Author Topic: Little girl drowned in the ocean from trying to find Spongebob  (Read 10627 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Anyone ever heard this?

I first heard it last week on WP when someone said a little girl drowned when she tried to find Spongebob. I wasn't sure if this was true or not because I have never heard it before on the news or in magazines. so I looked it up and saw it was just a myth. I wonder why someone would make this up? And people believed it. Some didn't because how would they know that's what she was doing. And my online friend said he doesn't think a kid be that dumb. Excuse me, kids have done stupid things like trying to fly because they saw Superman doing it. I have heard the talk and my boyfriend's father tried doing it once when he was little and he broke his leg. His parents said "Stupid kid" which I thought was uncalled for.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Little girl drowned in the ocean from trying to find Spongebob
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »
When I was younger it was all over the news about a kid who died by going into a sewer trying to find the Ninja Turtles. That one was true, I think.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:28:30 PM »
I remember when I was little, I thought the three bears lived in the forests in a house. I wanted to go over to their house and be Goldelocks but there weren't any big forests in my neighborhood and I wasn't allowed to take off by myself anyway. My mother would have just yelled at me.

I remember I used to think rainbows were made by spaceships because I saw it in ET and then I figured out that wasn't true because one day I saw a rainbow apppeared out of the blue.
Luckily I never thought there was a pot of gold at the end. My mother sure did and she found out on her own when she got on her bike and tried riding to the end of it and it kept moving. She was about 8 then if I remember right. 

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:56:48 AM »
I'm glad that the rumor was false.

People probably repeated it because they thought it was true, to warn parents to always keep a close watch on their kids.

I think that it could conceivably happen if parents did not watch their kids.  If a child was little enough, she might see a pineapple in the water and not know that Spongebob Squarepants is just a cartoon character.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:27:36 AM »
That's what the myth said about her. She was on a cruise ship and she saw a pineapple in the water and she said to her mother she is going to see spongebob. The mother said 'okay' thinking she meant the show but the little girl jumped overbaord.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:02:17 AM »
There always seems to be this thing about making up terrible stories that involves kids shows or characters. Such as the rumour that Steve from Blue's Clues commited suiside. Which is totally untrue.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 08:09:57 AM »
When I was 4, I wanted a crystal that glowed green like the one in Superman.  Sadly, my dream was not to be, and I settled for a plain quartz one instead.  Of course, now that I'm older and wiser, I know where I went wrong; I should have drilled a hole in the crystal and sealed in some tritium and a green phosphor with epoxy.  Stupid kid-me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:14:44 AM by Peter »
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
I'm glad that the rumor was false.

People probably repeated it because they thought it was true, to warn parents to always keep a close watch on their kids.

I think that it could conceivably happen if parents did not watch their kids.  If a child was little enough, she might see a pineapple in the water and not know that Spongebob Squarepants is just a cartoon character.

It could concievably happen to a naive grown up quite easily, albeit with a bit of clever hypnosis to help it along...

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:30:58 AM »
There always seems to be this thing about making up terrible stories that involves kids shows or characters. Such as the rumour that Steve from Blue's Clues commited suiside. Which is totally untrue.

There was also a rumor he was fired from the show for doing drugs but I found out that was not true. He quit so he could be a singer or something.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 11:35:46 AM »
I remember when I was 8, I was learning about our planet in school and I learned underneath us was lava, so one day I decided to come home and start digging in the backyard till I get to the lava. But I never made it, The ground got toio hard after I dug to the hard ground that was less than two feet below us. It was all dirt, not rocks and dirt where our swingset is. I eventually gave up. My mother knew I was doing it but she never told me I never make it that far down there and it is miles underneath us. Maybe she didn't want to dissapoint me and wanted me to figure it out by myself. I did, then I learned how deep our crust is.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
When I was younger it was all over the news about a kid who died by going into a sewer trying to find the Ninja Turtles. That one was true, I think.
I remember that actually.   Cowabunga indeed.

I can't imagine myself doing something like that, even though I often got lost in my imagination.   I used to pretend I was a Transformer.   It would annoy the shit out of my parents, so I persisted.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »
I remember I wanted to go down in the sewers when I was a kid because it was like a city under there from what I saw on TV but I never ever thought TMNT were real. But I never went down one because everytime I looked down the manhole, it was just a long cilander down there so I thought no sewers benieth us. But then I eventually figured out those just lead to the big underground like you see on TMNT. Besides I couldn't get the man hole covers up anyway.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
In Europe, you can book a guided tour of some of the sewer systems.  Today, we think of sewers as shit-filled nether regions, but when these sewers were first built, they were regarded as modern marvels.  (Of course, that's because they finally had something to put all the shit under the street instead of in the street.)

http://www.ooze.com/sewer/howto.html

When I was about maybe six, I remember going to Sea World and then, weeks later, hanging out by the sandy creek behind my house hoping to see a seal... in Florida.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 05:32:42 PM by garmonbozia »

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
I can't imagine myself doing something like that, even though I often got lost in my imagination.   I used to pretend I was a Transformer.   It would annoy the shit out of my parents, so I persisted.

I was always very careful not to get lost in my imagination - got read too many books about kids who did, and they always turned out looking really stupid, I guess. I'm a lot more lost in my imagination now than I was then.  :P It's proven to be good for the soul.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »
As soon as I read the title of this thread. I burst out laughing. I know very sadistic of me but that was my first reaction.
Park.