Educational

Author Topic: My handle explained at last  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Walkie

• Wooden sword crusader of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
My handle explained at last
« on: July 15, 2006, 03:12:06 PM »
Ummm...right

Walkie here

short for Drunkard's Walk

Short for a) an SFnovel by Frederick Pohl
("A number theorist is suffering from frequent and inexplicable suicide attempts, the latest victim of a small epidemic among academia. In between lectures on Pascal's triangle and the binomial theorem and numerous other mathematical details, along with several close calls on his life, the number theorist investigates a puzzling statistical anomaly and comes to a startling (and dangerous) conclusion about society. " ~randomly selected review
but hell, that was a long time ago. I clean forget what the startling conclusion was. .)

short for b, etceteras ) say,  Brownian motion, or the path of a newborn photon as it makes i'ts way out of the sun

or an algorithm, useful  for mapping irregular boundaries ( might come in handy here)

or, well, you know, I'm dyspraxic, and nobody noticed or believed me when I tell them I gave up drinking long ago.

But it was mostly the other tuff iinspired me. Honest! I thought everybody knew all that. I was gonna cal myself "random" (way back in the days of semi- mythical Aspergia) but it was already taken. Then I suddely had one of my brilliant ideas.

Heh.

Well, it stuck, anyway

And now I'm here. Sort of.

I've been lurking so long, I lost my "rookie-be-kind-to -me" status. (ooh. I'm scared)

..Well if  "busy with other stuff" counts as lurking.

Don't know what I'm doing here. But hey! That's normal, in my world.

~Walkie

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: My handle explained at last
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 03:18:54 PM »
Hi Walkie.  I did wonder how you invented your handle.  I'm glad you decided to post.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 03:19:42 PM »
hi there.

hope its not too scary here.
once we get a handle on flo, we should be alright.  but what to do about me.

anyways, hope you have a little fun here.
Misunderstood.

duncvis

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 03:22:19 PM »
Hi Walkie, I recognise you from Fractalus.  8) We don't bite much, unless you prod us with sticks.  :angel:

ozymandias

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 05:51:03 PM »
Hey Walkie!!!!!!!  Nice to see another familiar "face".  From aspergia to AspergianIsland to Fractalus to Neurolands to Here!  We should form our own wandering aspie society. ;D

Peace

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 08:27:05 AM »
Hiya,

Thanks for the welcome

good to see you people, too. I recognise you from Neurolands, McJ.  Obviously, I recognise Ozy, Dunc and Callaway(too late to pretend I don'yt know'em. Shucks ), not to mntion...ah alright, I won't mention 'em.

Ah, you can bite if you like, Dunc, but, must warn you;: I might...umm... sulk.

Callaway! Yep, loads of people ask about my handle and Ijust  kinda sigh(you might've noticed) , and change the subject, more often than not. 'cause I'm a slow typer and there  isn't any simple explanation. It's a bit like a poem: multiple references crammed inta sinlge image.( Hmm. Well, that's the sort of poetry I like , anyway. If it's easily translated  into prose, I fail to see why not say it in prose, in the first place. ??? ). Anyway, now I can just direct people to this thread  ;D. I'vre been meaning to post something like this for years  (omg, really. I'm that bad at procrastination). I might even correct my typos someday.

Ozy, hey! we already have our own wandering Aspie Society.  ;D  All we need is a name! Any bright ideas?

~Walkie

ozymandias

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
All I can think of is the Primary reason that I chose "Ozymandias" as a user name.  From the sci-fi trilogy of John Christopher.  A man wandering around pretending to be a fool, when He actually, observes keenly, assesses and then recruits disaffected youths(aspie??) to overthrow alien overlords.

So, how about "Wandering Fools",  ;)!!

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 05:19:17 AM »
So, how about "Wandering Fools",  ;)!!
Hey,  ;D  I like it.

But, hold on...is it unique enough.? I mean, there are shitloads of wandering fools around here, IMO.

~Walkie

ozymandias

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 05:38:37 AM »
Ok. how about "Wandering Philosopher Fools".

You do make a good point!

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 03:15:39 AM »
Hi its me Tom from AV.  I remember you talking about pink floyd in the windmill pub.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 04:06:39 AM »
Walkie here

You can change your name so on the forums it is seen as Walkie. Then you won't have to sign your name at the end of your posts (well, you don't have to do that anyway).  :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 01:26:52 PM »
Hi its me Tom from AV.  I remember you talking about pink floyd in the windmill pub.

Hey Tom! ;D Small world, huh?

Good to see you. Is AV still going?  I’ve been meaning to re-register sometime (but I’ve um, procrastinated as usual)  And  I’ve also  been meaning to get in touch with you. (My Mum’s been gettiing into genealogy. Suspect we might have some common ancestors. Really!)

Ah. The Windmill.   :) Fond memories.  D’you know that Deano came onto AI , ages ago, and reminisced about that? Heck, I really must sign up again. Send me a link?

~Walkie

richard

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 05:48:19 PM »
hello :)

Offline Walkie

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 07:14:28 AM »
Walkie here

You can change your name so on the forums it is seen as Walkie. Then you won't have to sign your name at the end of your posts (well, you don't have to do that anyway).  :)
Thanks,   renaeden.

That’s a good idea, except….well, Walkie is a sort of affectionate diminutive, I suppose,  which originated from my on-line  friends. I’m happy for everyone to call me Walkie (that's why I add that signature, so often)  but I’ve noticed, down the years,  that those who dislike me religiously stick to “Drunkard’s Walk” or DW for short.

Call me over-fastidious, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to force those people to address me as “Walkie” instead. But that’s what  I‘d be doing , effectively , if I changed my handle.

(PS. ‘Scuse the delay in responding. I’ve been too busy making  myself unpoular to keep up with this thread)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 07:21:47 AM »
Call me over-fastidious, but I don’t think it’s reasonable to force those people to address me as “Walkie” instead. But that’s what  I‘d be doing , effectively , if I changed my handle.
You can't force people to use a certain name anyway. Those who dislike you can call you other stuff.  ;)
If you want to change your name, do it because you want to. Don't worry what others think. It is your name.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae