Author Topic: Felt extremely generous today  (Read 324 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Felt extremely generous today
« on: June 26, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
I felt extremely generous today and felt like giving blood there was a mobile vampire bus set out at a local shopping center.  I parked and went to the door only to be told I'd have to registrar is one of the stores,  strike one.    They were no overly friendly , strike two.  I had never given blood before and they said there was a lot of paper work and it would take over an hour strike three.   I left I had  appointment in another town in an hour and a half.   WTF they are on TV all the time talking about the lack of people giving blood why not make it easy I would do it I was willing to do my part it's not like they pay me for my time so make it easy
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Felt extremely generous today
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:46:12 PM »
They have to cover their asses for legal reasons (what if you had an illness that could be transmitted by blood?) but I agree, they should have been more friendly, and the registering in stores bit was bullshit.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
It took all my nerves just to approach the Blood Wagon
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:25:23 PM »
I felt extremely generous today and felt like giving blood there was a mobile vampire bus set out at a local shopping center.  I parked and went to the door only to be told I'd have to registrar is one of the stores,  strike one.    They were no overly friendly , strike two.  I had never given blood before and they said there was a lot of paper work and it would take over an hour strike three.   I left I had  appointment in another town in an hour and a half.   WTF they are on TV all the time talking about the lack of people giving blood why not make it easy I would do it I was willing to do my part it's not like they pay me for my time so make it easy

I have given 7 gallons of my blood to the Red Cross, BUT, they have become increasingly ruder, more difficult to deal with, and at the last High school blood drive, after I gave, I couldn't find a seat at the snack table because it was full of high school "volunteers" hogging the seats and the Red Cross Nursing supervisor was sitting on her ass socializing.  The high school supevisor was no where to be found and when I mentioned this "problem"................I was blown off.  I did try to give in other places and was treated like piece of shit each time.   I'v given up, I've spoken up and it has done jack diddly squat shit. 

Pyraxis has a point about the legal reasons, but, this is a fact, they pay their nurses and phlebotomists JACK SHIT, so you get what you pay for!   :grrr:

If they want my blood.............they can KISS MY BLOODY FUCKING ASS!

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »
It took all my nerves just to approach the Blood Wagon

My husband's a lot like you about needles and donating blood, Parts.

The only time he has given blood was for our daughter before her open heart surgery because we didn't want her to have a "stranger's blood."

They called him asking him to donate again, but it took all his fortitude just to do it that one time.

Apparently, he has CMV negative blood, which is very good for newborns, especially premature ones.

We would not have our daughter if not for the kindness of about 20 strangers who donated their blood too, though.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »
I tried to give blood once at a college blood drive after 9-11, and got told I was on the borderline of too physically small and it might not be safe. I said I'd do it anyway, but then they tested my heart rate and it was too high. They had me go sit down for ten minutes to relax and tested me again and it was still too high, so they said I couldn't give blood.

I was also fighting anxiety, so parts, if you were on the edge of being too freaked out to approach the wagon, they might not have let you give it anyway. Sucks to be an easily overstimmed spectrumite.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:13:56 PM »
I tried to give blood once at a college blood drive after 9-11, and got told I was on the borderline of too physically small and it might not be safe. I said I'd do it anyway, but then they tested my heart rate and it was too high. They had me go sit down for ten minutes to relax and tested me again and it was still too high, so they said I couldn't give blood.

I was also fighting anxiety, so parts, if you were on the edge of being too freaked out to approach the wagon, they might not have let you give it anyway. Sucks to be an easily overstimmed spectrumite.

I was so overstimmed after that day that I went to two different places and gave a pint of blood at each place.

:D

One of my old doctors once told me that my blood was too rich in red blood cells and he could thin it with drugs or even salt tablets (I have always eaten a hell of a lot of salt), but I would be better off if I would simply share the wealth by donating blood on a regular basis. I have the most common blood type and at first I donated every three months (did not miss it very many times), for about ten years. He was right - it made me feel better. It was easy too, at first!

Then as I became well known as a constant donor, they would fucking call me on the telephone (I hate telephones. No, I FUCKING HATE telephones!!) to ask if I would come in and donate "right now"  and I did most of the time.  They always had some kind of emergency and if I didn't drop what I was doing and give them some blood when they asked, they would try to make me feel like a neglectful and uncaring person.

One day I got pissed! I never went back, until the day after 9-11, when I went in twice. My nurse "friend" who worked with me told me that was very bad, but I photographed a full schedule that afternoon with no problems.

Hey Parts, it sucks the way they treated you, but like Ozy says ... they get what they pay for and they also must keep their asses legally covered as Pyraxis mentioned.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:16:32 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 09:44:48 PM »
I have given blood in the past and have no trouble about the needle going in. But recently I found out that I have a blood clotting disorder (it clots too easily) so that answers the question of why my blood wouldn't come out fast enough and why the nurses kept moving the needle around to get the blood flowing again. I felt guilty that I could never give the full amount of blood that they wanted.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 06:07:45 AM »
I have never given blood.

My wife used to give blood all the time though... and after she stopped they kept calling, and harrassing us, trying to get her to come back in.  They even somehow found out our new phone number after we moved and kept calling still.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 06:34:17 AM »
This thread is making me feel dizzy.

My mother gives/gave blood all the freaking time. She even tried to get me to give blood when I was old enough. Dragged me in and everything, I told them I had a cold and then they wouldnt take my blood. That really pissed my mother off big time.

I am deathy scared of needles. It's like being stabbed with metal at the point where all the blood leaks out of your body. No thanks.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 06:46:12 AM »
at the point where all the blood leaks out of your body

You're a woman?  :o

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:07 AM »
at the point where all the blood leaks out of your body

You're a woman?  :o

Not today. Tomorrow doesnt look good either.

I mean like they stab you specificly where you will bleed, for the obvious reasons.

(Language is always playing pranks on me, making me look like a tool)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 01:20:13 PM »
I'm anemic, so I can't give blood. Actually, I would be the one receiving the blood.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law