Educational

Author Topic: Over 40's thread....  (Read 18546 times)

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
Re: Over 40's thread....
« Reply #510 on: December 02, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
Waking up stiff and in pain. Thought it was age, but turns out for me it was weight.
I've lost a lot of weight this year and something my doctor told me is that for every 1 pound of weight that you lose, you decrease 4 pounds of pressure off of your hips and knees. That definitely helps.

I should do this.

Time for some 2/5 again?
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #511 on: December 03, 2019, 12:12:41 PM »
Waking up stiff and in pain. Thought it was age, but turns out for me it was weight.
I've lost a lot of weight this year and something my doctor told me is that for every 1 pound of weight that you lose, you decrease 4 pounds of pressure off of your hips and knees. That definitely helps.

I should do this.

Time for some 2/5 again?

I've been thinking about doing just that.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #512 on: December 03, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »
I do not think my little girl will be too far removed. If i get a say, i will make her stay as long as she can

"IF,"  you say. That is the whole deal, right?

Mine is not going to move across the country, but she wants her own place. At almost nineteen, I do not blame her, "much." 
I was married at nineteen and had lived out from my parents for over a year. Marriage failed, but I did not.

I can empathize.
How old is your daughter?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #513 on: December 03, 2019, 05:25:18 PM »
I hear you, DD.

I left home at age 18. Over three hour journey away from my parents. For a few weeks I came home every weekend. But soon that changed into once a fortnight and less.
Loved my parents. Also loved living my life away from them.

Oldest left the house at 18. Love her, love her to come and visit. Love her to sleep over, now and then. The latter hardly ever happens. But most of all I love seeing her grow into this awesome young woman, living her own life, making up her own mind, growing and fine-tuning her own opinions. Exploring her own cooking styles and what she like to drink.

Loved every moment in her live, from the first gasp of air to who she is now.
Couldn't be more proud of her than I am. And leaving the house was part of that process of growing I to who she is now.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #514 on: December 03, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
And I expect youngest to leave the place too, in 2020.
She's about the age of your daughter, DD.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #515 on: December 06, 2019, 02:55:49 AM »
Well, my daughter is leaving in less than a month now. It feels odd. I went to see the new place with her the other day and it all became real, somehow.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #516 on: December 06, 2019, 11:00:34 AM »
Well, my daughter is leaving in less than a month now. It feels odd. I went to see the new place with her the other day and it all became real, somehow.
That's a very bittersweet occasion for both of you :hug:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #517 on: December 06, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »
The boy wants his own place desperately, but there are still pieces of the equation he's struggling with.

He'll get there eventually, and I will celebrate his "independence" while missing him horribly I imagine.

Right now it's just one day at a time.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #518 on: December 06, 2019, 12:39:18 PM »

It's horrible, and it's wonderful.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #519 on: December 06, 2019, 02:40:40 PM »

Exactly that. The kids and I were recently talking about me being an empty nester and what that would look like for me. On one hand, I'm looking forward to being to devote some solid time to myself and not having to be juggling everyone else's needs and schedules. On the other hand, I always sleep better when all of my kids are home and THAT will be a huge issue for me to try to find my new norm with.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #520 on: December 07, 2019, 01:10:33 PM »
And I expect youngest to leave the place too, in 2020.
She's about the age of your daughter, DD.

I hope you have a chance to "manage" and "help" with the transitional stages.
I have and it means a lot to me.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #521 on: December 07, 2019, 01:18:40 PM »
The boy wants his own place desperately, but there are still pieces of the equation he's struggling with.

He'll get there eventually, and I will celebrate his "independence" while missing him horribly I imagine.

Right now it's just one day at a time.

I like the use of the phrase, "celebrate his independence," because we ultimately have to do that, each of us.

My dad did that for me, by basically kicking me out. I had already been on my own for a few years, hitched up with a girl, then married her, got a divorce, then stayed out on my own. My business had grown to the point that I was always gone and keeping an apartment to stay in for a few days a month was just stupid. I moved back into my old bedroom at my parent's house. I then helped my dad set up his new shop, built everything inside, stayed for about a year, because "he needed me." 

Then he told me to just go, move to San Antonio, follow your interests. Make your own way. I stuck around a while, missing some opportunities,  until he told me he was going to fire me.

Of course he was just trying to help me try out my wings, again.
My dad was awesome!

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #522 on: December 07, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »
I stuck around until I was going on 30. I wanted to go sooner, eyed up a couple places and passed up a nice trailer and 2 acres in a rural area that I could have managed, but my dad kept having stroke after stroke, and was bouncing to one hospital to another, and me the person that never goes anywhere drove my mom daily for awhile to Pittsburgh and back while silently fighting panic attacks in traffic.

The year he died I was invited to go to the beach with a couple friends, I said no, and he basically threw my suitcase out the door with his swiss army knife tucked inside. He passed away two months later when I got back and there was a mess to straighten out with his insurance and final wishes. I think the sounds of the ocean in my head helped ground me through it all.   

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #523 on: December 08, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
I stuck around until I was going on 30. I wanted to go sooner, eyed up a couple places and passed up a nice trailer and 2 acres in a rural area that I could have managed, but my dad kept having stroke after stroke, and was bouncing to one hospital to another, and me the person that never goes anywhere drove my mom daily for awhile to Pittsburgh and back while silently fighting panic attacks in traffic.

The year he died I was invited to go to the beach with a couple friends, I said no, and he basically threw my suitcase out the door with his swiss army knife tucked inside. He passed away two months later when I got back and there was a mess to straighten out with his insurance and final wishes. I think the sounds of the ocean in my head helped ground me through it all.
There's a lot of hard and yet beauty in all of that :hug:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #524 on: December 11, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »

Exactly that. The kids and I were recently talking about me being an empty nester and what that would look like for me. On one hand, I'm looking forward to being to devote some solid time to myself and not having to be juggling everyone else's needs and schedules. On the other hand, I always sleep better when all of my kids are home and THAT will be a huge issue for me to try to find my new norm with.

My wife always asks me to stay up until both kids are back home. Not sure what will happen when the daughter moves out.

- Albert Einstein