Author Topic: Stimulus  (Read 1444 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
Re: Stimulus
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
That was very different. The rest of the western world was not in recession.
Slightly different. If they can get lending working again most of the problems will eventually go away tbh. Public's works projects are a very good way of improving the infrastructure whilst stopping mass unemployment.

Don't be so sure. There's no point in lending if it's fantasy money to begin with.
Is there such a thing these days as non-fantasy money?

Money that is backed by actual gold or by other commodities, it still exists. Credit is nothing more than an I.O.U + Interest really, hence fantasy money because it doesn't exist until the debtor pays the loan back, with real money that is backed by commodities.

Gold is nothing but dirt...

At about $920 per ounce currently, it's very expensive dirt nonetheless. It's recognized as a global tender and the total sum of banknotes in current times, must be backed by gold reserves in government treasuries for it to be worth any real value. Let me put it this way, in a major financial crisis when it costs billions of dollars worth of banknotes to buy a loaf of bread due to hyperinflation, gold is useful to have for a tender to buy, sell or trade, even jewelery too. I know this because my relatives in Germany back in the Great Depression had to sell their jewelery for food to survive, as the banknotes were worthless.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 06:38:54 PM by Nexus »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »
I just got a one-off stimuli of $950. Thank you government! :zoinks:
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 07:42:01 AM »
I got that, too. :) What did you buy?

I bought a microwave (our old one quit working about a month ago), a single seat lounge chair and a new pair of shoes because my old ones are falling apart. I still have some money left. Might get my car serviced with it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2009, 02:41:32 AM »
You wouldn't believe how much we got, around $3000.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2009, 11:33:38 PM »
Yes, thank the gov't for what it never should have taken in the 1st place.

"If the Mob does it, it's extorsion. If the govt does it, it's legal."--Robert Anton Wilson, REALITY IS WHAT YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2009, 06:24:43 AM »
I got that, too. :) What did you buy?

I bought a microwave (our old one quit working about a month ago), a single seat lounge chair and a new pair of shoes because my old ones are falling apart. I still have some money left. Might get my car serviced with it.

I'm saving up for a laptop, so for now it's sitting in my higher-interest account.

Noice avatar btw ;)
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2009, 06:45:43 AM »
one way for the taxpayers to get their money back from the banks is...
walk away from your home.

if you bought a home in the past five years then stop making payments.  it will take about a year fro the bank to get you out of the home.  meanwhile, you can save all that money you are currently paying for your mortgage.  and on the brightside, it only takes three years after a forclosure to qualify for an FHA loan.   and, in three to four years is about a good time to buy again, considering the recession should be over, people will just be getting back on their feet, and the housing market would have likely bottomed out and leveled off by then.

stimulate yourselves people.  screw the banks.

Misunderstood.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 04:15:15 AM »

if you bought a home in the past five years then stop making payments.  it will take about a year fro the bank to get you out of the home.  meanwhile, you can save all that money you are currently paying for your mortgage.  and on the brightside, it only takes three years after a forclosure to qualify for an FHA loan.   and, in three to four years is about a good time to buy again, considering the recession should be over, people will just be getting back on their feet, and the housing market would have likely bottomed out and leveled off by then.

That is one hell of a gamble, my money is that eventually they will get around to tightening up who can get credit and with a shot credit rating you have little chance of getting any form of loan.

Offline Small Penis

• Boring troll
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:40 AM »

That is one hell of a gamble, my money is that eventually they will get around to tightening up who can get credit and with a shot credit rating you have little chance of getting any form of loan.
wanna lick my nut sack tonight?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 06:52:18 AM »

i doubt that.

big business relies on credit flowing to the poor so they can charge you much for less.

either credit needs to flow, or the common worker needs better wages.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 06:59:54 AM by McArmstrong »
Misunderstood.

TheoK

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 06:57:59 AM »
You can't buy houses and land here like you could before. My parents have a garden that is 3/4 of an acre. When my granddad bought it in 1959, it cost about $800 in the currency back then. Today, with the bigger house and the higher estate prices it'd cost about $200000...

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2009, 01:41:22 AM »

i doubt that.

big business relies on credit flowing to the poor so they can charge you much for less.

Good point.  Plus if a poor person can't even get credit but wants to buy new things anyway, they're screwed big time.  They have those rent-to-own stores that completely gouge people with the prices they wind up paying for the stuff they get.  If it were interest they were paying as opposed to "rent-to-own" prices, it would be usurious.  And of course if they can't afford to keep up paying those inflated prices, their stuff gets reposessed.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2009, 10:55:16 PM »

i doubt that.

Good point.  Plus if a poor person can't even get credit but wants to buy new things anyway, they're screwed big time.  They have those rent-to-own stores that completely gouge people with the prices they wind up paying for the stuff they get.  If it were interest they were paying as opposed to "rent-to-own" prices, it would be usurious.  And of course if they can't afford to keep up paying those inflated prices, their stuff gets reposessed.

Read some of the stuff here about them http://rent-a-center.pissedconsumer.com/
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw