ancient Pacific Digital DVD-ROM reader rips with far fewer errors on any kind of media. It's funny, I paid about four hundred dollars for a top grade Plextor, which went nuts and burned itself up, and it was a "little better"  at reading than the old DVD ROM internal that I paid about forty dollars for.
I have never seen one write better than the Plextor, though, and I've been through a lot of writers.

I use a number of software players for various reasons. For when I connect directly to the M-Audio sound card I use Winamp, because it sounds better than any other I've tried.

I also use a Logitech external DAC which accesses Windows Explorer and saves its own library file on each drive (and thus accesses my entire 2TB of music files) via USB. It makes even better coupling to my audio system (no, I'm not running computer speakers of any sort, other than a set of Klipsch Pro Media for quick background music, but my system is connected to my computer through the Logitach device).

What I really want to get (for playback) eventually is a Squeezebox and have the best Burr Brown chips installed, along with a beefed up power supply and modified output stage which is more tolerant of impedance mismatches in the downline stream.

Oh, some of the AudioPhools I have been in contact with online swear by removing the power supply from the Squeezebox entirely and subbing in a system of rechargeable lithium batteries. This removes a level of EMI from the unit (the main reason to get this part of the process out of the computer box, by using an external DAC in the first place),  offering the most pure DC power available to us, supposedly. It makes sense, but my way of thinking is that you need more current on certain occasions than small batteries can produce and removing the power supply, beefing and buffing it up some, to a remote location and cabling it back with Teflon shielded solid silver twisted cable would be better for my needs. That way, you could use "left hand rule" to your advantage as you bring the cable, carrying your power supply, back into the unit from various angles. Besides I hate depending on re-chargeable batteries for anything.

Okay, you put a lot more into it than I do. I use EAC (still haven't set it up for my new Drive, Pioneer DVR-215), Lame 3.97 with "--preset fast standard" (MP3s mainly for the compatibility), The GodFather for doing all the tagging. On my main PC output is currently a Realtek 889a onboard using DTS Connect to my Yamaha TSS-15 using SPDIF Coax, not entirely happy with how it sounds/works, My last motherboard used a C-Media 9880 using Dolby Digital Live and sounded a whole lot better and it worked with the system a whole lot better too. I also use Winamp to play.

On my Media PC I have a B-gears Enspire which uses a C-Media Oxygene Chip and that is connected to my Sony Surround Sound Receiver using SPDIF Optical and I use MediaPortal to play. That sounds a whole lot better than my main PC. I'm looking to get a Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 Soundcard or an Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 Cinema and hopefully either of them are better than this Realtek in how they handle multichannel system audio (AC3 and DTS Passthough are fine).

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2008, 12:19:47 PM »
I think I yawned. Before that, I finished writing an email.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »
Yeah, this shit gets boring, doesn't it?

All I can say is that if you can not hear the difference in the direction that your cabling carries signal or which angle it enters your other equipment or whether or not the unused inputs are terminated or whether your amplifier sits on wood or rock or if your speaker cables are too big or if there is a noisy coffee cup sitting in the next room ...

... consider yourself  blessed by the audio gods.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 01:08:54 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.