Educational

Author Topic: Over 40's thread....  (Read 18539 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Re: Over 40's thread....
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »
Will be 45 in November. Sometimes feel like it. Sometimes older. Sometimes much younger.

When I was in my last year of high school, I not only thought but actually HOPED I wouldn't live any longer. I'm amazed that I'm still here, and still find myself saying "I'm glad to be alive." Even in this "turkey burger" economy.

As for helping people--I've tried, and I keep trying. But really living means being not only able but willing to change and grow, and most people don't want to do that.  Even while the world economy and energy grid seem to be running down (a la CITY OF EMBER) those of us trying to change things for better still seem to be in the minority. That won't stop me, however, any more than it will stop me from being an artist. Mostly because I can't help myself.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2008, 06:33:30 PM »
really living means being not only able but willing to change and grow, and most people don't want to do that. 

Most people find their confort zone and kid themselves they are forward thinking people, but reality is they are stuck in the past and haven't evolved in decades. They learn a few new tricks with tech toys and think they are with it as they play with the latest gadgits to hit the market but reality is they don't want anything to disturb their lives.

here in vermont there are nut cases running around calling themselves progressives, they are really regressives trying to turn back the clock a century or two or at least decades.

Wacko's calling themselves urban planners want to take society back over 50 years and bring back trollly's now called light rail mass transit to shuttle people from bedroom communities into a central city full of office buildings. News flash, the days of the huge factories in cities employing thousands of workers are long gone and there is no reason to not have office buildings in the burbs where people actually want to live. They left the cities because of the crime & grim and annoying neighbors way too close for confort.

if people where actually progressive they would be pushing for regional zoning and pushing to spread out the jobs to near where people live.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 12:45:20 AM »
:blah: :blah:

you really are a complete knob, aren't you.  ::)

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 02:22:22 AM »

I couldn't have put it better myself. :clap:

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2008, 02:25:21 AM »
i'd hate to be 20 now.

I wouldn't mind being 20 again... but with some conditions attached to the deal.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2008, 03:22:57 PM »

knob ?? is that supposed to mean something

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2008, 03:24:45 PM »

why yes, yes it is. 

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »

Yes. It is something you twist roughly when opening a stiff door :thumbup:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2008, 08:20:06 PM »

Oh, then I'm glad I didn't start an argument with Lucifer. I thought she meant the kind with a head.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
really living means being not only able but willing to change and grow, and most people don't want to do that. 

Most people find their confort zone and kid themselves they are forward thinking people, but reality is they are stuck in the past and haven't evolved in decades. They learn a few new tricks with tech toys and think they are with it as they play with the latest gadgits to hit the market but reality is they don't want anything to disturb their lives.

Here in vermont there are nut cases running around calling themselves progressives; they are really regressives trying to turn back the clock a century or two or at least decades.

Wackos calling themselves urban planners want to take society back over 50 years and bring back trollly's now called light rail mass transit to shuttle people from bedroom communities into a central city full of office buildings. News flash, the days of the huge factories in cities employing thousands of workers are long gone and there is no reason to not have office buildings in the burbs where people actually want to live. They left the cities because of the crime & grim and annoying neighbors way too close for confort.

if people were actually progressive they would be pushing for regional zoning and pushing to spread out the jobs to near where people live.

I agree with most of what you said, esp. as regards planners. They operate from a set of assumptions about Homo sapiens that are mostly invalid. That's why the USSR collapsed. Or, as Zappa put it, the thing the Soviets forgot is that people want to own stuff. They don't want to be forced to share living quarters, or forced to shop at the same store (GUM) where they may or may not be able to purchase needed materials and foodstuffs.  Voluntary co-ops are another thing. (See my message re establishing a group home under ASD Advocacy.)

Generally, I find that even the most openminded progressives want to turn back the clock to the 1920s. I'm not sure they realize the full socio-bio-eco-ramifications of doing so. 
However, I think instead of physically moving the jobs to where people live, I'd like to see more telecommuting and automation come into play. As J.R. "Bob" Dobbs used to say, "Let the robots do the shitwork, and *we'll* take their pay." ;)

OTOH, I have serious reservations about some tech innovations, such as gengineered crops. I don't like that there's no labeling structure in place, and so far Monsanto et.al. have chosen not to label gengineered foodstuffs as such. Also a concern about gene splices: let's say someone can eat tomatoes OK but is allergic to corn. If you splice some corn genes into the tomatoes, you have a built-in health risk. Also there's the proprietary rights issue: what if pollen or seeds from a gengineered crop migrate onto a neighboring field using more conventional seeds? Under US patent law, the company that made the g seeds would have the right to sue the farmer for interference with their commerce. Monsanto has already sued one farmer for literally "being in the way" of their proprietary seeds. BTW, I've been called a wacko for expressing such concerns.

That's my 25 cents worth (prorated for inflation).
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2008, 12:15:42 AM »

Oh, then I'm glad I didn't start an argument with Lucifer. I thought she meant the kind with a head.

i did.  ;)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
monsanto...   :grrr:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2008, 07:45:13 AM »

i did.  ;)

;)
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 05:28:21 PM »

Here in vermont there are nut cases running around calling themselves progressives; they are really regressives trying to turn back the clock a century or two or at least decades.

Wackos calling themselves urban planners want to take society back over 50 years and bring back trollly's now called light rail mass transit to shuttle people from bedroom communities into a central city full of office buildings. News flash, the days of the huge factories in cities employing thousands of workers are long gone and there is no reason to not have office buildings in the burbs where people actually want to live. They left the cities because of the crime & grim and annoying neighbors way too close for confort.

if people were actually progressive they would be pushing for regional zoning and pushing to spread out the jobs to near where people live.

I agree with most of what you said, esp. as regards planners. They operate from a set of assumptions about Homo sapiens that are mostly invalid. That's why the USSR collapsed. Or, as Zappa put it, the thing the Soviets forgot is that people want to own stuff. They don't want to be forced to share living quarters, or forced to shop at the same store (GUM) where they may or may not be able to purchase needed materials and foodstuffs.  Voluntary co-ops are another thing. (See my message re establishing a group home under ASD Advocacy.)

Generally, I find that even the most openminded progressives want to turn back the clock to the 1920s. I'm not sure they realize the full socio-bio-eco-ramifications of doing so. 
However, I think instead of physically moving the jobs to where people live, I'd like to see more telecommuting and automation come into play. As J.R. "Bob" Dobbs used to say, "Let the robots do the shitwork, and *we'll* take their pay." ;)

OTOH, I have serious reservations about some tech innovations, such as gengineered crops. I don't like that there's no labeling structure in place, and so far Monsanto et.al. have chosen not to label gengineered foodstuffs as such. Also a concern about gene splices: let's say someone can eat tomatoes OK but is allergic to corn. If you splice some corn genes into the tomatoes, you have a built-in health risk. Also there's the proprietary rights issue: what if pollen or seeds from a gengineered crop migrate onto a neighboring field using more conventional seeds? Under US patent law, the company that made the g seeds would have the right to sue the farmer for interference with their commerce. Monsanto has already sued one farmer for literally "being in the way" of their proprietary seeds. BTW, I've been called a wacko for expressing such concerns.

That's my 25 cents worth (prorated for inflation).

They think what they think is good for everyone. Some people think living in Manhatten is the greatest thing in the world and others look at it like living in hell and it's the same deal with the rural lifestyle, some love it and others look at it as some boring wasteland without something called culture which mostly amounts to sitting on their asses watching other people do something instead of doing something themselves.

It's true we could produce everything we need and than some with ease

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »
  Time for a new batch of old bats to post here! I will begin! I'm 45!   :bat:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."